Windows 10: Random PC freezers but youtube sound still goes on playing

  1.    20 Sep 2017 #1

    Random PC freezers but youtube sound still goes on playing


    Hi,

    My work PC randomly freezers from time to time. Mostly I notice while streaming from Youtube while doing work. It is not frequent, but not that rare either. Like once or twice a week. What happens is that while doing work, I noticed the Youtube video will first freeze, but the sound still goes on. Then the whole PC, mouse, keyboard inputs all freeze. However, the Youtube sound still function even though everything has froze. I can even wait few minutes before pressing the restart button- the youtube sound is still there. I have tried running SSD life status as the Crucial M500 960 GB is where windows is installed but it says the SSD life as healthy. No problems. After I restart, I can continue on doing work. However, I recently lost 2 hours of powerpoint productive time (despite the document is saved and auto-save is on. Auto-save recovered back to the original file.

    Any ideas?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 9,802
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       21 Sep 2017 #2

    Hi mystvearn

    What version and build number are you using?

    Not saying to update your BIOS but have you checked if the manufacture has released new BIOS's for your board?

    Is anything being recorded in the reliability history?

    Have you run all the standard hardware checks on memory and storage drives?

    Do you have a way of monitoring heat, particularly the CPU and video temperatures?

    Can you pinpoint approximate date this started and can you recall any changes you may have made since then?


    Ken
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    23 Sep 2017 #3

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Hi mystvearn

    What version and build number are you using?

    Not saying to update your BIOS but have you checked if the manufacture has released new BIOS's for your board?

    Is anything being recorded in the reliability history?

    Have you run all the standard hardware checks on memory and storage drives?

    Do you have a way of monitoring heat, particularly the CPU and video temperatures?

    Can you pinpoint approximate date this started and can you recall any changes you may have made since then?


    Ken
    Thanks for the reply. My version is 1703. OS build 15063.608

    I tried to update the BIOS, but it failed. I am not sure why. It can connect to the servers and download automatically, but it fails when actually updating it. Tried few times. Maybe it is because I am using my institution's internet connection. Will try to pair with my phone.

    Yes, I can monitor heat and temperature, though I don't think it is an issue since I work in an air condition environment. Most of the time I am using Microsoft office/Photoshop.

    That I don't remember. Sorry.

    Hope this helps
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 9,802
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       24 Sep 2017 #4

    Please read your manufactures site on updating BIOS. Again updating BIOS is your choice, I just wanted you to check to see if they have made improvements.

    Usually vendors provide multiple ways to update, in Windows, from BIOS and from a boot. This is like religion, some people say never do it within Windows, others believe the boot method is the only way to go.

    If you cannot update within Windows there maybe alternatives.

    What did reliability history tell you?

    Heat is not about A/C. Turn on a sixty watt, old style bulb, in an A/C room. See how hot it gets, you can touch it.


    Ken
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Sep 2017 #5

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Please read your manufactures site on updating BIOS. Again updating BIOS is your choice, I just wanted you to check to see if they have made improvements.

    Usually vendors provide multiple ways to update, in Windows, from BIOS and from a boot. This is like religion, some people say never do it within Windows, others believe the boot method is the only way to go.

    If you cannot update within Windows there maybe alternatives.

    What did reliability history tell you?

    Heat is not about A/C. Turn on a sixty watt, old style bulb, in an A/C room. See how hot it gets, you can touch it.


    Ken
    Updating through internet connection is working, however it does not update to the latest BIOS version. Now 2.20, but keeps finding version 1.40. Even after updating 1.40, it still says that new updates (version 1.40 is there) and applies the same update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 9,802
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       25 Sep 2017 #6

    Did you read their site and is there a way to perform manually if you wanted too. ( Updating your bios is a decision you make.)

    I've asked on two threads what reliability history is reporting. You may get insight as to root cause.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    26 Sep 2017 #7

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Did you read their site and is there a way to perform manually if you wanted too. ( Updating your bios is a decision you make.)

    I've asked on two threads what reliability history is reporting. You may get insight as to root cause.
    Yup. Did that and watch the video how is it done. Did not work after managing to scan the USB drive
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 9,802
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       26 Sep 2017 #8

    Contact vendor. You should be able to update BIOS assuming correct one for board and you obviously know what board you have.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi there. Machine started acting weird after I watched youtube for 10 hours. It might have something to do with a windows update. The system would not remain switched on. Random hanging, random restart. I rolled back to a previous restore point BUT...
Anyone notice on youtube if playing a video that the sound will sometimes continue to play despite navigating off the page (such as clicking a site pinned in the favourites bar whilst video is playing). Seems to be only youtube vids, and only IE11...
Im getting some random BSOD when im watching a video on youtube can someone help me figure out the problem? here are my files:
Need some help please. We installed Windows 10 a couple of months ago and everything was working fine. Suddenly, we noticed that no sound is coming from some videos we're watching. Mainly sites like YouTube, Facebook. We thought of refreshing...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27.
Find Us