1.    27 Aug 2017 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2017
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    Lenovo 710 Yoga 11.6" - Windows.old


    Alright so family member just got a new Lenovo Yoga 11.6" 710 after I screwed up on the first recommendation. It was really bad, one of those Lenovo 11.6" 32 GB Emc things. Man did I screw up big time.

    So this one is a really nice machine for them for surfing, email, and light games. Think Solitaire and UNO, and Woka, Woka, really lite Windows Store games. That's them, and Turbo Tax during the season.

    Lenovo - Yoga 710 2-in-1 11.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Pentium - 4GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive - Silver. 11.6" Full HD 10-point multitouch screen for hands-on control
    The 1920 x 1080 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity. Touch, tap, glide and make the most of Windows 10. IPS technology. LED backlight.

    It's odd because in my research the chip is a 2017 Kaby Lake, is that right, Intel® Pentium® processor 4410Y, which I read as being below or almost equal to an I3, sure I am wrong on this. The power thing, no fan, blah, blah.

    It's all great no matter. Why in the world would a 2017 laptop have a Windows 7, to go back too, and have the Windows.old folder which is taking up about 14-15 GB of space. It was a great price for what it is, but I would hate for them to be using a like early 2016 model, or maybe it's not a big deal.

    Like I said, perfect for them and their need's. Large 128 GB SSD is like a 1 TB SSD for us. Touch, other modes, etc...

    Any info appreciated on this device. Hope I posted in the right place. Thought about hardware but did not see any systems in their!

    Thanks! I am going to reinstall back to factory before the 14 day return policy to make sure it is clean and get rid of the old Windows 7 stuff. Wanna make sure the restore goes smoothly hopefully after return period and warranty.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Aug 2017 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,520
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by in2tech View Post
    Why in the world would a 2017 laptop have a Windows 7, to go back too, and have the Windows.old folder which is taking up about 14-15 GB of space. It was a great price for what it is, but I would hate for them to be using a like early 2016 model, or maybe it's not a big deal.
    Welcome to TenForums @in2tech

    No, it's not a big deal. It's not actually Windows 7 in the windows.old folder, it's Windows 10. It would most likely have had the Anniversary Update (version 1607) installed on it in the factory, then it upgraded itself to Creators Update (version 1703) as soon as it was first taken out of the box and turned on. This is quite normal, most OEMs do this. With new versions of Windows 10 being released every six months it's not possible for the manufacturers to keep up to date, so they rely on windows update to give you the latest version.

    The Windows.old folder will automatically be deleted 10 days after the update to Creators Update, or if you want the space now you can delete it earlier. See this tutorial...

    Delete Windows.old Folder in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    27 Aug 2017 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2017
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    Welcome to TenForums @in2tech

    No, it's not a big deal. It's not actually Windows 7 in the windows.old folder, it's Windows 10. It would most likely have had the Anniversary Update (version 1607) installed on it in the factory, then it upgraded itself to Creators Update (version 1703) as soon as it was first taken out of the box and turned on. This is quite normal, most OEMs do this. With new versions of Windows 10 being released every six months it's not possible for the manufacturers to keep up to date, so they rely on windows update to give you the latest version.

    The Windows.old folder will automatically be deleted 10 days after the update to Creators Update, or if you want the space now you can delete it earlier. See this tutorial...

    Delete Windows.old Folder in Windows 10
    So when I turned it on and it updated it's the new Creator's Update and the old Windows 10 instead of 7 will delete in 10 days since I booted it up for the first time?
    If so I am good with that and let it delete itself. I am still doing the back to factory thing to make sure it works for the future

    And wow, what a quick reply! Many thanks! Have not been here for years And everyone is as nice as I remember!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Aug 2017 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,520
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by in2tech View Post
    So when I turned it on and it updated it's the new Creator's Update and the old Windows 10 instead of 7 will delete in 10 days since I booted it up for the first time?
    Yes, I'm assuming that's what happened. You can confirm that by using Winver to show your current version (Creators Update is 1703, os build 15063) and looking at the Details tab for the Properties of a few files in C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32. 14393 is the build for Anniversary Update (1607) and 10586 would be the Fall Update (1511).


    I am still doing the back to factory thing to make sure it works for the future
    That may well take you back to the 'out of the box' build.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    30 Aug 2017 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,408
    Windows 10 Pro

    I would not count on Windows built-in reset function to work reliably in the future. If you really want to be protected, make backup images stored on external storage like usb hard drive, flash drive, or SD card using a program like Macrium Reflect free.

    I also like to export the manufacturer's drivers using the dism /export-driver command in case they are needed for a clean install of Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
BSOD - Lenovo Yoga 11e - on domain
I work for an IT department at a company rolling out 150+ of these devices. We've had complaints of BSOD when flipping the laptop around to tablet mode in Windows 10 Pro.
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Windows 10 on USB and a Lenovo Yoga 2 issue
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop just over a year old. My Autistic little man was happily playing Roblox when it crashed. He turned it off and on again and the laptop says repairing disk errors and just stays like that day and night. So I have bought...
Installation and Upgrade
Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet very slow with Windows 10
I just upgraded my Yoga 2 with Windows 8 factory to Windows 10. So far, it's extremely slow and lagy. Are there features I can turn off like I can in Windows 7 in the system advanced tab to speed up the system? Turn off all the animation stuff,...
Performance & Maintenance
Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro - doggy after sleep
I have a Yoga 2 Pro, i7, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD. After sleep from closing the lid, the system is very doggy and laggy. A reboot solves the issue but since that is not the speediest I'd rather not have to do it. I've tried waiting a bit after waking...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved Done with Windows 10 and the new Lenovo Yoga, Thanks Everyone.
So I've had the Lenovo Yoga 3 14 with Windows 10 Home preinstalled for a week now. Used it a lot, loaded 90% of the programs I use on it and I just can't deal with certain aspects of the notebook or Windows 10. One big thing is it's the Home...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums