What's the diff between win+x shutdown and desktop icon shutdown?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. mck
    Posts : 122
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    What's the diff between win+x shutdown and desktop icon shutdown?


    I've always had a desktop shortcut to shutdown Win10 as follows:
    ..... TARGET: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 00
    However since switching to Win10 when I click that shutdown icon, Win10 can take a long time to shutdown.

    But if I press (win+x) and then do a shutdown that way, Win10 always shuts down in a minimum amount of time.

    It seems that the desktop shutdown is allowing Win10 to do any pending Win10 updates while the (win+x) shutdown just does a shutdown and ignores any pending Win10 updates. Is that correct?

    The desktop shutdown is aggravating when I'm troubleshooting a problem since it forces me to wait a long time for the shutdown to complete. How can I modify the desktop shortcut's TARGET to make it work like the (win+x) shutdown? Then I could have two desktop shutdowns and pick the one to use as appropriate.

    Thanks.
      My Computer

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,178
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #2

    mck said:
    I've always had a desktop shortcut to shutdown Win10 as follows:
    ..... TARGET: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 00
    However since switching to Win10 when I click that shutdown icon, Win10 can take a long time to shutdown.

    But if I press (win+x) and then do a shutdown that way, Win10 always shuts down in a minimum amount of time.

    It seems that the desktop shutdown is allowing Win10 to do any pending Win10 updates while the (win+x) shutdown just does a shutdown and ignores any pending Win10 updates. Is that correct?

    The desktop shutdown is aggravating when I'm troubleshooting a problem since it forces me to wait a long time for the shutdown to complete. How can I modify the desktop shortcut's TARGET to make it work like the (win+x) shutdown? Then I could have two desktop shutdowns and pick the one to use as appropriate.

    Thanks.
    I know there are different flavors of Shutdown switches and values, but I can't remember the best one. I do know @Kari has a shutdown command that is quick and complete. Maybe he will pop it here.
      My Computers

  3. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,369
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #3

    mck said:
    I've always had a desktop shortcut to shutdown Win10 as follows:
    ..... TARGET: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 00
    However since switching to Win10 when I click that shutdown icon, Win10 can take a long time to shutdown.

    But if I press (win+x) and then do a shutdown that way, Win10 always shuts down in a minimum amount of time.

    It seems that the desktop shutdown is allowing Win10 to do any pending Win10 updates while the (win+x) shutdown just does a shutdown and ignores any pending Win10 updates. Is that correct?

    The desktop shutdown is aggravating when I'm troubleshooting a problem since it forces me to wait a long time for the shutdown to complete. How can I modify the desktop shortcut's TARGET to make it work like the (win+x) shutdown? Then I could have two desktop shutdowns and pick the one to use as appropriate.

    Thanks.
    This is my shutdown command and it shuts it down fast and irrevocably: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00
      My Computers


  4. mck
    Posts : 122
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #4

    CountMike said:
    This is my shutdown command and it shuts it down fast and irrevocably: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00
    I'll create another desktop shutdown shortcut using your method and see how it works.
    Thanks.
      My Computer

  5. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,369
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #5

    mck said:
    I'll create another desktop shutdown shortcut using your method and see how it works.
    Thanks.
    You can also use it thru Command prompt or Run.
    For Restart: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -R -F -T 00
      My Computers


  6. mck
    Posts : 122
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #6

    CountMike said:
    This is my shutdown command and it shuts it down fast and irrevocably: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00
    mck said:
    I'll create another desktop shutdown shortcut using your method and see how it works.
    Thanks.
    I tried using your shutdown options but unfortunately it appears that it's the same as my current desktop shortcut shutdown (%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00") without the "-f forced" option.
    I think the -f option just forces any open programs to close but still allows Win10 updating to occur.

    I'll have to wait for a long Win10 update to really be sure though.
    Thanks,
    mck
      My Computer

  7. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,369
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #7

    Did you have a look at BIOS, maybe something is preventing full shutdown ?
      My Computers


  8. mck
    Posts : 122
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #8

    CountMike said:
    Did you have a look at BIOS, maybe something is preventing full shutdown ?
    Hi CountMike,

    I don't have any problem doing a full shutdown. I wanted to know what's the difference between doing my desktop shortcut shutdown verses doing a (winkey+x) shutdown. I think my desktop shortcut shutdown can take a long time because it's allowing Win10 updates to happen automatically.

    Thanks,
    mck
      My Computer

  9. TechnoMage's Avatar
    Posts : 378
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32
       #9

    MCK
    Edit your shutdown shortcut to change the "t 00" to "t 1". It will work better. Windows does not seem to understand "00' to mean a legitimate number. I've been there, and done that. Give it a whilr!

    Happy Trails, Mate!
    TechnoMage
      My Computer

  10. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,515
    Windows 10 Pro
       #10

    Try turning off Windows 10 Fast Startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

    Also try disabling Hibernation:
    powercfg.exe /hibernate off
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums