Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast
  1.    31 Jul 2015 #541
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,188
    Windows 10 IoT

    Three of my PC's were running the GWX App, two were stuck at Validating and the other at Almost ready. That didn't stop me from doing the upgrade via the Media Creation Tool though. It didn't stop me from downloading ISO's via that tool either. Although downloading the ISO's might have actually messed up the GWX download on that PC. I haven't confirmed it but they both might use the Windows~BT folder. Downloading an ISO with the media creation tool might have erased what was there from the GWX App. I have no way to verify it though at this point. I'm not going back and doing it all over again. It was way to frustrating the first time around.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    31 Jul 2015 #542
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 860
    Win 10 Home

    I opened my pc this morning and found the windows 10 icon back on, it had not been there for a while. I clicked on it and it asked me to reserve free copy of 10. I already had, but the computer thinks otherwise, so I have just had to reserve it again. I still have the icon on my laptop but no further information.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    31 Jul 2015 #543
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I always unplug all other drives when installing OS or just doing larger upgrades.
    Ever since the XP/98SE days I have generally unplugged one drive in order to add another version or OS onto the system I was running at the time. For the past XP/98SE dual XP saw the previous version option there after XP was installed last of course meaning a reinstall of the old version when adding 9x on.

    Since then First HD unplugged for Second HD OSing and with 7/Vista on prior occasions the EasyBCD program made life easier to edit the boot loaders for those two previous versions. regardless of which went on first or if both drives were left plugged in or not prior to the BCD edit.

    I know the first online upgrade attempt for the second drive saw the BT folder appear on the second storage drive where the iso images are saved. Initially the 32bit & 64bit MC tools were run at first from the second storage drive likely explaining that while the clean install of 7 seen to on the second drive also saw the exact same BT folder used as a temporary setup files location during any Windows install or upgrade. Remember the "copying setup files" screen during any op? They had to go somewhere!

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Three of my PC's were running the GWX App, two were stuck at Validating and the other at Almost ready. That didn't stop me from doing the upgrade via the Media Creation Tool though. It didn't stop me from downloading ISO's via that tool either. Although downloading the ISO's might have actually messed up the GWX download on that PC. I haven't confirmed it but they both might use the Windows~BT folder. Downloading an ISO with the media creation tool might have erased what was there from the GWX App. I have no way to verify it though at this point. I'm not going back and doing it all over again. It was way to frustrating the first time around.
    For 10 what I found when looking over both the BT and WS folders was that the language packs were found in the BT folder while the actual setup files are found in the WS resources sub folder once you dig through them! When downloading the dual iso I simply extracted the x86 into a 32bit usb install folder and the 64bit into one for the 64bit files and then added the shared files/folders to both of those folders in order to be able to see a new iso image created from each. And it looks it will be needed for the 32bit in order to see the 32bit media created since I keep seeing the system needs to be restarted pop up when the 32bit tool refuses to run in order to either upgrade on the spot or see media created.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    31 Jul 2015 #544
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,188
    Windows 10 IoT

    My install wim file and everything else was in the Windows~BT folder. I didn't have a Windows~WS folder until I ran the Media Creation Tool to download an ISO.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    31 Jul 2015 #545
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,164
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    My install wim file and everything else was in the Windows~BT folder. I didn't have a Windows~WS folder until I ran the Media Creation Tool to download an ISO.
    I didn't have WS folder after first download, it showed up only after I forced second download thru normal channels and it stayed there for third uninitiated download.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    31 Jul 2015 #546
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    My install wim file and everything else was in the Windows~BT folder. I didn't have a Windows~WS folder until I ran the Media Creation Tool to download an ISO.
    The option to download so far hasn't been seen in the Win Updates but from use of the tool. The upgrade attempts that have failed so are still being researched a little to discovery what the problem is other then having left a pair of storage drives plugged in where one did have a BT show up there. The other may have been from running the MC tool from a drive other then the one for the intended upgrade?! I have to look at everything since MS is obviously in a different ball park with this one!

    Will it require the wait for the reserved copy is now ready to download email despite already having download 10 by way of the Windows Insider program while not upgrading one of the TP builds? That remains to be seen as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    31 Jul 2015 #547
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,188
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    The option to download so far hasn't been seen in the Win Updates but from use of the tool. The upgrade attempts that have failed so are still being researched a little to discovery what the problem is other then having left a pair of storage drives plugged in where one did have a BT show up there. The other may have been from running the MC tool from a drive other then the one for the intended upgrade?! I have to look at everything since MS is obviously in a different ball park with this one!

    Will it require the wait for the reserved copy is now ready to download email despite already having download 10 by way of the Windows Insider program while not upgrading one of the TP builds? That remains to be seen as well.
    I had numerous Windows 10 upgrade failed entries in my update history. Likely because it tried to upgrade every time you booted up or ran Windows update. Microsoft withheld the boot.wim file so it couldn't upgrade until they said so. Not until after the 29th. Just my guess based on what I saw posted. I never asked for or received an e-mail. That is not mandatory. The GWX App can do all the notifications without an e-mail having to be sent. That's just an optional extra curtesy by Microsoft. I had one PC get as far as Almost Ready with no e-mail sent.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    31 Jul 2015 #548
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,132
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I had numerous Windows 10 upgrade failed entries in my update history. Likely because it tried to upgrade every time you booted up or ran Windows update. Microsoft withheld the boot.wim file so it couldn't upgrade until they said so. Not until after the 29th. Just my guess based on what I saw posted. I never asked for or received an e-mail. That is not mandatory. The GWX App can do all the notifications without an e-mail having to be sent. That's just an optional extra curtesy by Microsoft. I had one PC get as far as Almost Ready with no e-mail sent.
    Yep, I had several "upgrade to Windows 10 failed" on each of my machines too, Alpha. I decided to wait until the afternoon before I panicked and I'm glad I did. Although both laptops had multiple upgrade to Windows 10 failures, when it was time, both updated without issue.

    I waited until the afternoon of July 30 before resorting to the Media Creation Tool on this desktop. I haven't a clue as to why it wouldn't upgrade, since it was the very first of my computers added to Windows 10 Technical Preview. Sigh . . . At any rate, I downloaded and ran the MC Tool, clicked on Upgrade this PC and everything went without a hitch.

    Later on, I'm going to do clean installs, but I think I'll wait awhile for that. I will also use what I'm familiar with; ESD to ISO, then create a bootable installation flash drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    31 Jul 2015 #549
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,188
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Yep, I had several "upgrade to Windows 10 failed" on each of my machines too, Alpha. I decided to wait until the afternoon before I panicked and I'm glad I did. Although both laptops had multiple upgrade to Windows 10 failures, when it was time, both updated without issue.

    I waited until the afternoon of July 30 before resorting to the Media Creation Tool on this desktop. I haven't a clue as to why it wouldn't upgrade, since it was the very first of my computers added to Windows 10 Technical Preview. Sigh . . . At any rate, I downloaded and ran the MC Tool, clicked on Upgrade this PC and everything went without a hitch.

    Later on, I'm going to do clean installs, but I think I'll wait awhile for that. I will also use what I'm familiar with; ESD to ISO, then create a bootable installation flash drive.
    I downloaded the Home and Pro ISO's via the Media Creation Tool, I also downloaded the MSDN Windows 10 ISO's. They are multi edition though Home and Pro, the key you enter determines what is installed. I find it easier to use the just Pro ISO for installs as that's all I install on my home PC's. So far I haven't used any of my Windows 10 MSDN keys.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    31 Jul 2015 #550
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I had numerous Windows 10 upgrade failed entries in my update history. Likely because it tried to upgrade every time you booted up or ran Windows update. Microsoft withheld the boot.wim file so it couldn't upgrade until they said so. Not until after the 29th. Just my guess based on what I saw posted. I never asked for or received an e-mail. That is not mandatory. The GWX App can do all the notifications without an e-mail having to be sent. That's just an optional extra curtesy by Microsoft. I had one PC get as far as Almost Ready with no e-mail sent.
    I suspected that something was "MISSING" when continuing to see the fails repeat themselves here. But hearing about that file I will be looking through the 10 media being iso images as well as the dvd and flash drives to see if that file comes up or is delinquent? Then that should be a confirmation of a type to verify your finding there.

    After a full search plus looking over the BT and WS resources folders on both OS drives I found bootres.dll, bootmgr, and a couple of other files with the boot word in the file names but no sign of the boot.win file anywhere! Something smell a little MS Fishy at all? Me thinkest some of this is by MS intent to trip you up especially if you opted to reserve a copy and all other download attempts will fail due to that item not being present for the 10 installer to find. I did find a repeat error I tried looking up but only found a slight variation in MS Answers posts.

    Error #0xC1900101-0x20017 for me while others saw 0xC1900101-0x40017 with the message saying: "The installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an error during the boot operation" which is when getting just past the setup's Win logo startup screen you end up witn... nothing but a blank screen where you are then forced to hit the reset for a hard boot into the existing version of Windows you have on. Nothing there was changed since the upgrade simply couldn't proceed with nuking anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?
My Win7.1-64 system is very old and I need to do a clean install of Win10. My current Win7 is installed on an old SSD so I decided to get a new one, which I now have. My plan was to create a Win10 ISO flash drive, replace my current SSD boot...
Installation and Upgrade
You Can Upgrade to Win10 Pro for a £1 Now
If you are running Windows 10 Home Edition and want to upgrade to Pro you can do it for about £1 English or 14:99 Swedish kroner. To do this click on Start then Settings. Now click on Update and Security then on Activation and you will see the...
General Support
Solved Solution Found - Build 10041 to 10162 upgrade - It Works!
After struggling for hours to get this upgrade going... I finally found a solution thanks to a facebook friend. This guy installed build 10041, and successfully upgraded to 10162. So i decided to try the same... Clean installed 10041,...
Installation and Upgrade
Will tp users be able to upgrade straight to win10?
I have been using win 10 tp for quite a while and I'm pleased with it. Just curious am I going to have to reinstall another windows to get win 10 or be able to go straight from Windows 10 when it releases? Thanks for the help.
General Support
W10 Insider Prev upgrade to Win10 full vs of W7/8 upgrade to W10
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:22.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums