Windows 10: An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005 Solved


  1. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Dual-boot with Ubuntu 16.04.2
       27 Jul 2017 #1

    An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005


    Greetings,

    I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which came with Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit pre-installed, and I installed Ubuntu 16.04.2 64-bit in dual-boot configuration alongside.

    A shared Dropbox folder exists between the two OS and up to now everything was working flawlessly. Recently, when I tried to copy my Dropbox folder to an external HDD the process failed by throwing the error:

    "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

    Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error"

    I tried copying the Dropbox folder to another folder in the same drive (not an external one) and the problem persisted; the attached screenshot pertains to this case. The second screenshot is the permissions of the folder and the user account I use has the name Ongun.

    What may be causing this issue and how can I resolve it? The filesystem is NTFS and doing the same folder operation in Ubuntu does not raise any errors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss.PNG   ss2.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 9,860
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       28 Jul 2017 #2

    Hi Vesnog. Welcome to the TenForums @Vesnog.

    Have you tried a complete uninstall of dropbox on your windows side and then a complete install. I suggest as I had an issue with iCloud after a major update. Once re-installed it worked fine.


    Ken
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Dual-boot with Ubuntu 16.04.2
    Thread Starter
       28 Jul 2017 #3

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Hi Vesnog. Welcome to the TenForums @Vesnog.

    Have you tried a complete uninstall of dropbox on your windows side and then a complete install. I suggest as I had an issue with iCloud after a major update. Once re-installed it worked fine.


    Ken
    Dear Caledon,

    I uninstalled Dropbox and restarted the computer to find out that the problem still persists.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. ArazelEternal's Avatar
    Posts : 318
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       28 Jul 2017 #4

    In addition to doing that, I would also try running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt to see if that comes up with any integrity violations.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Dual-boot with Ubuntu 16.04.2
    Thread Starter
       28 Jul 2017 #5

    ArazelEternal said: View Post
    In addition to doing that, I would also try running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt to see if that comes up with any integrity violations.
    There were some corrupt files, but the scan did not resolve the issue.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	146071
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. ArazelEternal's Avatar
    Posts : 318
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       28 Jul 2017 #6

    This probably isnt going to help much either, but when dealing with any kind of issue, it never hurts to make sure the heart of the system is up to snuff.

    In an elevated command prompt type:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    See what that does, if it finds anything and is able to fix it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Dual-boot with Ubuntu 16.04.2
    Thread Starter
       29 Jul 2017 #7

    ArazelEternal said: View Post
    This probably isnt going to help much either, but when dealing with any kind of issue, it never hurts to make sure the heart of the system is up to snuff.

    In an elevated command prompt type:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    See what that does, if it finds anything and is able to fix it.
    Thanks for the recommendation. After doing that and the problem is still there, and the output is as follows:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss2.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	146174
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 9,860
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       29 Jul 2017 #8

    Hi Vesnog.

    I would recommend that you run an in-place repair / upgrade. This will keep stuff as is but it will update you the Creator's update.

    I would back up your personal data off machine. The process should not impact it but I like "Better safe than sorry".

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

    Read the warning in tutorial. The process is pretty easy and it repairs all kinds of conditions.


    Ken
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Dual-boot with Ubuntu 16.04.2
    Thread Starter
       29 Jul 2017 #9

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Hi Vesnog.

    I would recommend that you run an in-place repair / upgrade. This will keep stuff as is but it will update you the Creator's update.

    I would back up your personal data off machine. The process should not impact it but I like "Better safe than sorry".

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

    Read the warning in tutorial. The process is pretty easy and it repairs all kinds of conditions.


    Ken
    I solved the problem, the culprit was a file generated in non NTFS file-system (possibly ext4) on some Linux distribution used by one of my friends that I share a folder with. Somewhere in it was a file with a name that did not comply Windows standards.

    After removing the offending folder in Linux environment everything works as intended. Thanks for your assistance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 9,860
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       29 Jul 2017 #10

    Great. Please mark your thread solved.

    Ken
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I am trying to move a folder with a bunch of image files in it off of my flash drive to the 'Documents' folder. Every time I try to do so, I get the following error: "error 0x80004005 unspecified error" Which Google only brings up results about...
anyone run this one before? I am not currently using a WIFI device. Error 16393 Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Bits-Client Date: 12/8/2015 3:05:05 PM Event ID: 16393 Task Category: None Level: ...
Can't create local user, only get an 0x80004005 error in User Accounts and Family Safety
What should have been a 2-minute task has turned into a death march, the kind only Microsoft can provide! :mad: I simply wanted to remove a long dead hotmail account from my user sign in account and update it with my current outlook email. Seems...
I've tried restarting the wuauserv service, no luck. But, if this is a problem I can't fix, can I upgrade from the ISO? I don't want to do a clean install.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04.
Find Us