Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
  1.    11 Aug 2015 #111
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    This has been bugging me since release and i've tried all sorts to try fix it with no success until now. I noticed on my other machines that are working 100% with search that they have the User folder included in the indexing. So I added that into my problematic PC and surprise surprise its now working, I get results on all the control panel items i didn't before and it doesn't say its getting search ready!


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WeiOiF8.png 
Views:	423 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	30556


    Hopefully this works for others but it may just be specific to my PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 Aug 2015 #112
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Igniseus View Post
    This has been bugging me since release and i've tried all sorts to try fix it with no success until now. I noticed on my other machines that are working 100% with search that they have the User folder included in the indexing. So I added that into my problematic PC and surprise surprise its now working, I get results on all the control panel items i didn't before and it doesn't say its getting search ready!


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WeiOiF8.png 
Views:	423 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	30556


    Hopefully this works for others but it may just be specific to my PC.
    Yes, the User library holds the search info for control panel and many other Microsoft programs. It's set by default for my two machines. Glad you brought it up, as nobody has really been speaking of what's in their index.
    Wish mine was as easy to fix as that though...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    11 Aug 2015 #113
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10

    I've made a discovery, maybe somebody here will know how to help me.
    It seems to be the settings app itself being broken, or at least its index, as windows search seems to be finding control panel locations fine.

    I just realized that search in the new Settings app only points me to other control panel locations, not to new settings locations inside the settings app like it should.
    For example, "searching windows" update only finds me me to 2 unrelated control panel locations, but my other windows 10 computer with fully working search finds Windows Update and many other locations in the windows settings app, as well as with cortana.

    I don't think this is a cortana or search issue for me now, it's either that the windows Settings app is broken, or that Windows Settings locations are not indexed properly, and I have no clue how to fix that. Reindexing never helps, and I don't think there is a specific location in the index that will point windows to those settings locations...
    Anyone who know what to do, please help me, I'm so close to fixing this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    12 Aug 2015 #114
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 1
    windows 10

    I was following this topic hoping to see a working solution, but nothing worked for me.
    But I finally fixed the problem, thanks to this guy - Windows 10 : Cortana Search Is Not Finding Apps - Super User
    "We're getting search ready" is gone and start menu finds all apps that installed, which it didn't before.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    12 Aug 2015 #115
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by kzk04511 View Post
    I was following this topic hoping to see a working solution, but nothing worked for me.
    But I finally fixed the problem, thanks to this guy - Windows 10 : Cortana Search Is Not Finding Apps - Super User
    "We're getting search ready" is gone and start menu finds all apps that installed, which it didn't before.
    Hmm, that's what re-registering all apps did for me, but it still didn't for Windows Settings to appear for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    12 Aug 2015 #116
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10

    Adding user folder worked for me.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	332 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	30835
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    12 Aug 2015 #117
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryWind View Post
    Adding user folder worked for me.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	332 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	30835
    Hmm, and you've never had an index before? You always have it empty until you added user folders?
    Most of us here have a full default index with user files, start menu items, and offline files such as onedrive. Those all usually come stock, not sure why you didn't have them unless you manually disabled indexing.

    What I'm asking is, does it only work when you have JUST that users folder indexed, or did you never have anything else indexed beforehand and adding this fixed it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    13 Aug 2015 #118
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by jkteddy77 View Post
    Hmm, and you've never had an index before? You always have it empty until you added user folders?
    Most of us here have a full default index with user files, start menu items, and offline files such as onedrive. Those all usually come stock, not sure why you didn't have them unless you manually disabled indexing.

    What I'm asking is, does it only work when you have JUST that users folder indexed, or did you never have anything else indexed beforehand and adding this fixed it?
    When I first installed Windows searching settings was not working so I disabled all indexing location > restart and then only re-enable User folder > restart.
    I use Search Everything app to search for my files and Windows Search settings.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    13 Aug 2015 #119
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 47
    Windows 10 PRO x64

    As I reported I have fixed this problem in my computer, however, I have a question:
    When I search “metered connection” I get only Internet results. But when I press My stuff then I get the result from settings.

    Can any of you confirm that he gets results in the first screen?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metered-connection.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	31099
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Aug 2015 #120
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryWind View Post
    When I first installed Windows searching settings was not working so I disabled all indexing location > restart and then only re-enable User folder > restart.
    I use Search Everything app to search for my files and Windows Search settings.
    Believe it or not, this was my solution for fixing Windows settings... what a non-sensical fix, haha.
    If windows settings aren't showing up, it seems they're all stored in User files or something.
    Thanks to LarryWind for figuring this one out. I made a step-by-step guide for anyone else interested.

    1. write down or remember the location of all of the checked files in your index.
    2. Uncheck EVERYTHING until the index is empty/
    3. Go to Advanced > rebuild to rebuild the empty index. It should find a few hundred filesor so, just OS entries, so don't worry if it doesn't stay at 0 files.
    4. Restart
    5. Check ONLY the Users folder for the OS drive. Don't include anything else. It's okay if appdata is excluded.
    6. Let it build on its own and restart.
    7. Recheck everything else you had before/want. No need to rebuild, let it do it's own thing.
    8. Restart.

    There, that fixed it and now all apps, and Windows settings show up in Cortana's search box.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Desktop/Win32 apps missing from Start Menu "All Apps" and search
Hi, I'm having an issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what to do about it. Some desktop apps are missing from the "All apps" section of the Start menu. Most programs are there, but I'd say 10-15% are missing. Apps that are...
General Support
Any way of permenently closing the "Search" app?
Specifically "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" I do not need this running in the background and it is showing up on Display Fusion's taskbar.
General Support
10135 clean install "search" problem
hey hou, I thought this is prolly already solved, but couldn't find it. 10125 build - clean install, search works fine 10130 build - updated via WU, search starts to lag (could take up to 3-4 minutes before it takes 4-5 letters that I wrote...
General Support
Remove/Move/Resize the "Start search" bar
I'm sure it's just a thing with the preview, but to be perfectly honest, I never used Win8 after the initial dev release, so it's entirely possible this was something I would have hated in Win8 as well. 15884 Basically, the search is covering...
General Support
Solved how to remove "search the web and windows'' from the task bar
Hi guys;anybody knows how to make the desktop like this in win 10! i'd like to remove the "search the web and windows'' from the task bar, i use Chrome so i don't need win search.
Customization
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums