Windows 10: Windows 7 vs Windows 8 vs Windows 10

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 5,159
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       24 Sep 2017 #11

    Windows ME [Millenium Edition] came out for consumers a few months after Windows 2000 [for business]. They followed the naming convention of earlier versions of Win95/98/98SE and WinNT 3.xx/4.0. Those 2 editions were the last of the separate versions, became both WinXP with either equivalent Home Premium or Professional [and there were some others].
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    24 Sep 2017 #12

    Berton said: View Post
    Speaking from experience one needs to be aware that accountants frequently need to run older programs such as QuickBooks or Sage [formerly Peachtree] according to what their clients need. For one such client I've installed/reinstalled versions of QB from early 2000 through the current version on the same computer. In such a situation it could require the 32-bit version of Windows instead of the 64-bit version. Also becoming more involved [critically] is printer support from manufacturers for older versions of the OS.
    This whole switching accounts is making me feel nauseous...

    Yes, you bring up some valid points.

    I am not sure which software he uses or what dependencies there might be.

    My main goal is to make sure he has a secure set up to protect my data.

    And oddly enough, since I am not a Windows guy, or a System Admin, I am *hoping* that I could find a common-sense approach that will allow me to secure my tax info with him, and that is easy enough that I can handle supporting it and get him to agree to some proposed changes that I would like to see.

    Here is hoping that all of you Windows gurus can help me reach my goals!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,459
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       24 Sep 2017 #13

    Hi,
    7 still has 2 years of support left so a 7 pro is a good idea to purchase and install at least you have more options in what os to use if one goes wonky :)
    Make a system image of the 7 and use the free upgrade.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    24 Sep 2017 #14

    Allegheny said: View Post
    I am thinking of going with a new accountant, and he mentioned he might be interested in letting me secure and manage his computers.

    I am also thinking of asking him if I could buy a Windows laptop, secure it to my liking, and have him use that for my taxes.
    Allegheny said: View Post
    I am not sure which software he uses or what dependencies there might be.

    My main goal is to make sure he has a secure set up to protect my data.

    And oddly enough, since I am not a Windows guy, or a System Admin, I am *hoping* that I could find a common-sense approach that will allow me to secure my tax info with him, and that is easy enough that I can handle supporting it and get him to agree to some proposed changes that I would like to see.
    Choose another accountant. If he is willing to let someone (who by your own admission) doesn't know what they are doing secure his computers then I'd not trust them to be competent at anything else. Up to you of course.

    If you do want to pursue it then find out what software is required and unless it doesn't run on 10, get 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,312
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86
       24 Sep 2017 #15

    Everyone has their own views on this.

    I would rate W7 as the worst (and certainly most dated OS).

    W8.1 (not W8) had the potential to be good... and it was... until MS ruined it with all the countless W8 to W10 updates. I would be happy using W8 with the exception of it not having the latest 'Edge' browser.

    W10 has been the best OS of the bunch by some margin imo. Its not perfect, but it comes close. The fact that you are only one update away from the latest version is a massive bonus. You have just the base image plus the latest single update.

    If you went for W10 I would probably recommend the Pro version, simply because you get greater control over what and when this single update and also any 'feature' updates are installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 Sep 2017 #16

    lx07 said: View Post
    Choose another accountant. If he is willing to let someone (who by your own admission) doesn't know what they are doing secure his computers then I'd not trust them to be competent at anything else. Up to you of course.
    Ouch!!!


    That wasn't very supportive!

    Why is it a bad thing to make sure my next accountant is doing things as securely as possible?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,459
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       24 Sep 2017 #17

    Hi,
    10 you can also be one new build from getting borked lol :)
    Kind of the point in having a more stable 7 ready to go at a moments notice
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    24 Sep 2017 #18

    Mooly said: View Post
    Everyone has their own views on this.
    I would rate W7 as the worst (and certainly most dated OS).
    Interesting.


    Mooly said: View Post
    W8.1 (not W8) had the potential to be good... and it was... until MS ruined it with all the countless W8 to W10 updates. I would be happy using W8 with the exception of it not having the latest 'Edge' browser.
    W10 has been the best OS of the bunch by some margin imo. Its not perfect, but it comes close. The fact that you are only one update away from the latest version is a massive bonus. You have just the base image plus the latest single update.
    If you went for W10 I would probably recommend the Pro version, simply because you get greater control over what and when this single update and also any 'feature' updates are installed.
    That makes sense, and good advice on getting Windows 10 Pro.

    How much do you think a decent laptop, with sufficient resources, running Windows 10 Pro would cost?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    24 Sep 2017 #19

    ThrashZone said: View Post
    Hi,
    10 you can also be one new build from getting borked lol :)
    Kind of the point in having a more stable 7 ready to go at a moments notice
    That doesn't help!

    (It already sounds like some people think I am a fool with what I am trying to do... And I am starting to feel disheartened by some comments. I had hoped there would be a way to reach my goals...)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,459
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       24 Sep 2017 #20

    Hi,
    You'd have to seek a budget
    Most would be about 1k for a decent model
    Brand is personal preference but most would say stay away from dell :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Unified Windows update history for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Windows for IT Pros
I currently have a system running legitimate copies of windows 7 &8.1 on separate partitions on the same drive. Not using any special boot loader, just dual boot menu in windows. Would like to know the best way to upgrade the windows 8.1 while...
Read more at: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-9-to-Merge-Windows-Windows-Phone-Development-386979.shtml
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57.
Find Us