Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    27 Jul 2015 #11
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by fracking4oil View Post
    Upgrade as in a patch or from scratch?

    Edited: Crap, I did it again... Damn consecutive posts!
    Upgrade.. you can do a clean install later on but first you'll have to upgrade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Justdave View Post
    Will the 29th have a new build number"

    JustDave
    Don't know.. wait till the 29th and we'll know for certain.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Jul 2015 #12
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 616
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Upgrade over:
    Win7
    Win8.1
    Or Build 10240...

    You will have to have the base version of Win10.. the upgrade that we'll get on the 29th.
    So you're saying if I'm upgrading from a Win 8.1 key I need to reinstall 8.1 to upgrade to 10? IMHO that's just stu... silly, when I already have it; I should just be able to punch in my 8.1 key after getting a patch on the 29th.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Jul 2015 #13
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by fracking4oil View Post
    I agree, but it just seems people expect the servers to be loaded with insiders downloading the "final release" (for the lack of a better term), while if it's just a patch that may not be the case.
    That's not going to be an issue since insiders get the upgrade first.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Jul 2015 #14
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 626
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)

    Quote Originally Posted by fracking4oil View Post
    On the 29th are insiders going to have to download and install basically what we already have all over again? Wouldn't it make more sense for MS to send a small update, much like the "security updates", that tells our systems that it's the "final release"? Besides any possible fixes, all we really need is the menu to let us choose whether or not we want to stay and insider; if not an option to upgrade a Win 7/8.* key to Win 10 and hopefully an option to download an ISO (at some point).
    That's what I would expect, but who knows. Nobody here. You'd be better off asking at a MS forum.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    27 Jul 2015 #15
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by fracking4oil View Post
    So you're saying if I'm upgrading from a Win 8.1 key I need to reinstall 8.1 to upgrade to 10? IMHO that's just stu... silly, when I already have it; I should just be able to punch in my 8.1 key after getting a patch on the 29th.
    Ah.. no. Keep Win8.1 as is and upgrade when it's your turn. That simple. And we don't really know what will come down on the 29th with the upgrade. I'm speculating that it will be patches but it could be more.

    Just relax and see what happens on the 29th.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Jul 2015 #16
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 616
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Ah.. no. Keep Win8.1 as is and upgrade when it's your turn. That simple. And we don't really know what will come down on the 29th with the upgrade. I'm speculating that it will be patches but it could be more.

    Just relax and see what happens on the 29th.
    What I'm saying is, I currently don't have Windows 8.1 installed just Win 10 from ISO (build 10162 updated to 10240). So I guess I should start working on getting 8.1 back on my system (already reserved prior)?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    27 Jul 2015 #17
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by fracking4oil View Post
    What I'm saying is, I currently don't have Windows 8.1 installed just Win 10 from ISO (build 10162 updated to 10240). So I guess I should start working on getting 8.1 back on my system (already reserved prior)?
    You might get the upgrade but the best bet might be to reinstall WIn8.1 and go from there. What I did was to upgrade 10240 over my activated Win8.1 and so far it works fine and I've been getting all of the updates

    I suspect that on the 29th I should get the final upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    27 Jul 2015 #18
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by fracking4oil View Post
    So you're saying if I'm upgrading from a Win 8.1 key I need to reinstall 8.1 to upgrade to 10? IMHO that's just stu... silly, when I already have it; I should just be able to punch in my 8.1 key after getting a patch on the 29th.
    Allowing people to enter their old product keys would have been too logical, so we'll need to reinstall and upgrade instead... or just stay as an Insider and not worry about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    27 Jul 2015 #19
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by fracking4oil View Post
    On the 29th are insiders going to have to download and install basically what we already have all over again? Wouldn't it make more sense for MS to send a small update, much like the "security updates", that tells our systems that it's the "final release"? Besides any possible fixes, all we really need is the menu to let us choose whether or not we want to stay and insider; if not an option to upgrade a Win 7/8.* key to Win 10 and hopefully an option to download an ISO (at some point).
    Who says we will have to? You're making a lot of assumptions.

    Fact is, we just don't know. If the final release is a new build number, you'll have to go through a whole build upgrade. If it's not, then chances are it will likely just be patches. Hard to say until the day of...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    27 Jul 2015 #20
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 1,313
    Windows 10 Pro,
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
A fun surprise for Windows Insiders…
Source: A fun surprise for Windows Insiders... | Blogging Windows
Windows 10 News
20% off for Insiders.
Hey guys, I noticed an article from PCWorld in my Facebook feed saying that Microsoft Insiders will get a 20% if they buy from the Microsoft store on July 29th. I have one question, is there anyway I could order online and just log in to my...
General Support
Solved Cannot manually download updates from download.microsoft.com
So, I have both windows 7 and windows 10 installed on two computers. (Total of four operating systems) And I need to download User-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2, but when I click 'Click here' and...
Windows Updates and Activation
What happens after July 29 for Insiders?
Let's say i'm happy with status of Windows 10 by July 29. Can i download an .iso of the official version and install that one (like present previews) or can i just keep on going to be an insider "ad infinitum"?
General Support
A little something for Windows Insiders
Source...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums