Windows 10: Glitches in my Administrator Account - not in other accounts

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 31,071
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       24 Jul 2017 #11

    Nisko said: View Post
    I want to try the tutorial - but I have a question: I have MANY custom icons on my Desktop. Will they revert to the standard icons?
    I don't know. The author of the tut may, @Brink .....
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 27,188
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17604
       24 Jul 2017 #12

    Hello Nisko,

    No worries. Rebuilding the icon cache will not affect your custom icons.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    24 Jul 2017 #13

    OK, rebuilt the icon cache but that didn't help. I also tried two other accounts and I have the same problem (I can't do anything with the drop down list. Right clicking on the icon will bring up the drop down list but, after a few seconds, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds - and then the icons and wallpaper appear again. I wonder if the wallpaper is corrupted.
    Last edited by Nisko; 24 Jul 2017 at 17:52.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,308
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       25 Jul 2017 #14

    Does it work if you create a new user account? You could try restoring your PC to an earlier working state via System Restore, recover from a working backup or try a repair install Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    25 Jul 2017 #15

    This one is a tough nut!!! It started when W10 first came out and I installed it on top of W7. I've been struggling with it since then. I'm too old and have too many programs so I don't want to consider a clean install. A System Restore would be of no help. I haven't tried a NEW user account (ADDENDUM: I JUST TRIED A NEW USER ACCOUNT AND THAT DIDN'T WORK)- but have tried existing user accounts and that doesn't work. I've performed more than one repair install - no luck. I've tried ShellExView from NirSoft to try and isolate a badly acting startup program and that doesn't work. I've tried a clean boot - doesn't work. Tried sfc /scannow - no luck. TRIED DISM - RESTORE HEALTH - DIDN'T WORK, Other people on the 'net have had the problem - but their solutions haven't worked for me. I'm persistent - any idea where to turn to next? I'm willing to try...........

    MAYBE GREAT NEWS!!! I JUST TRIED TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE. THE ERROR I'M DEALING WITH DOESN'T HAPPEN IN SAFE MODE. DOES THAT PROVIDE A CLUE AS TO WHAT TO DO NOW - GIVEN THAT I'VE TRIED ALL THE METHODS ABOVE?
    Last edited by Nisko; 25 Jul 2017 at 11:03.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,308
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       26 Jul 2017 #16

    Nisko said: View Post
    This one is a tough nut!!! It started when W10 first came out and I installed it on top of W7. I've been struggling with it since then. I'm too old and have too many programs so I don't want to consider a clean install. A System Restore would be of no help. I haven't tried a NEW user account (ADDENDUM: I JUST TRIED A NEW USER ACCOUNT AND THAT DIDN'T WORK)- but have tried existing user accounts and that doesn't work. I've performed more than one repair install - no luck. I've tried ShellExView from NirSoft to try and isolate a badly acting startup program and that doesn't work. I've tried a clean boot - doesn't work. Tried sfc /scannow - no luck. TRIED DISM - RESTORE HEALTH - DIDN'T WORK, Other people on the 'net have had the problem - but their solutions haven't worked for me. I'm persistent - any idea where to turn to next? I'm willing to try...........

    MAYBE GREAT NEWS!!! I JUST TRIED TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE. THE ERROR I'M DEALING WITH DOESN'T HAPPEN IN SAFE MODE. DOES THAT PROVIDE A CLUE AS TO WHAT TO DO NOW - GIVEN THAT I'VE TRIED ALL THE METHODS ABOVE?
    It seems you have something loading which is causing problems. I recommend Autoruns to control what startup program / service / task is running - see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sys...loads/autoruns
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 31,071
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       26 Jul 2017 #17

    Nisko said: View Post
    This one is a tough nut!!! It started when W10 first came out and I installed it on top of W7. I've been struggling with it since then. I'm too old and have too many programs so I don't want to consider a clean install. A System Restore would be of no help. I haven't tried a NEW user account (ADDENDUM: I JUST TRIED A NEW USER ACCOUNT AND THAT DIDN'T WORK)- but have tried existing user accounts and that doesn't work. I've performed more than one repair install - no luck. I've tried ShellExView from NirSoft to try and isolate a badly acting startup program and that doesn't work. I've tried a clean boot - doesn't work. Tried sfc /scannow - no luck. TRIED DISM - RESTORE HEALTH - DIDN'T WORK, Other people on the 'net have had the problem - but their solutions haven't worked for me. I'm persistent - any idea where to turn to next? I'm willing to try...........

