Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    22 Sep 2017 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 13
    Windows 8.1 Pro

    Pressing Windows Key and then typing search has stopped working


    I'm sure it's not my imagination. I use to be able to press the Windows Key, the Start Menu would pop up and then I could simply start typing the name of whatever program I wanted to launch. Since the last update (15063.608), that doesn't work. It appears that the "Type here to search" box use to be the initial "focus" but isn't anymore. If I hit the Windows Key three times in sequence, then I get what I want, but that seems a bit silly.

    Is there a configuration option for this? I imagine it's something to do with Cortana.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Sep 2017 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,832
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
    I'm sure it's not my imagination. I use to be able to press the Windows Key, the Start Menu would pop up and then I could simply start typing the name of whatever program I wanted to launch. Since the last update (15063.608), that doesn't work. It appears that the "Type here to search" box use to be the initial "focus" but isn't anymore. If I hit the Windows Key three times in sequence, then I get what I want, but that seems a bit silly.

    Is there a configuration option for this? I imagine it's something to do with Cortana.
    Hi there. Just to see if this search option works > WinKey/S combo > Type in the name of an app you have. Does it give the correct result?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    22 Sep 2017 #3
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 8,918
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

    Do you have search box turned on in Taskbar? Turn it off and on again (change something...) and restart computer.
    Or, if you're using Cortana, change her settings (in Taskbar)

    It's total non scientific approach, but it worked for me
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Sep 2017 #4
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 13
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Hi there. Just to see if this search option works > WinKey/S combo > Type in the name of an app you have. Does it give the correct result?
    yes, it does (thanks for that tip!).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    22 Sep 2017 #5
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 13
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreTen View Post
    Do you have search box turned on in Taskbar? Turn it off and on again (change something...) and restart computer.
    Or, if you're using Cortana, change her settings (in Taskbar)

    It's total non scientific approach, but it worked for me
    yeah, I've tried that, doesn't change things. this still works the way it use to on some of my other PC's so I'm not sure what I did. This is on an HP x360 Spectre, maybe there is some other Toolbar extension (i.e. like BatteryBar) that has messed things up.

    I'll start using the Windows Key/S combo from now on that HippsieGypsie suggested as it does what I want.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    22 Sep 2017 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,832
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
    yes, it does (thanks for that tip!).
    You're welcome, but was just testing that part. It should work in your Start as well. You say after hitting the WinKey 3 times, then it works? If so, that's strange.

    How about Andre's questions? Have Bing search on your Taskbar?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    22 Sep 2017 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,832
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
    yeah, I've tried that, doesn't change things. this still works the way it use to on some of my other PC's so I'm not sure what I did. This is on an HP x360 Spectre, maybe there is some other Toolbar extension (i.e. like BatteryBar) that has messed things up.

    I'll start using the Windows Key/S combo from now on that HippsieGypsie suggested as it does what I want.
    Do you have other search bars then? Battery bar does not qualify as that. It's a utility.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    22 Sep 2017 #8
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 13
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    You're welcome, but was just testing that part. It should work in your Start as well. You say after hitting the WinKey 3 times, then it works? If so, that's strange.[/DEL]
    yep, the WinKey 3 times brings the focus to the Search Box. there appears to be nothing in focus the first WinKey press but the Start Menu does come up, second time hides the Start Menu and third time brings up the Start Menu with the Search Box focused. odd.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 Sep 2017 #9
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,832
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
    yep, the WinKey 3 times brings the focus to the Search Box. there appears to be nothing in focus the first click with the Start Menu up, second time hides the Start Menu and third time brings up the Start Menu with the Search Box focused. odd.
    Ok, so actually the second time Start is opened then the search works. Sometimes when I tap the WinKey it won't take the first letter I type. Too quick on the draw. If I wait just a second, then it does. Try waiting just a second or two.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    22 Sep 2017 #10
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 13
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Do you have other search bars then? Battery bar does not qualify as that. It's a utility.
    nope, no Bing or Yahoo bar of anything like that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Cursor going to top while typing and it ends by pressing space bar
I decided running sfc/scannow in cmd as administrator.And it gave the following result: "Microsoft Windows (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some...
General Support
Search in Windows 10 Taskbar Stopped Working
Hi, Win10 version 1607 OS Build 14393.1358 The search area on the task bar - it's the magnifying glass icon. Usually it works OK, like if I need to find CCleaner I just type "cc" and it'll confirm it's installed or not. Or I type "update" and...
General Support
Pressing the windows start button, typing run, enter, restarted PC??
As you can see from the title I have had some odd behaviour relating to keyboard input. That was one example. Other examples would include: -Random explorer windows being selected / active with unexpected key strokes. -Key combinations such as...
General Support
Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working
Have the Anniversary edition. Suddenly the start menu and Cortana have stoped working. As has right click menus on the start bar? It was okay after the initial install?? Have tried several restarts but no change. Dan
General Support
Solved Windows Start, Search, Notification Stopped working
This may have been addressed already. The Start, Search, and Notification features stopped working today for the ADMIN User. They do nothing when I click on them. They are working for other users on the same PC. Haven't updated anything except...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums