Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    01 Oct 2017 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    10

    Windows 10 machine will not sleep automatically


    I've tried every step out there for trying to get my pc to sleep automatically.. nothing has worked.

    I've tried disabling network adapters.. i've tried looking at lastwake for powercfg and it usually shows 0, though /requests will show a remote file is accessing the machine.. or nvidia audio has something open.

    So I then pulled every USB from the PC.. same difference.. i then tried disabling virtually everything i could think of in device manager, usb's included.. no luck.

    I also went through task manager processes and killed pretty much everything.. no luck.. i tried going in services and stopping every non microsoft service.. no luck.

    Here is the interesting part.. if i boot into another partition where i have a clean creators update.. it sleeps (all drivers installed, except oculus ones, and yeah i tried disabling/unpluggin oculus devices).

    So it clearly isnt the hardware.. something software wise is a bit screwed up.. i've tried looking at the energy report to see a culprit, not much there to go on.

    I tried setting wake timers to disabled.. usb selective state to disabled.. you name it.

    Any thoughts or suggestions out there?

    Thanks in advance
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    01 Oct 2017 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 25,288
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17046

    Hello Mark,

    If you haven't already, you might see if turning off Fast Startup may help. It can sometimes cause shutdown and sleep issues.

    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    03 Oct 2017 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Mark,

    If you haven't already, you might see if turning off Fast Startup may help. It can sometimes cause shutdown and sleep issues.

    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    I can give that a try, though like i said, on my "clean" partition of win10, i dont think i have the issue, so not sure it would matter.

    I do get the srvnet driver (remote file open) message a bit.. most of the time non specific and still there even after killing the network connection/disabling.. i think something on the machine is causing this.. however.. despite this..
    when i do kill it (not sure how i did one time.. reran the /requests and i saw nothing listed.. the pc still wouldnt sleep and no wakelocks for the count either.. very strange.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Oct 2017 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 474
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

    View Event ID 1 and 42 for Wake and Sleep
    "They are Event 1 and Event 42 (wake and sleep, respectively).
    Open the Event Viewer and expand "Windows Logs" then click on the 'System' event log.
    Right-click, and then choose "Filter Current Log".
    Input the event id 1 and 42 number into input box above the "Task category" input box.
    In the "Event sources" window, click the drop-down and put a check-mark beside "Power-Troubleshooter" and "Kernel-Power" and then click "OK.
    You will see listing of wake & sleep events and look at the the "General" tab at the very bottom for each Event ID 1 for wake events the wake source will be shown it will be display at the "Wake Source: " entry.

    See Wake Source in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    Last edited by Brink; 03 Oct 2017 at 10:54. Reason: added tutorial link for more info
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    03 Oct 2017 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBooter View Post
    View Event ID 1 and 42 for Wake and Sleep
    "They are Event 1 and Event 42 (wake and sleep, respectively).
    Open the Event Viewer and expand "Windows Logs" then click on the 'System' event log.
    Right-click, and then choose "Filter Current Log".
    Input the event id 1 and 42 number into input box above the "Task category" input box.
    In the "Event sources" window, click the drop-down and put a check-mark beside "Power-Troubleshooter" and "Kernel-Power" and then click "OK.
    You will see listing of wake & sleep events and look at the the "General" tab at the very bottom for each Event ID 1 for wake events the wake source will be shown it will be display at the "Wake Source: " entry.

    See Wake Source in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    This is a good tip.. although i have nothing showing for today and i've attempted sleep (by timeout) a few times, oddly.

    For the ones that have shown up in days past.. its either the network adapter or "unknown".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Oct 2017 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,829
    Windows 10 Pro x64 FCU - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    When I've had this sort of issue I've just gone old school and added a bat file to my start-up folder

    WakeInfo.bat is a simple one

    Just contains a basic call to the standard function when run ...

    Code:
    MD c:\wakelogs
    powercfg -lastwake >>c:\wakelogs\Wakeup.Log
    just manually check c:\wakelogs\Wakeup.Log after each incident and see what shows up, it's simplicity often shows more than the logs which are filled using a more complex system, no guarantees but the fact that it runs every boot it will sometimes catch what the logs miss

    You can simply delete the log file and it will be recreated when next run - if left it will be added to and some form of pattern may emerge
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    03 Oct 2017 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    When I've had this sort of issue I've just gone old school and added a bat file to my start-up folder

    WakeInfo.bat is a simple one

    Just contains a basic call to the standard function when run ...

    Code:
    MD c:\wakelogs
    powercfg -lastwake >>c:\wakelogs\Wakeup.Log
    just manually check c:\wakelogs\Wakeup.Log after each incident and see what shows up, it's simplicity often shows more than the logs which are filled using a more complex system, no guarantees but the fact that it runs every boot it will sometimes catch what the logs miss

    You can simply delete the log file and it will be recreated when next run - if left it will be added to and some form of pattern may emerge
    Thanks.. that seems to generate a wakelock count only.. and only if its run at startup.. not sure it would help see what is causing it to not sleep.. at least this is what shows when manually run for me?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    03 Oct 2017 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,829
    Windows 10 Pro x64 FCU - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    It may need running in elevated mode in Win 10, which would need a start-up scheduled task to run the bat file Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials is the way to do this..

    there is a full systemised write up here for troubleshooting issues where, like yourself, the system does not appear to catch the issue ... How to Prevent Your Computer From Waking Up Accidentally

    As you mentioned that the network adaptor has been mentioned you may want to check the options for disabling the Wake on LAN option which can cause issues ( only if you are not using the WOL for it's designed purpose)

    Win 10 does have a number of it's own tasks that run at various times and some, or should I say most, are set to wake the system if needed.

    There are sometimes Bios settings relating to sleep system used - you may want to check with your Motherboard manual and see if you have these available and try different choices and see if that can help
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    03 Oct 2017 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    It may need running in elevated mode in Win 10, which would need a start-up scheduled task to run the bat file Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials is the way to do this..

    there is a full systemised write up here for troubleshooting issues where, like yourself, the system does not appear to catch the issue ... How to Prevent Your Computer From Waking Up Accidentally

    As you mentioned that the network adaptor has been mentioned you may want to check the options for disabling the Wake on LAN option which can cause issues ( only if you are not using the WOL for it's designed purpose)

    Win 10 does have a number of it's own tasks that run at various times and some, or should I say most, are set to wake the system if needed.

    There are sometimes Bios settings relating to sleep system used - you may want to check with your Motherboard manual and see if you have these available and try different choices and see if that can help

    Even elevated it still really only shows a wake count which is always 0 on my system.

    I've tried disabling the network adapter (as well as a ton of other adapters).. along with most of the non essential services .. same difference.. maybe ill look into the bios, but i'm still skeptical, again, since it works fine when booted to my other clean win10 creators partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    06 Oct 2017 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    10
    Thread Starter

    I decided to work around this using a scheduled task that fires off sleep mode via a batch file after so many minutes.. largely this works with a few issues..

    I set the idle timer at 50 minutes.. here is the strange part.. if i come to the computer.. wake it up.. generally after i let it sit for about 10 minutes after that, it then decides to sleep, firing off the scheduled task.. i cant figure out why.. i wish i could see some sort of idle timer going to see if it somehow thought it was at 50 minutes and it wasnt.. or maybe the timer isnt resetting.. unsure
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 10 wont sleep automatically
Yes I have searched so don't yell at me yet. The PC wont sleep. It's not that it goes to sleep and wakes up, it just wont sleep. Here's what I have done so far. Went to advanced power options and turned off that when sharing media keep PC...
General Support
Sleep Issue with New Windows 10 Machine
Hello, Recently, my brother got a new Windows 10 laptop. It's having the same problem that a lot of other W 10 machines seem to be having when he tries to put it into sleep mode. Namely, it will go into sleep mode, but the fan blows crazily, and...
General Support
Windows 10 automatically goes in sleep mode!!
Hello friends .. i am using windows 10 since last two weeks..since installation i am facing this issue .. my pc goes into sleep mode without any reason..suppose i am working on anything ..like i am watching you tube videos or anything..suddenly my...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved Windows 10 machine in sleep mode but there is network activity , why?
I just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. The computer is connected to the home network via a gigabit switch. I notice that when the computer is in sleep mode ,there is still network activity but only the 10 mb/s connection LED is lit. When I had...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 won't automatically connect to WiFi when waking from sleep
Having an issue on my wife's hp laptop. Upgraded it to windows 10 and ever since it won't ever connect to WiFi when waking until I click on the icon in the , select my network, and hit connect. Even has the connect automatically box checked and it...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums