Windows 10: AppData/Roaming, folder too large to transfer but it's a must do...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    04 Sep 2017 #1

    AppData/Roaming, folder too large to transfer but it's a must do...


    I have been trying to transfer a huge folder into the AppData/Roaming folder, but it gives me this error message:


    "there is not enough space on roaming. you need an additional 140 gb to copy these files"


    It seems the folder size of Roaming is incredibly tiny?!.. Is there a way to increase the size or otherwise fix this problem. Harddrive is 2TB. Does anybody know what this is all about, and why I am limited to what I can put in there? I really can't just delete folders because it wouldn't make a difference, the main folder I need to move there is 137 GB!! It worked fine on a different computer with Windows Professional on it. Thanks in advance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,922
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       04 Sep 2017 #2

    That is a lot of data. My AppData\Local is 4.46GB, my AppData\LocalLow is 3.15MB and my AppData\Roaming is 267MB. By Default those System Folders are hidden, had to unhide temporarily to view. I don't put anything in those Folders, don't think that is an intention of Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 29,012
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       04 Sep 2017 #3

    mindboggled said: View Post
    I have been trying to transfer a huge folder into the AppData/Roaming folder, but it gives me this error message:


    "there is not enough space on roaming. you need an additional 140 gb to copy these files"


    It seems the folder size of Roaming is incredibly tiny?!.. Is there a way to increase the size or otherwise fix this problem. Harddrive is 2TB. Does anybody know what this is all about, and why I am limited to what I can put in there? I really can't just delete folders because it wouldn't make a difference, the main folder I need to move there is 137 GB!! It worked fine on a different computer with Windows Professional on it. Thanks in advance.
    Berton is correct in saying that's not really the intention of that folder.

    You say the HDD is 2TB, but what is the size of the C: partition?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    04 Sep 2017 #4

    Can you show me how to find it?

    Disk Management - which says it is but 57.13 GB!! That's .... low
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 29,012
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       04 Sep 2017 #5

    mindboggled said: View Post
    Can you show me how to find it?
    In the search box type PC and press enter. Then click the top entry MY PC, or This PC.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    04 Sep 2017 #6

    So..I'm not even sure if this can even work on this computer? Unless there's a way of running appdata from an external hard drive, can anyone give me a clue? I am really pondering this...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 29,012
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       04 Sep 2017 #7

    mindboggled said: View Post
    So..I'm not even sure if this can even work on this computer? Unless there's a way of running appdata from an external hard drive, can anyone give me a clue? I am really pondering this...
    We don't know what it is you are trying to get to work, other than copying a138GB file to appdata/roaming. What is the answer to my questions, please. How big is the C: partition and how much is free?

    And, no, I have never heard of having the appdata system folder on an external drive. Maybe some else has.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    04 Sep 2017 #8

    I google resize the partition in windows, and have been reading this page:

    How to Resize Partition Windows 10 with Free Partition Magic - EaseUS

    When I right click on the partition I want to extend, sadly it doesn't allow me to extend volume, I can only shrink..
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 29,012
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       04 Sep 2017 #9

    mindboggled said: View Post
    I google resize the partition in windows, and have been reading this page:

    How to Resize Partition Windows 10 with Free Partition Magic - EaseUS

    When I right click on the partition I want to extend, sadly it doesn't allow me to extend volume, I can only shrink..
    Please. We need the answer to the question. How big is the C: and how much is free?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    04 Sep 2017 #10

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Please. We need the answer to the question. How big is the C: and how much is free?
    It's reading as 57.13 GB and 0% free which is really weird.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Was just copying over the files from my mounted Windows 10 (multi edition) MSDN ISO and got that message. It's formatted as Fat32. This is the just newly released last month ISO. Looks like I'll have to use NTFS? This may be an issue for those that...
Windows 10 Pro iso file too large in Installation and Upgrade
The iso file is 4.42 GB and my DVD-R is only 4.38, so Roxio doesn't write the file to disk. I don't understand how I can get the iso to disk.
Is it safe to delete a file in appdata in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Recently my avast has detected a pair of viruses in a file deep in my appdata more specifically the file C:\Users\My username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows . I can't find a file inside it that is infected and scanning each individual file inside...
So i installed windows 10 and when i get to my desktop i'm ask what i want to do with a app data roaming file. The file info is 77b8df.1945a74. I tried opening it but i get a blank page. I ran a virus and mall ware scans and nothing. What can i do...
My 5 year old old laptop broke and I have salvaged its HDD with the folders. ( pictured below.) The HDD showed a recovery partition which was empty, and a Data Partition containing 7 folders The AppData and Contacts folders on the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:15.
Find Us