Windows 10: Windows search service won't start after fall creators update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    18 Oct 2017 #11

    topgundcp said: View Post
    I am confused. Windows Search Service is the one that creates Windows.edb, if disabled, there's no way to create this file.

    Try this link to see if it helps:
    How to Fix Microsoft Windows Search Indexer Stopped Working and Was Closed
    I don't know what's happening then. See the image in my original post. It says windows could not start the search service.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 4,916
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       18 Oct 2017 #12

    bobsagetfullhou said: View Post
    I don't know what's happening then. See the image in my original post. It says windows could not start the search service.
    Did you look in the link that you were given for troubleshooting? If not, it has been pointed out also that there are going to be issues with a new version of Windows or any Operating System when major changes are made. A lot of legacy items are being removed with some items being downgraded in Microsoft's announcement.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Oct 2017 #13

    bro67 said: View Post
    Did you look in the link that you were given for troubleshooting? If not, it has been pointed out also that there are going to be issues with a new version of Windows or any Operating System when major changes are made. A lot of legacy items are being removed with some items being downgraded in Microsoft's announcement.
    Just looked at that. Unfortunately I tried all those things with no luck. Maybe I will just wait a month and see if they release a fix, but none of my other 2 PCs are having issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    07 Nov 2017 #14

    In case anyone else was having this issue after installing the fall creators update, I was able to figure this out. I noticed my system restore was also working improperly. For some reason the local admin group lost rights to this folder. After re-adding that and propagting the permissions down, my system restore worked AND I was able to re-enable the windows search service. My guess is that the search service was trying to scan or do something with the system restore folder and wasn't able to, so didn't start up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,438
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       07 Nov 2017 #15

    @bobsagetfullhou said: View Post
    In case anyone else was having this issue after installing the fall creators update, I was able to figure this out. I noticed my system restore was also working improperly. For some reason the local admin group lost rights to this folder. After re-adding that and propagting the permissions down, my system restore worked AND I was able to re-enable the windows search service. My guess is that the search service was trying to scan or do something with the system restore folder and wasn't able to, so didn't start up.
    I am glad that you finally got it working and it does make sense because often System Restore get corrupted and Windows Search is having problem trying to index it, that's why I always turn it off and use third party backup software.
    However, You did not mention any folder that you changed the permission. Is that "System Volume Information" folder ? This is where all restore points are stored and it supposes to be "Inaccessible" even if you are part of the Administrators group.

    The only way you can explore this folder is to use software such as: Partition Magic or Treesize.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    07 Nov 2017 #16

    topgundcp said: View Post
    I am glad that you finally got it working and it does make sense because often System Restore get corrupted and Windows Search is having problem trying to index it, that's why I always turn it off and use third party backup software.
    However, You did not mention any folder that you changed the permission. Is that "System Volume Information" folder ? This is where all restore points are stored and it supposes to be "Inaccessible" even if you are part of the Administrators group.

    The only way you can explore this folder is to use software such as: Partition Magic or Treesize.
    That is correct. I did this a couple days ago, but now remember I also gave the SYSTEM account rights to this as well. Which is was missing. That's probably the account the windows search service uses to index it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    14 Jan 2018 #17

    I really would like to thank you for help me out understanding and resolving this problem: i got the same issue and i didn't find any solution anywhere until now. Thank you again guys!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Source: How to get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows Experience Blog See also: Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows 10 Forums Windows 10 Fall Creators Update phased rollout approach -...
Source: What's new in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows Experience Blog See also: What's new in Windows 10 (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs How to get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows 10 Forums Windows 10 Fall Creators...
Solved windows creators fall update in Windows Updates and Activation
Hey.i was just wondering.how come I haven't got the new creators fall update???I went to download it manually but on the website there only is the creators original update
Read more: Microsoft will call Windows 10's next update the 'Autumn Creators Update' in the UK | Windows Central Update: The Windows 10 Autumn Creators Update will be called 'Fall Creators Update' after all | Windows Central
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:52.
Find Us