windows services greyed out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       #1

    windows services greyed out


    hi there, I'm having this problem in windows services, windows update service is greyed out and I can't change from automatic to manual, and windows Installer have the same problem. I want to be able to change to manual, I have try with admin account still nothing. Any help pls? btw I have try through cmd, denied cod:5 .

    windows services greyed out-windows_services.png
    Last edited by ProManicx; 11 Aug 2017 at 09:28.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 170
    Windows 10 Ent, Pro & Home
       #2

    Are you logged in with a admin account for that computer? Also, if you are using Windows 10 Home, I don't think you can change that setting.
      My Computer

  3. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,688
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #3

    You can change startup via registry, either manually or via CMD as admin. 2 - auto / 3 - manual / 4 - disabled.

    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f
    Windows Installer is greyed out, because it is an essential service used by installers, not just by Windows.
      My Computer

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,790
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    TairikuOkami said:
    Windows Installer is greyed out, because it is an essential service used by installers, not just by Windows.
    Thanks, that makes sense. I just checked mine and it was greyed out too. I also checked my Windows Update service. Unlike the OP, mine is not greyed out. It's also set to Manual (again, unlike the OP). I don't recall ever changing it myself, so I assume that's the default. Windows 10 Home, v1703, build 15063.540, signed in with an admin account.
      My Computers

  5. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,688
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #5

    Bree said:
    Unlike the OP, mine is not greyed out.
    Same, might be dozens of reasons, for one AV protecting the service, so malware would not block updates.

    Changing WU service to anything usually does not matter, it starts even when disabled.

    Disabling a service, which it is silently dependant on, does help though, like BITS.

    Fall CU has already made some changes, like locking a few services.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    wyldman68 said:
    Are you logged in with a admin account for that computer? Also, if you are using Windows 10 Home, I don't think you can change that setting.
    Its an admin account on windows 10 pro.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    TairikuOkami said:
    Same, might be dozens of reasons, for one AV protecting the service, so malware would not block updates.

    Changing WU service to anything usually does not matter, it starts even when disabled.

    Disabling a service, which it is silently dependant on, does help though, like BITS.

    Fall CU has already made some changes, like locking a few services.
    Strange thing is i never saw a windows update service greyed out on Win pro version....
      My Computer

  8. pepanee's Avatar
    Posts : 1,460
    Windows 10 Professional
       #8

    Mine is also grayed out (refer to the picture)

    What I'm saying isn't something that I'm 100% sure about, but should be pretty accurate; you can go online and do more research on it:
    The service states: "Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as a Windows Installer (*.msi, *.msp) package."
    There are many applications, that you could install, that may have an msi extension. So if you disable this service, the msi installer files will not install. In the past I've seen some Windows Update files that have msi as their extension (instead of exe). So I'm assuming that this is a very essential service that Microsoft doesn't want you to disable, because if you manage to disable it, some apps that you try to install will probably not install, and the same with some Windows Updates (they may not install). Hence it is highly recommended to keep this service running.

    Windows Update service: Very recommended that Microsoft doesn't want you to disable. Because if hackers hack Windows, Microsoft would release updates to avoid hackers from getting in your computer. So Windows Update is VERY recommended to be enabled all the time.

    *Edit*: My Windows Update service seems like it could be disabled, that's strange. I thought it was always enabled. I don't know why yours is different. But it's nothing to worry about. Your computer is safe because it's enabled.

    windows services greyed out-msiserver.png windows services greyed out-wuauserv.png
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    pepanee said:
    Mine is also grayed out (refer to the picture)

    What I'm saying isn't something that I'm 100% sure about, but should be pretty accurate; you can go online and do more research on it:
    The service states: "Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as a Windows Installer (*.msi, *.msp) package."
    There are many applications, that you could install, that may have an msi extension. So if you disable this service, the msi installer files will not install. In the past I've seen some Windows Update files that have msi as their extension (instead of exe). So I'm assuming that this is a very essential service that Microsoft doesn't want you to disable, because if you manage to disable it, some apps that you try to install will probably not install, and the same with some Windows Updates (they may not install). Hence it is highly recommended to keep this service running.

    Windows Update service: Very recommended that Microsoft doesn't want you to disable. Because if hackers hack Windows, Microsoft would release updates to avoid hackers from getting in your computer. So Windows Update is VERY recommended to be enabled all the time.

    *Edit*: My Windows Update service seems like it could be disabled, that's strange. I thought it was always enabled. I don't know why yours is different. But it's nothing to worry about. Your computer is safe because it's enabled.

    windows services greyed out-msiserver.png windows services greyed out-wuauserv.png
    I agreed with you 100%, I don´t wanna disable, because I'm aware of the consequence it may cause, like been hacking. Its only odd for me win update is like that, i'm not sure if is something bad but as you were saying, at least I'm safe.
      My Computer

  10. pepanee's Avatar
    Posts : 1,460
    Windows 10 Professional
       #10

    Yes you should be okay.

    As long as the window says: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    then you should be safe. Yours says the same exact thing as mine. And I wouldn't worry about why yours doesn't let you disable it. There's many settings in Windows that are different for some people, for unknown reasons. Microsoft just wants to do it that way or something. Also, yours is in a different language, so this maybe has something to do with your country. Maybe your country politics has asked Microsoft to make that setting for your version of Windows unchangeable.

    But if I were you, I feel safe, because the two window services you posted have settings that look exactly like mine, and I'm sure like everyone else too. So you're good.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums