on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before Solved

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,517
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       28 Oct 2017 #171

    on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before


    Barman58 said: View Post
    You have to realise that the beeps you hear During a BIOS start-up sequence are different depending on the status of the start-up ...

    With an AMI Bios, (or variants modified by OEMs), if all is well and the BIOS starts up without any issues it will give a single Short beep and then start the Operating System.
    If there is a problem with the installed ram then the BIOS will Issue a Single Short Beep and Freeze the system, or stop with an error message on the screen ( this is the same exact beep as the one for a successful BIOS Boot), and you will need to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart the system, Other faults will generate different beep patterns and messages.

    I have listened to your sound file, on the other thread, and it sounds to be exactly like the Beep I hear everytime I start my Acer Desktop, HP Laptop and Custom Build Main System

    I agree that the fact that this beep sound may not have been audible prior to the installation of FCU and that is something that may be related to the new update, ( one of the BIOS options like Fast Start that windows prefers by default maybe?), but if the system is starting up well and not freezing or showing errors then I would not worry about it.

    If you switch off Quiet Boot,and / or Quick Boot, ( and possibly the Show LOGO option in the bios), you should see a scrolling list of messages during the boot Includes Bios and Pre GUI Windows - If you see no error messages during this I would suggest that your system is booting correctly and safely.

    If you would like to learn about the bios startup sequence and possible issues then this site is one of the better ones ... BIOS Beeps - The definitions of Bios error beep tones | biosflash.com
    @Barman58, I am sure the sound is normal but what bothers me is that it never did that before. I would like to do some future troubleshooting on it. Acer won’t update the BIOS for future updates or the drivers for future versions of Windows 10. They only supported it for the first version. Which I find silly. That’s how Acer is. My HP is still supported and so is my sister’s Toshiba laptop.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,837
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1809 - 17763.134 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       28 Oct 2017 #172

    Windows 10 is, (at least for the present), stated to be the last Windows ever, and the First version (1507) could well be considered as a different version to the current version (1709) under the older system as they are over two years apart. We will I believe see the 10 dropped from the name soon and the release numbers used instead. Manufacturers of hardware will likely follow Microsoft's lead and only support the last few versions of windows.

    This is a lot better for the OEM as it is for Microsoft as it reduces support costs substantially, which is an important part of running any company large or small . The issue with older hardware not being supported for the user is mitigated by the fact that the OS does not have to be purchased every few years.

    The amount of time that any OEM will support new versions will vary depending to the personal schedule for new release of hardware by each company and the changes occurring within windows ( support ending for a product does not always mean that it will no longer work.)
    Last edited by Barman58; 28 Oct 2017 at 08:44. Reason: Edited to clarify 1st pragraph
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,517
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       28 Oct 2017 #173

    Barman58 said: View Post
    Windows 10 is, (at least for the present), stated to be the last Windows ever, and the First version (1507) could well be considered as a new version under the older system as the current version (1709) as they are over two years apart. We will I believe see the 10 dropped from the name soon and the release numbers used instead. Manufacturers of hardware will likely follow Microsoft's lead and only support the last few versions of windows.

    This is a lot better for the OEM as it is for Microsoft as it reduces support costs substantially, which is an important part of running any company large or small . The issue with older hardware not being supported for the user is mitigated by the fact that the OS does not have to be purchased every few years.

    The amount of time that any OEM will support new versions will vary depending to the personal schedule for new release of hardware by each company and the changes occurring within windows ( support ending for a product does not always mean that it will no longer work.)
    I know that. I just like how it used to shut down versus the new way. It used to have the spinning dots and then the screen would go black and shut down. Now, it says “Shutting Down” on shutdown and “Please Wait” before it goes to the lock screen at startup. Just wish there was a way to change it back to the old way.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 532
    Windows 10 pro 18.09, Ubuntu 18.04, win 8.1 pro
       28 Oct 2017 #174

    Jesse Williams said: View Post
    @Barman58, I am sure the sound is normal but what bothers me is that it never did that before. I would like to do some future troubleshooting on it. Acer won’t update the BIOS for future updates or the drivers for future versions of Windows 10. They only supported it for the first version. Which I find silly. That’s how Acer is. My HP is still supported and so is my sister’s Toshiba laptop.
    I have an acer desktop, and it has the beep (from day one) as below:

    resume from sleep: NO beep
    resume from hibernate: NO beep
    power on using Windows (8.1) Fast Startup NO beep
    power on YES beep
    reboot YES beep
    (years of use)

    so probably when you hear the beep your PC reboots or it is powered ON ...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,517
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       28 Oct 2017 #175

    roy111 said: View Post
    I have an acer desktop, and it has the beep (from day one) as below:

    resume from sleep: NO beep
    resume from hibernate: NO beep
    power on using Windows (8.1) Fast Startup NO beep
    power on YES beep
    reboot YES beep
    (years of use)

    so probably when you hear the beep your PC reboots or it is powered ON ...
    Acer makes a pretty decent product, I am not going to lie. I used to have an Acer laptop that lasted for years that I gave to my brother. It is still going to strong to this day. But it wasn't supported for Windows 10. Only Windows 8. But one thing that they don't do like HP and Dell does is offer a tool like HP's Support Assistant or Dell's SupportAssist to check for and maintain your computer by checking the computer for updates from the manufacturer. All they offer is Acer Care Center which doesn't work for checking for the latest updates from the manufacturer. Here is the problem, I am not used to change. It goes along with my Autism. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update offered a drastic change over it's predecessor. But I guess I will have to get used to the new features and changes.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,837
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1809 - 17763.134 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       28 Oct 2017 #176

    Jesse, I am of course directed to the Acer site here in the UK not the US, But they do appear to have an automatic system for manufactures updates as shown with this link

    Download Drivers and Manuals | Acer Official Site

    I am surprised if they did not have the same for the larger US market

    Now if you click on the link above you will either get taken to the UK site or the US site ( if it exists and is automatically re-directed )

    If you are not redirected - found the UK site with a google search "acer driver downloads" and it was the first entry in the search list, be careful as a lot of the hits for the search will lead to 3rd party Driver tools which I would not recommend you use
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,517
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       28 Oct 2017 #177

    Barman58 said: View Post
    Jesse, I am of course directed to the Acer site here in the UK not the US, But they do appear to have an automatic system for manufactures updates as shown with this link

    Download Drivers and Manuals | Acer Official Site

    I am surprised if they did not have the same for the larger US market

    Now if you click on the link above you will either get taken to the UK site or the US site ( if it exists and is automatically re-directed )

    If you are not redirected - found the UK site with a google search "acer driver downloads" and it was the first entry in the search list, be careful as a lot of the hits for the search will lead to 3rd party Driver tools which I would not recommend you use
    Are you talking about Acer Care Center? If so, I already have that installed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,837
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1809 - 17763.134 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       28 Oct 2017 #178

    This is a page on their main support website - By keeping their latest drivers and information online the latest are always available as opposed to a local system which may be out of date ( unless it downloads everything from the site to the local system which can be inefficient)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,517
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       28 Oct 2017 #179

    Barman58 said: View Post
    This is a page on their main support website - By keeping their latest drivers and information online the latest are always available as opposed to a local system which may be out of date ( unless it downloads everything from the site to the local system which can be inefficient)
    Not sure I understand what you are saying.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,517
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       28 Oct 2017 #180

    If anyone is not happy with the added screens of "Shutting Down" and "Please Wait" upon powering down and powering up, please follow the link that I have listed for them to bring the old experience back.

    Feedback Hub - Windows Insider
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Fall Creators Update in General Support
Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not.
Good Day All I have been reading (here in other threads) that in the process of updating/grading that windows essentials will be removed and in so doing windows movie maker as well, is this true? and what else will be removed. I have...
Solved Oct 17 Creators Fall update in Installation and Upgrade
Why is the Fall Creators update coming on Sunday instead of Tuesday? I still haven't received the April Creators update. Will Fall update skip the April update? Just curious.
Fall Creators Update in General Support
Anyone know what changes or improvements will be in the fall update?
Read more: Microsoft will call Windows 10's next update the 'Autumn Creators Update' in the UK | Windows Central Update: The Windows 10 Autumn Creators Update will be called 'Fall Creators Update' after all | Windows Central
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:20.
Find Us