    MAYBE GREAT NEWS!!! I JUST TRIED TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE. THE ERROR I'M DEALING WITH DOESN'T HAPPEN IN SAFE MODE. DOES THAT PROVIDE A CLUE AS TO WHAT TO DO NOW - GIVEN THAT I'VE TRIED ALL THE METHODS ABOVE?
    Good morning, Nisko. The line above in blue.... that app has absolutely nothing to do with startup programs.

    This excerpt from your post:

    It started when W10 first came out and I installed it on top of W7. I've been struggling with it since then. I'm too old and have too many programs so I don't want to consider a clean install.

    That was 2+ years ago. There were, and still are, known problems (I can't list them all), installing W10 on top of Win 7. That migration path caused lots of problems for lots of people (again, far too many to try to list).

    Booting into Safe Mode without getting the issue says something that is starting up is messed up. Don't mean to sound glib about it, but that's it. You've got something starting/running that is just not right. Yes, you could disable everything, then go thru each and every entry enabling one at a time, and re-boot to see where it fails. It could be one, or a combination, or conflicting apps. It would be, at best, a hit-and-miss trial-and-error process. Miss one step and you have to start all over again.

    I realize what you do not want to do, but you've been at this now for 2 days. Honestly, you could spend another 2 weeks with this approach, and be no better off.

    2+ years of fighting with a Win10 over Win 7 install just is not worth it.

    Bite the bullet. Clean install. Get it over with. I don't recommend clean installs as a fix-all for every post on TF, but in your case it seems prudent.

    The choice, of course, is yours.

    TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    26 Jul 2017 #18

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Good morning, Nisko. The line above in blue.... that app has absolutely nothing to do with startup programs.

    This excerpt from your post:

    It started when W10 first came out and I installed it on top of W7. I've been struggling with it since then. I'm too old and have too many programs so I don't want to consider a clean install.

    That was 2+ years ago. There were, and still are, known problems (I can't list them all), installing W10 on top of Win 7. That migration path caused lots of problems for lots of people (again, far too many to try to list).

    Booting into Safe Mode without getting the issue says something that is starting up is messed up. Don't mean to sound glib about it, but that's it. You've got something starting/running that is just not right. Yes, you could disable everything, then go thru each and every entry enabling one at a time, and re-boot to see where it fails. It could be one, or a combination, or conflicting apps. It would be, at best, a hit-and-miss trial-and-error process. Miss one step and you have to start all over again.

    I realize what you do not want to do, but you've been at this now for 2 days. Honestly, you could spend another 2 weeks with this approach, and be no better off.

    2+ years of fighting with a Win10 over Win 7 install just is not worth it.

    Bite the bullet. Clean install. Get it over with. I don't recommend clean installs as a fix-all for every post on TF, but in your case it seems prudent.

    The choice, of course, is yours.

    TC
    Thank you all for the help and direction. I am earning something - so there is a real plus side for me. I want to try autoruns next. Can someone please recommend a site with the best instructions on how to use autoruns efficiently? If this doesn't work, I'll consider a clean install. Thank you again (I hope all of you get this message!!!).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 31,071
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       26 Jul 2017 #19

    Nisko said: View Post
    Thank you all for the help and direction. I am earning something - so there is a real plus side for me. I want to try autoruns next. Can someone please recommend a site with the best instructions on how to use autoruns efficiently? If this doesn't work, I'll consider a clean install. Thank you again (I hope all of you get this message!!!).
    This is the official link. There is an overview and some usage there also. And related links.

    Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,308
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       27 Jul 2017 #20

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    This is the official link. There is an overview and some usage there also. And related links.

    Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
    That's the same link I gave in post 16.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi, I'm sorry I was using a Chinese version of windows 10 at work, so could not find much information about what I need. My personal microsoft account somehow got linked to the windows 10 administrator account. If I create another administrator...
Solved Types of Administrator Accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety
Carbonite considers Local Admin. Acct. a "Users" account. It is configured needing me to be the Administrator. Is this the "Hidden" Administrator Account? Just re-set PC to factory settings, skipped registration etc. I named PC is about it and I...
My wife has upgraded to Windows 10 and was using her login details with no problem. When she needed to install a HP Printer Driver, a Microsoft Account was asked for. She couldn't remember her details so we used mine. Now there is an...
Solved User and Administrator accounts help... in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hello... Just joined the forum to get some help on windows 10 user accounts... OK... Here I go, See if I can relay what I'm fighting... I upgraded to windows 10 made one account because this is my home personal computer... I don't need a...
So I originally started with a local account but then signed into the store with a MS account. I changed the setting where users are required to enter a password through netplwiz (like this) and making a password not required after waking from...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:01.
Find Us