Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    4 Weeks Ago #1
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 x64

    Fall creators upgrade messed up my system


    I used the ISO to upgrade my PC to the fall update but after update the task bar is just dead clickable but not responsive.

    can't open start menu or action center or my networks or volume slider or access settings nothing working and i don't even able to access Settings to rollback to my previous windows!!! any help!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    4 Weeks Ago #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,337
    Windows 10 Pro

    Press Win (windows logo key + R to open a run dialog box. Run:
    netplwiz

    Click Add to add a new user account. Look for the link at the bottom of the next window that should pop up to "Sign in without a Microsoft Account (not recommended)". Click on that. Add a local user account. When you get back to the netplwiz window, click on the newly added account, then properties. Then group membership tab. Change it to administrator.

    Log in to the new user account you created and see if the problem exists in the new account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    4 Weeks Ago #3
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Press Win (windows logo key + R to open a run dialog box. Run:
    netplwiz

    Click Add to add a new user account. Look for the link at the bottom of the next window that should pop up to "Sign in without a Microsoft Account (not recommended)". Click on that. Add a local user account. When you get back to the netplwiz window, click on the newly added account, then properties. Then group membership tab. Change it to administrator.

    Log in to the new user account you created and see if the problem exists in the new account.
    I did that and tried to open actin center and it opened only once after that the problem appeared again!!

    I upgraded another machine with the same iso and didn't face that problem on it!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    4 Weeks Ago #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,337
    Windows 10 Pro

    It sounds like you either need to revert back to the previous version of Windows, or do a clean install of Fall Creator's Update. I would go for the clean install, because it appears as if there was something wrong with your Windows install to begin with that caused this problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    4 Weeks Ago #5
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 431
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Having the same issue.. Every other boot the start menu, cortana , Edge etc. won't open. I have uninstalled anything that can affect this and nothing works. Safe mode is fine.

    Also, when I get this hang and the start menu won't open. When reboot I get the message:

    "Task Host id stopping background tasks (Microsoft \ Windows \ Plug and Play \ Device Install Reboot required)"

    There should be no device install, everything is already detected and drivers loaded.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    4 Weeks Ago #6
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 23
    Win10

    Guys, i've done some experiments and found a problem cause. This is a "Diagnostic Policy Service", try to disable it in "Services" panel.
    Or just run this in cmd (as admin):
    Code:
    sc config DPS start= disabled
    And then reboot of course.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    4 Weeks Ago #7
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 431
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Didn't do it for me, sigh. Back to CU for me I guess.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    4 Weeks Ago #8
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit, Fall Creator's Update

    I got the very same issue after installing the update via the update assistant the day before yesterday. Yesterday I decided to perform a clean install of Windows on the system drive. Fixed the problem for the moment, had a few trouble free boots yesterday and earlier today. Now I installed some anti virus software (Panda Anti Virus Free) and the problem appeared again. Uninstalling fixed the problem for now.

    Now I realised it might have been caused by the AV software yesterday as well. I read some advice somewhere and thus removed all unnecessary USB devices and uninstalled the AV software before performing the update.

    Gonna try other AV software now and I'll report if the problem happens as well.

    Pretty pissed right now I didn't think about the AV software before doing the clean install.

    Regards,
    Reiche

    Edit: I just remembered I had the latest Intel chipset driver in mind which updated after running the Fall Creator's Update.
    Last edited by Reiche; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:02.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    4 Weeks Ago #9
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 10,945
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Quote Originally Posted by Geneo View Post
    Having the same issue.. Every other boot the start menu, cortana , Edge etc. won't open. I have uninstalled anything that can affect this and nothing works. Safe mode is fine.

    Also, when I get this hang and the start menu won't open. When reboot I get the message:

    "Task Host id stopping background tasks (Microsoft \ Windows \ Plug and Play \ Device Install Reboot required)"

    There should be no device install, everything is already detected and drivers loaded.
    Just wondering if it's related to your graphics driver. One person found that reverting to an older version allowed them to use their start menu with the FCU.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    3 Weeks Ago #10
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 431
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Reiche View Post
    I got the very same issue after installing the update via the update assistant the day before yesterday. Yesterday I decided to perform a clean install of Windows on the system drive. Fixed the problem for the moment, had a few trouble free boots yesterday and earlier today. Now I installed some anti virus software (Panda Anti Virus Free) and the problem appeared again. Uninstalling fixed the problem for now.

    Now I realised it might have been caused by the AV software yesterday as well. I read some advice somewhere and thus removed all unnecessary USB devices and uninstalled the AV software before performing the update.

    Gonna try other AV software now and I'll report if the problem happens as well.

    Pretty pissed right now I didn't think about the AV software before doing the clean install.

    Regards,
    Reiche

    Edit: I just remembered I had the latest Intel chipset driver in mind which updated after running the Fall Creator's Update.
    I only use defender. I tried removing all USB devices too. Neither worked for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved updated Fall Creators update 1709..Pc system still 1703
Hello, I have updated Windows 10 1703 to Fall Creators Update 1709 from Windows Update from pc system settings... everything downloaded ok ..no error messages of any kind popped up..restarted my pc ...and my apps and desktop settings were not...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant - Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
My computer came preinstalled with Windows 10 on it. It already had the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant on it, which bumped it up to the regular Creators Update. When the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update comes out, and I go to install it through the...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved How To Stop The Fall Creators Upgrade
I tried to use the method I used to stop 14393.1715 from upgrading to The CU but with 15063,632 that method stops all updates. Does anyone know of a workable one as 16299 will not work properly on my PC.
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Oct 17 Creators Fall update
Why is the Fall Creators update coming on Sunday instead of Tuesday? I still haven't received the April Creators update. Will Fall update skip the April update? Just curious.
Installation and Upgrade
System Tunup Prior to Fall Creators Update
Hi All System Tuneup prior to Fall Creators update, then again I may just do a clean install, not sure yet Windows 10 Pro x64 15063.540 AMD FX 8310 8 Core Radeon R7 240 video card Avast Free Antivirus Malwarebytes3
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums