USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder


    Good morning,

    I hope someone can help me with the problem.

    I get the following errors when connecting any USB storage to my laptop: You don't currently have permission to access this folder & You have been denied permission to access this folder.

    When I got my new work laptop I was able to copy all my work from the old laptop to an USB drive and then copied it onto the new laptop. I used the USB drive a few times afterwards but then it just stopped "working". Everyone else can use the USB drive and it works just fine. At first I thought it's just that particular drive but I recently went on a training course and had the same issue with their USB sticks. I then tried one of my own USB sticks and had the same issue. I ran out of ideas...
    USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder-usb_1.jpgUSB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder-usb_2.jpgUSB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder-laptop-details.jpg
      My Computer

  2. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,309
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #2

    zambeezi said:
    ...When I got my new work laptop...
    I think the word 'work' may be key here. Ask you IT dept. if they have recently changed the Group Policy 'All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access'.
      My Computers

  3. Gordon7's Avatar
    Posts : 182
    Win 10 rs1 - build 14393.1944
       #3

    It is a common problem for many windows 10 owners, some off the problems can be caused by your Anti Virus software
    and others can be caused by a security app, that was installed on your PC at some time, maybe by the OEM.

    Try to open the drive in File Explorer by double-click on it in the right pane of Explorer, then in the left pane right-click
    on a file > choose properties > open the security tab (permissions) > click on your account name > see if you have the
    right to read & write to the file - ?

    Others have solved the problem like this:

    USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder-ashampoo_snap_2017.09.25_15h17m31s_004_.png

    Here are some link's to Microsoft about same problem:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...peScope=#////1
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Bree said:
    I think the word 'work' may be key here. Ask you IT dept. if they have recently changed the Group Policy 'All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access'.
    A couple of us got issued the same laptops on the same day... they don't have any issues at all. I did contact IT support but since it's external USB storage they don't cover it.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Gordon7 said:
    It is a common problem for many windows 10 owners, some off the problems can be caused by your Anti Virus software
    and others can be caused by a security app, that was installed on your PC at some time, maybe by the OEM.

    Try to open the drive in File Explorer by double-click on it in the right pane of Explorer, then in the left pane right-click
    on a file > choose properties > open the security tab (permissions) > click on your account name > see if you have the
    right to read & write to the file - ?

    Others have solved the problem like this:

    USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder-ashampoo_snap_2017.09.25_15h17m31s_004_.png

    Here are some link's to Microsoft about same problem:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...peScope=#////1
    Thank you, I'll have a read through the threads.
      My Computer

  6. Gordon7's Avatar
    Posts : 182
    Win 10 rs1 - build 14393.1944
       #6

    @zambeezi - I just remember a tutorial about this, could just be that:

    Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Gordon7 said:
    @zambeezi - I just remember a tutorial about this, could just be that:

    Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10
    Thanks, I have a look!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    @Gordon7 - Thank you for the link, unfortunately my settings menu does not have that setting...USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder-settings.jpg
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 136
    Win10 Pro x64 1607
       #9

    Bree said:
    ... if they have recently changed the Group Policy 'All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access'.
    As Bree's mentioned, you may check in Group Policy if ''All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access'' is enabled.

    If you already use or can create an "Administrator" user account you may follow this:
    To access Group Policy console open "Run" (Win+R), type in gpedit.msc and hit "Enter".

    Then go to "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" looking for All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access and check its status.
    Default setting is "Not Configured" which covers common use.

    Also, do the same for ''User Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" settings.
    Last edited by werby; 26 Sep 2017 at 10:16.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #10

    werby said:
    As Bree's mentioned, you may check in Group Policy if ''All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access'' is enabled.

    If you already use or can create an "Administrator" user account you may follow this:
    To access Group Policy console open "Run" (Win+R), type in gpedit.msc and hit "Enter".

    Then go to "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" looking for All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access and check its status.
    Default setting is "Not Configured" which covers common use.

    Also, do the same for ''User Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" settings.

    Thank you for the reply... I've looked and in both cases it set to default (not configured).
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:27.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums