Windows 10: How do I make Cortana search for files from HDD + SSD?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    29 Aug 2017 #1

    How do I make Cortana search for files from HDD + SSD?


    Okay so basically I have a game called Quake 3 on my HDD and a different quake on my SSD.

    I want it to be like the old Windows 7 where if I typed Quake it would find that file but how?

    I managed to disable cortana and it now shows "Search Windows" instead of cortana
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	150963
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	150964
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 4,895
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       29 Aug 2017 #2

    That means changing the security permissions on the old hard drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Aug 2017 #3

    Instead of struggling with Cortana and Windows Search my preference is to use 2 third party software. I set one to only search my C drive and the other to only search my second drive. Both Everything and UltraSearch can search both drives if wanted, with UltraSearch you can very quickly include and exclude drives from the search Both are small, fast, reliable, very efficient and free

    Everything Search
    UltraSearch

    Good luck :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Aug 2017 #4

    bro67 said: View Post
    That means changing the security permissions on the old hard drive.
    It doesn't even search all files from my SSD or HDD I don't even know which one it searches through.. I know it doesn't find everything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 4,895
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       30 Aug 2017 #5

    McSweg said: View Post
    It doesn't even search all files from my SSD or HDD I don't even know which one it searches through.. I know it doesn't find everything.
    Again, you have to change the Security permissions for that other drive, by going in to explorer where it shows the drive for C: and most likely the old one as D: or whatever drive letter, then right click on the old drive, choose properties and then choose Security to change the permissions on the whole drive to your user ID>
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    01 Sep 2017 #6

    I'm on the latest windows insider build and the feature seems to have made a comeback. It now displays all the files regardless of it's location in my computer. I did request for it in the feedback option in Cortana, that may have helped.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 4,895
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       02 Sep 2017 #7

    anthonybaus said: View Post
    I'm on the latest windows insider build and the feature seems to have made a comeback. It now displays all the files regardless of it's location in my computer. I did request for it in the feedback option in Cortana, that may have helped.
    What version of Windows that you are using has zero to do with how your searches go. There are more powerful third party search programs out there that do not tell Microsoft what you are searching for. I suggest that you go to majorgeeks.com and look for a third party search program tat works a lot better than the search feature that Microsoft uses.

    Cortona will tell Microsoft for their metrics how someone is using that program to search for stuff and how the OS is returning what may or may not have been asked for Windows search to look for.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    02 Sep 2017 #8

    bro67 said: View Post
    Again, you have to change the Security permissions for that other drive, by going in to explorer where it shows the drive for C: and most likely the old one as D: or whatever drive letter, then right click on the old drive, choose properties and then choose Security to change the permissions on the whole drive to your user ID>

    what do you mean?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	151526
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    02 Sep 2017 #9

    bro67 said: View Post
    What version of Windows that you are using has zero to do with how your searches go. There are more powerful third party search programs out there that do not tell Microsoft what you are searching for. I suggest that you go to majorgeeks.com and look for a third party search program tat works a lot better than the search feature that Microsoft uses.

    Cortona will tell Microsoft for their metrics how someone is using that program to search for stuff and how the OS is returning what may or may not have been asked for Windows search to look for.
    I've tried a lot of those 3rd party ones and eventually stuck with Everything Search, but none of them is quite as effective as Cortana to search music files, which is what I do most of the time I hit up a search.

    My main gripe with Cortana was that it forced me to click through filters to get results for files stored in other partitions and external drives, which was annoying cuz I run windows on a small SSD and store media on HDD. Now that it has been rectified, I have no problem using it as my only search tool notwithstanding the privacy concerns you've mentioned.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    02 Sep 2017 #10

    McSweg said: View Post
    It doesn't even search all files from my SSD or HDD I don't even know which one it searches through.. I know it doesn't find everything.
    I'm assuming you've indexed all the drives you want to be included in Search Options. Even then, I've noticed that Cortana won't display results for .exe files that are not in the Programs List as well as many other file types. Just use Everything if you want a reliable search for everything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi I would like to add some things about my pc I am also running a Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500gb as my OS drive. I am basically having the problem stated in my title. This is a recently built pc and pretty much everything is working the way I want it...
It's really pissing me off that they won't let us do this. Can't I edit the file like the registry? Any help?
When I search for files on my machine Cortana always goes to the web and never my machine. It has a header that says to turn indexing back on in blue but it does nothing. How can I get Cortana to search my machine for files I am looking for and not...
So I just installed Windows 10 a day ago, and all I have to say is wow, Microsoft did great. I'm blown away by it's speed/ease of use! Anyways, when I click on Cortana, the only options that I have are to show or hide the Cortana icon, I don't have...
I have no Ethernet what so ever... I updated everything I could including the Ethernet from ASUS. I get limited connection.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:02.
Find Us