Windows 10: How do I make the start screen the default when first logging in Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    26 Jul 2015 #11

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    What is the screenshot that I posted? The screen with all the apps icons on it that appears when I press the windows key.
    Sigh.. use the recommendation that wzor posted. BTW, the start menu is the default option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 116
    Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
       26 Jul 2015 #12

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    It's not the default because all three computers that I have updated to Windows 10 goes right into the desktop when I sign in for every user that signs on to those computers.
    He meant that the start menu is default. The windows 8 screen BunnyJ tough you wanted isn't default, therefore he told you the screenshot you posted was default
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8,313
    Windows 10 Professional
       26 Jul 2015 #13

    This used to work but I'm not sure if it does in the current build:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage

    OpenAtLogon Value 1
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 116
    Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
       26 Jul 2015 #14

    Edwin said: View Post
    This used to work but I'm not sure if it does in the current build:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage

    OpenAtLogon Value 1
    Nope. Mine is set on 1 but i still have to use the method I posted
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    26 Jul 2015 #15

    @ NavyLCDR if you set to Tablet Mode, the system boots to the Windows 10 Start Screen
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 116
    Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
       26 Jul 2015 #16

    nt62 said: View Post
    @ NavyLCDR if you set to Tablet Mode, the system boots to the Windows 10 Start Screen
    It unfortunately doesn't. I have it always in tablet mode as I own a Windows TabletPC and I always have to click on the button to get into the start menu at boot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    26 Jul 2015 #17

    wzor said: View Post
    Nope. Mine is set on 1 but i still have to use the method I posted
    I tried your workaround, wzor. It does work, but I am impatient and I like to start working on the computer asap and I find myself thinking, "Come on....come on....let's go" before it switches to the start menu :-)

    nt62 said: View Post
    @ NavyLCDR if you set to Tablet Mode, the system boots to the Windows 10 Start Screen
    Thank you, yes, I did try that. Unfortunately with Tablet Mode I don't like losing the ability to size and move windows around :-). You would think an option like which screen you want when you sign in would be something Microsoft would have left in. Of the 5 computer users in my family, 2 want the start menu and 3 want the desktop.

    wzor said: View Post
    It unfortunately doesn't. I have it always in tablet mode as I own a Windows TabletPC and I always have to click on the button to get into the start menu at boot.
    That's weird, when I set the settings to start in tablet mode, my laptop boots into the start menu right away. Then, in fact, I haven't figured out how to get to the desktop in tablet mode :-)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 Jul 2015 #18

    wzor said: View Post
    It unfortunately doesn't. I have it always in tablet mode as I own a Windows TabletPC and I always have to click on the button to get into the start menu at boot.
    I can't explain why it doesn't for you.

    My system will boot to the Windows 10 start screen.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows 10 start screen.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	724.4 KB 
ID:	25997
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    26 Jul 2015 #19

    nt62 said: View Post
    I can't explain why it doesn't for you.

    My system will boot to the Windows 10 start screen.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows 10 start screen.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	724.4 KB 
ID:	25997
    That's the start menu.. not the old start screen from WIn8 days.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 116
    Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
       26 Jul 2015 #20

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    I tried your workaround, wzor. It does work, but I am impatient and I like to start working on the computer asap and I find myself thinking, "Come on....come on....let's go" before it switches to the start menu :-)


    Thank you, yes, I did try that. Unfortunately with Tablet Mode I don't like losing the ability to size and move windows around :-). You would think an option like which screen you want when you sign in would be something Microsoft would have left in. Of the 5 computer users in my family, 2 want the start menu and 3 want the desktop.



    That's weird, when I set the settings to start in tablet mode, my laptop boots into the start menu right away. Then, in fact, I haven't figured out how to get to the desktop in tablet mode :-)
    Mine doesn't... hmmm... well it doesn't bother me at least. And the delay can be frustrating, I know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Morning All, I know there are not to many people who like the touch side of things, but I have just installed 10 on a touch device Star Screen is the default, looks exactly the same as 8 Apps all launch maximized on the desktop (not the new...
Anyway to make start button list all my applications without having to to click all apps and remove the abc categories?
I cannot make Outlook 2016 default email client. I try tru the setting...default and it looks like it is the default. Then I get an error window that says there is no email default and I should set it up in Outlook 2016. When I try it takes me back...
Make Google Default Search in IE?? in Browsers and Email
I've been trying to figure out how to add google search to IE and make it my default search engine. When I go to the add on gallery here: http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/addons?callback=true&featuretype=2 and click google, then add to IE,...
Hi there at one time there was a way to make Powershell the default cmd processor -- I can't find it any more. Any links. Cheers jimbo
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:44.
Find Us