Numeric Keyboard start up  


  1. Posts : 4
    IE
       #1

    Numeric Keyboard start up


    Since last updates, two problems have occurred with Windows 10 on my laptop.

    1. Numeric keyboard always opens now with 'num lock' not working. Before I wouldn't have to do anything, now I have to press it to get numbers to type

    2. Random freezing while using Facebook.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 7,254
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #2

    Hi and welcome

    This isn't an issue with 10 per se, its been going on since 7. Have you tried looking at your bios, there's usually an option to enable numlock there.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 4
    IE
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thanks for your reply. No I haven't looked in my bios, I wouldn't know where to look even, My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10 about 15 months ago. It's never happened before and is becoming a right pain, as most of my passwords have numerical letters in them and I can be merrily typing away, when I find the numbers aren't showing up.

    Where do I find the bios please?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 13,178
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home
       #4

    There is or has been a Registry entry one could make that generally allowed having the keyboard to work at startup but my experience is that it only retains the status at shutdown/reboot, or in other words if the numlock was On at shutdown/reboot it would be On at startup, if Off it would come back as Off. It seems to me Win10 takes control of the numlock regardless of what the BIOS setting is. That 'control' is not a problem if the keyboard is like on a large number of Notebooks and Tablets that don't have the keypad, maybe that's part of the reason for its action and the change of Win8 leading into touchscreen use on handheld devices.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 7,254
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #5

    LynneW said:
    Thanks for your reply. No I haven't looked in my bios, I wouldn't know where to look even, My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10 about 15 months ago. It's never happened before and is becoming a right pain, as most of my passwords have numerical letters in them and I can be merrily typing away, when I find the numbers aren't showing up.

    Where do I find the bios please?
    Unfortunately most BIOSs are different. Mine might be in a different place from yours. Its a question of going through it. It should be near the beginning and mention numlock.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 56,682
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #6

    LynneW said:
    Since last updates, two problems have occurred with Windows 10 on my laptop.

    1. Numeric keyboard always opens now with 'num lock' not working. Before I wouldn't have to do anything, now I have to press it to get numbers to type

    2. Random freezing while using Facebook.
    @LynneW

    If the above suggestions do not work for you, try this registry mod. I've been using it for some time with all Win 10 versions.


    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard]
    "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2"
    "KeyboardDelay"="1"
    "KeyboardSpeed"="31"
    Force Num Lock On.reg
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 4
    IE
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Thanks for that info, I think I will have to take it to someone who is au fait with the Registry. I am too much of a beginner. Or I can always leave the num lock as it is.... annoying. LOL

    I was just asking on here for a quick fix but it looks like there isn't one which I would term as easy for me.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 132,480
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 22H2 Build 22621.2361
       #8

    LynneW said:
    Thanks for that info, I think I will have to take it to someone who is au fait with the Registry. I am too much of a beginner. Or I can always leave the num lock as it is.... annoying. LOL

    I was just asking on here for a quick fix but it looks like there isn't one which I would term as easy for me.
    All you had to do was download that link f14tomcat gave you, then just click on it after you download the file, and it will put the commands in your registry for you. :) Real Easy.
    If Windows gives your a warning msg, ignore it, as this is normal for Windows to show.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 4
    IE
    Thread Starter
       #9

    It's all solved but I don't know how. But thank you everybody for your help.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums