Windows 10: 32 bit or 64 bit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 298
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
       27 Aug 2017 #11

    Motim said: View Post
    Hello and Thanks
    As I know, drivers are for hardware, not for software. The new pc I am going to buy will be either 32 bit or 64 bit, so cannot understand what software is to do with drivers, or am I wrong.
    Thanks
    Motim
    I think the difference is mainly that 64 bit programs can use double amount of RAM compared to 32 bit. So 64 bit programs are useful or needed for programs that store a lot of data when running. If available, and on a newish machine, I would always choose 64 bit.

    Perhaps someone will confirm this (or not).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    27 Aug 2017 #12

    If you buy anywhere near decent hardware, it should be 64 bit anyway. Any PC with over 4 gigs of RAM will have the 64 bit Windows installed by default. You'd have to purposely buy low end or go looking for a 32 bit system. I also think you'll find, most software is still 32 bit. They know it will run on a 64 bit system anyway, so why bother developing a 64 bit version, unless they have too. Not many people will pay extra for a 64 bit version, unless they know for a fact it has performance advantages. Even then, odds are they will cheap out and buy the 32 bit version if its price is lower than the 64 bit version.
    Regardless of which one you get, 32 bit or 64 bit Windows. You can switch to the other at no cost. Other than the time it takes to clean install the other version. Your Product code is good for 32 bit or 64 bit. It's only the edition, Home, Pro etc that's locked in. You can even run 32 bit with more than 4 gigs of RAM, you just won't be able to use it all. You'll be caped at a little under 4 gigs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Aug 2017 #13

    Stevekir said: View Post
    I think the difference is mainly that 64 bit programs can use double amount of RAM compared to 32 bit.
    It isn't simply double the memory. It's whatever the system has available. 32-bit OSes cap overall memory usage at roughly 3.8 GB, once hardware reservations are...reserved. 64-bit OSes use what the system has available, so if you give it 16 GB, and you're running an Excel macro that consumes 4 GB of memory...no problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    28 Aug 2017 #14

    Apart from some 16/32GB tablets and hybrids, it is virtually impossible to buy a 32bit pc anymore.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 5,539
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       28 Aug 2017 #15

    Stevekir said: View Post
    ... If available, and on a newish machine, I would always choose 64 bit....

    Perhaps someone will confirm this (or not).
    Microsoft recommend, and install by default, the 32-bit version of Office on 64-bit systems. This article explains the pros and cons of each. There are more disadvantages to the 64-bit version than advantages.
    Microsoft Office Support said:
    The 32-bit version of Office is automatically installed unless you select the 64-bit version at the beginning of the installation process.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...rs=en-US&ad=US
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    28 Aug 2017 #16

    cereberus said: View Post
    Apart from some 16/32GB tablets and hybrids, it is virtually impossible to buy a 32bit pc anymore.
    That's what I was thinking.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    28 Aug 2017 #17

    Bree said: View Post
    Microsoft recommend, and install by default, the 32-bit version of Office on 64-bit systems. This article explains the pros and cons of each. There are more disadvantages to the 64-bit version than advantages.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...rs=en-US&ad=US
    Yep, I have to go to the office folder and run setup64.exe to get the 64 bit version. If I run setup.exe from the root of the ISO I end up with the 32 bit version. No prompt to chose one or the other, if just installs the 32 bit version.
    Last edited by alphanumeric; 28 Aug 2017 at 14:15.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,927
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.192 (Branch: RS3 Release)
       28 Aug 2017 #18

    Visual Studio 2017 is also 32-bit, but VS Code is 64-bit. Both can still compile 32/64-bit software.

    To the OP: Buy a decent computer. Get help from someone who knows computer hardware and can recommend a device that is good, will have a long lifespan but does not cost too much. If for some reason some application would not run on your new computer, then it's most likely something so old that you should not run it anyways.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    29 Aug 2017 #19

    recently i've switched from 32-bit to 64-bit (been used 32-bit OS for about 7/8 years)

    i can say, 64-bit is better choice if u've 64-bit supported drivers for ur pc components multi-tasking is much more improved in 64-bit OS... and all my portable apps (32-bit) run smoothly in 64-bit...

    good luck

    EDIT: for multi-tasking, u need 4GB+ RAM to see real world difference.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 298
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
       29 Aug 2017 #20

    slicendice said: View Post
    Visual Studio 2017 is also 32-bit, but VS Code is 64-bit. Both can still compile 32/64-bit software.

    To the OP: Buy a decent computer. Get help from someone who knows computer hardware and can recommend a device that is good, will have a long lifespan but does not cost too much. If for some reason some application would not run on your new computer, then it's most likely something so old that you should not run it anyways.
    Consider Lenovo. Good quality, not expensive. (I have no relationship with them except as a satisfied user).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57.
Find Us