E:\Temp folder keeps vanishing after last update

  1. Sqrly's Avatar
    Posts : 111
    Win 10x64 Pro
       #1

    E:\Temp folder keeps vanishing after last update


    I have 3 physical drives in my PC. C and D are OS partitions on my SSD, E and F are seperate 4TB HDDs.

    I have a folder on the E drive named Temp that I use for just that, files that won't stay there after I do whatever it is I need to do to them.

    I've had this folder since before I installed win 10. Since the last update this folder keeps vanishing, whether it is empty or not.

    I just recreated it and disabled inheritance, which removed all permissions. Then I went back and added only my username and gave it full control. I then turned on replace child permissions with inheritable entries from this object.

    Hopefully this will stop it from vanishing but WTF, this shouldn't be happening. Is anyone else having this issue?
      My Computers

  2. Sqrly's Avatar
    Posts : 111
    Win 10x64 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #2

    OK, it happened again.

    Yesterday I put a a sub folder in E:\Temp with 5 gb of videos files in it I needed to remix and rename.

    Today the folder is gone and the permissions on the E:\Temp have changed, re-enabling the inheritance I had disabled
      My Computers

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,139
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #3

    Sqrly said:
    OK, it happened again.

    Yesterday I put a a sub folder in E:\Temp with 5 gb of videos files in it I needed to remix and rename.

    Today the folder is gone and the permissions on the E:\Temp have changed, re-enabling the inheritance I had disabled
    First impression is that you probably should not call it Temp. Windows may see that as a valid system temp folder and mess with it. Without digging further, that would be my first guess. I do not have a ready reason for you why it would do that, just that the name temp is used by the system all over the place in different system folders.

    If it's just for your temporary use, try calling it something else simple, My_Temp.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 638
    Win10 x64 Pro - 2 desktops, 2 laptops
       #4

    f14tomcat said:
    First impression is that you probably should not call it Temp. Windows may see that as a valid system temp folder and mess with it. Without digging further, that would be my first guess. I do not have a ready reason for you why it would do that, just that the name temp is used by the system all over the place in different system folders.
    Seems odd to me that Windows would mess with a top level directory named Temp (or any other top level directory that Windows doesn't specifically own). Just for grins I've created a D:\Temp and populated it with some dispensable stuff. I'll see if mine disappears.

    I wonder if any 3rd-party "cleaner" software might be involved.
      My Computer

  5. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,049
    windows 10
       #5

    Have you got in system storage sense turned on I wonder if thats doing it
      My Computer

  6. Sqrly's Avatar
    Posts : 111
    Win 10x64 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    f14tomcat said:
    First impression is that you probably should not call it Temp. Windows may see that as a valid system temp folder and mess with it. Without digging further, that would be my first guess. I do not have a ready reason for you why it would do that, just that the name temp is used by the system all over the place in different system folders.

    If it's just for your temporary use, try calling it something else simple, My_Temp.
    I thought the same thing and created some new folders "E:\LeaveMygarbageAlone" for temp files I'm working with and E:\WRTemp for winrar to use as a temporary folder as it was set to use the E:\Temp folder.

    This does remedy the symptoms but I still don't know the cause. I don't like the fact the the OS is deleting files and folders without my knowledge or permission.

    Samuria said:
    Have you got in system storage sense turned on I wonder if thats doing it
    No, it's off. Good idea though. Perhaps it doesn't really turn off no matter the setting.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums