1.    28 Jul 2015 #1

    Bootable File Manager?


    Hello, is there any bootable file manager out there because I want to do the following things before installing Windows.


    1. Format my C:\ drive with Windows 7.1
    2. Move contents from my F:\ drive to C:\
    3. Install Windows 10 of F:\

    This is basically because F:\ is my old hard disk and I want to install Windows on it. Please help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       28 Jul 2015 #2

    You can boot from the Windows 7 CD and then when you get to the setup prompt, you type Shift-F10. This opens a command prompt which you can then run diskpart to delete the partitions, recreate them and then format the drive and copy the files using xcopy.

    Be careful, however, as the drive letters may not be mapped the same as they are now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 4,334
    Windows 10 Pro X64 14393.576
       28 Jul 2015 #3

    In your case F: will have to have a qualifying OS on it to get the free upgrade to Windows 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    28 Jul 2015 #4

    Mystere said: View Post
    You can boot from the Windows 7 CD and then when you get to the setup prompt, you type Shift-F10. This opens a command prompt which you can then run diskpart to delete the partitions, recreate them and then format the drive and copy the files using xcopy.

    Be careful, however, as the drive letters may not be mapped the same as they are now.
    Okay thanks.
    Is there any good tutorial you can recommend me?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,871
    Windows 10 Pro
       28 Jul 2015 #5

    There are lots of Linux live distributions that can run from CDs and USB sticks and most of them have partition tools and file managers that look enough like windows you shouldn't have any problems. Or you can even make a Windows Ready to Go USB (live Windows). Google ready to go windows usb.

    Also, I haven't used one in ages, but there is also Hiren's BootCD which has file manager and partition tools on it. Google hirens CD
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       28 Jul 2015 #6

    lolcocks said: View Post
    Hello, is there any bootable file manager out there because I want to do the following things before installing Windows.


    1. Format my C:\ drive with Windows 7.1
    2. Move contents from my F:\ drive to C:\
    3. Install Windows 10 of F:\

    This is basically because F:\ is my old hard disk and I want to install Windows on it. Please help.
    Try Minitool Partition Wizard.

    Download the Bootable ISO and burn it to CD or put it on a flash drive



    The documentation is very good:
    User guides: MiniTool Partition Manager Software User Guide

    These might be what you need, read through the guides, watch the videos and ask questions.
    Delete partition: How to Delete Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial
    Copy partition: How to Copy Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    28 Jul 2015 #7

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Try Minitool Partition Wizard.

    Download the Bootable ISO and burn it to CD or put it on a flash drive



    The documentation is very good:
    User guides: MiniTool Partition Manager Software User Guide

    These might be what you need, read through the guides, watch the videos and ask questions.
    Delete partition: How to Delete Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial
    Copy partition: How to Copy Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial
    Thanks, exactly what I needed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       29 Jul 2015 #8

    You're welcome.

    You'll probably have to change the boot code to point to the correct drive (hope it's not too late to mention that )
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File
How to Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 install.esd File Thanks to our member topgundcp for the idea. This tutorial will use the decrypt script mentioned in his post, according to new information I have found the original authors are users...
Tutorials
Solved An Alternative to Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 install.esd File
Here's an alternative in addition to Kari's Tutorial: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8SCzhbycA NOTE: It is better to create an ISO contaning install.wim so if you...
Installation and Setup
Alternative to Hosting Provider's File Manager Back End
I use a paid host for my three wordpress.org blogs but uploading themes is a hassle. If I use my host's file manager to manage my files, which I do, I can move files, including themes and plugins from one folder or blog installation to another...
Network and Sharing
Solved Having a plethora of issues with 64-bit TP bootable-USB
Okay so I'm running the OS/build my profile says I'm running. I installed it fine on my 32-bit laptop. Trying to get the 64-bit version onto another desktop computer. Not happening. Trying to make the bootable USB of a 64-bit OS in 32-bit...
Installation and Setup
How to make a bootable windows 10 usb
Ok so I wanted to be able to make a bootable usb with windows 10 on it but im not sure exactly how to do it, I tried to use the technical Preview iso but WinToUSB says it cannot find the bootable image. Help :confused:
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums