"n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it?

  1. JoeMcLutz's Avatar
    Posts : 135
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    "n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it?


    Hi!
    Today I noticed something that wasn't there in past days:
    "n/a" entries in Autoruns in
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
    and
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components

    Respective registry entries:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89B4C1CD-B018-4511-B0A1-5476DBF70820}
    and
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89B4C1CD-B018-4511-B0A1-5476DBF70820}

    ...and images as well:
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
    and
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe

    What about them? Why are they showing up? Can I safely prevent 'em from starting?
    Thank You.
      My Computer

  2. pepanee's Avatar
    Posts : 1,460
    Windows 10 Professional
       #2

    No worries.

    I got the same exact ones. If you want to disable them, do some research on:
    • Microsoft .NET IE SECURITY REGISTRATION
    • mscories.dll

    I looked up both on the net, yet they seem okay. Has to do with the NET framework, even though I never installed that on my computer. I wouldn't disable them, but if you want to take that risk, I don't think your computer will completely stop working.

    "n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it?-autoruns.png
      My Computer

  3. JoeMcLutz's Avatar
    Posts : 135
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    pepanee said:
    No worries.

    I got the same exact ones. If you want to disable them, do some research on:
    • Microsoft .NET IE SECURITY REGISTRATION
    • mscories.dll

    I looked up both on the net, yet they seem okay. Has to do with the NET framework, even though I never installed that on my computer. I wouldn't disable them, but if you want to take that risk, I don't think your computer will completely stop working.
    Hi pepenee!
    Thanks for the feedback! The thing I was worried about is that they weren't there few days ago... So I suspected about some malware infection. I think I'll leave 'em there. :)
    You're too kind, thanks again for your answer. :)
    Greetings,
    Joe
      My Computer

  4. pepanee's Avatar
    Posts : 1,460
    Windows 10 Professional
       #4

    You're welcome Joe. I remember when I used to look at all the startup apps that are in the Autoruns program. I liked to do research on them by looking online and seeing if certain 'suspicious looking' files were actually malware or not. I wasn't able to find anything bad on my computer, and eventually reached the conclusion that I don't download 'very risky' files or accidentally open any spam advertising pages or whatnot. Also Windows 10, generally speaking, is a really secure operating system, so I'm not really worried.

    But if you want, there's still many good and free antivirus apps out there to make things even more secure. It's up to you =)
      My Computer

  5. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,644
    Windows Home Dev 21H1 x64
       #5

    I think, those are related to NET Framework, you do not need them.
    I remove all startup entries, except those, I have approved myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it?-capture_09232017_193902.jpg  
      My Computer

  6. JoeMcLutz's Avatar
    Posts : 135
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    pepanee said:
    You're welcome Joe. I remember when I used to look at all the startup apps that are in the Autoruns program. I liked to do research on them by looking online and seeing if certain 'suspicious looking' files were actually malware or not.
    Yes! :) Me too! And I almost always poke my nose in event viewer too!

    pepanee said:
    I wasn't able to find anything bad on my computer, and eventually reached the conclusion that I don't download 'very risky' files or accidentally open any spam advertising pages or whatnot.
    Neither do I: I provide myself with Sandboxie when I don't trust something.

    pepanee said:
    Also Windows 10, generally speaking, is a really secure operating system, so I'm not really worried.

    But if you want, there's still many good and free antivirus apps out there to make things even more secure. It's up to you =)
    Yes I use Avast Free since ages. And Firefox (a bit slow and stuttering but I think one of the most secure) with NoScript and Malwarebytes anti-rootkit and anti-malware... As well as Virustotal.com and some other web sites checkers like sitecheck.sukuri.net, unmaskparasites.com, and so on. But sometimes, although I am very cautious, something "strange" happens (like Ccleaner issues in last 15 august -fortunately I run 64bit version-) and it's almost beyond my forecasts and capabilities.

    Greetings! :)
    Joe
      My Computer

  7. JoeMcLutz's Avatar
    Posts : 135
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #7

    TairikuOkami said:
    I think, those are related to NET Framework, you do not need them.
    I remove all startup entries, except those, I have approved myself.
    Yes they are! :)
    Well, since they don't seem to harm anything I'll let 'em there and, maybe, they'll go away just like they came in during next upgrade... Who knows?
    By the way: I noticed you unchecked Gather Network Info... Is it safe to uncheck?
    Thanks! Bye! :)
      My Computer

  8. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,644
    Windows Home Dev 21H1 x64
       #8

    JoeMcLutz said:
    By the way: I noticed you unchecked Gather Network Info... Is it safe to uncheck?
    I suppose it is only needed for troubleshooting purposes.
    I have setup a static IP and DNS servers, so I do not need that.
      My Computer

  9. JoeMcLutz's Avatar
    Posts : 135
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #9

    TairikuOkami said:
    I suppose it is only needed for troubleshooting purposes.
    I have setup a static IP and DNS servers, so I do not need that.
    Yes, I'm on static IPs and DNS too. I'll try deactivating it.
    Thanks! :)
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums