How can I stop win 10 from putting stuff on my 2nd hdd?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 73
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #1

    How can I stop win 10 from putting stuff on my 2nd hdd?


    So I installed windows 10 on the C drive, when I did this I made sure the secondary hdd was disconnected, However now, it keeps putting stuff on my storage drive insted of my main drive, I don't know if its a backup or what but it won't even let me delete it, and it is eating up space on my storage drive for no reason.
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,522
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #2

    How big are the 2 drives? Or is there just 1 drive but 2 partitions on it?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 73
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Ones a 256 gb SSD other is a 1.5 tb standart hdd, OS is on the SSD, so it shouldn't be writing any files to the secondary at all in terms of windows files etc,
      My Computer

  4. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,522
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #4

    Scyris said:
    Ones a 256 gb SSD other is a 1.5 tb standart hdd, OS is on the SSD, so it shouldn't be writing any files to the secondary at all in terms of windows files etc,
    There may be a few things such as System Volume Information and Recycle Bin unless selectively turned off.
      My Computers

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,107
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #5

    Scyris said:
    So I installed windows 10 on the C drive, when I did this I made sure the secondary hdd was disconnected, However now, it keeps putting stuff on my storage drive insted of my main drive, I don't know if its a backup or what but it won't even let me delete it, and it is eating up space on my storage drive for no reason.
    Can you give us a screenshot of what files you are seeing? Like Berton said, they may just be internal system files, and necessary for the file system (NTFS).
      My Computers

  6. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,522
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #6

    I did forget to mention you may need to change Folder Views to Show Hidden files, maybe temporarily show System files but be sure to revert the changes.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 73
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Well it was making a Program file x86, Program files, windows, efi, programdata folder complete with tens of thousands of files. I managed to delete them though now, and they so far have not come back so. Would like to know how to prevent it in the future though if possible.
      My Computer

  8. AndreyT's Avatar
    Posts : 408
    Windows 10 Pro
       #8

    Scyris said:
    Well it was making a Program file x86, Program files, windows, efi, programdata folder complete with tens of thousands of files. I managed to delete them though now, and they so far have not come back so. Would like to know how to prevent it in the future though if possible.
    This sounds unrealistic. Windows will not just put Program file x86, Program files and other folders you mentioned on the second drive. Most likely these folders were left over from some older Windows installation that existed on that second drive. They are not a consequence of your current installation putting anything there.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 73
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    You sure? because trusted installer was refusing to let me delete alot of the files, I had to play around with the security settings and also use a .reg file to enable take ownership from the context menu in order for it to let me delete them. They are gone now and nothing negative seems to happen, only thing in the 2 program files folders was like windows apps and such.

    This never happened before when I first got the ssd and put windows on it, and I generally always have hidden files set to show.
      My Computer

  10. AndreyT's Avatar
    Posts : 408
    Windows 10 Pro
       #10

    What does it say in your Settings -> System -> Storage -> Change where new content is saved -> New apps will save to ? Which drive?
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums