Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    24 Jul 2017 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2016
    Posts : 32
    windows 10

    document search


    I looked for previous posts on this subject, but they're old. I tried the suggestions in those posts, however, but they didn't help.

    Sometimes the search box in windows explorer will find a document containing a word. Sometimes it won't, even when I know the document I'm looking for is somewhere in my documents file. The one thing it will not do is find a string of text. I know, from memory, that at one time, on my older computers, I could find any file at any time in an instant, just by typing in a string of text. This was invaluable to me. I might not remember the name of the document, but I could usually remember a few words that were in the document. I considered this an extremely valuable feature of windows. There was never a time when I couldn't call up a document based on a few words of text. Emphasis on "was never."

    I can't do it any more. The file search does not work. How can I find a document by typing in a string of a few words?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    24 Jul 2017 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,079
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Hi, these two screenshot demonstrate this working on my anniversary edition on an indexed folder on drive H:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	145377

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	145378

    Please confirm
    1. the folder in question is definitely indexed and the files therein indexed for content.
    2. you have the appropriate ifilter(s) for the document type(s) in question.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	145380
    ((Example e.g. txt)

    Which is your build?
    (Windows key + R, winver).
    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    24 Jul 2017 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    UK
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)

    I find the same (current Creators). Sometime it will find a string inside a word or pdf file, sometimes not. Sometimes it finds a file which does not include the string. My Indexing Options states "Indexing complete", and "Index these locaions" includes my document library (and other places). All the files types in Advanced > File Types are listed, including .docx and .pdf.

    I investigated this before but none of the advice helped. Windows Ten's search clearly is unreliable. I never use it.

    Is there other software that will actually do searches reliably?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Jul 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 881
    Windows 10 Home

    Ticking this option may help within docs ? Contents excluded by default.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	145429
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Jul 2017 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 369
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
    Sometimes the search box in windows explorer will find a document containing a word. Sometimes it won't, even when I know the document I'm looking for is somewhere in my documents file.
    What exactly do you mean by "won't"? Does File Explorer explicitly tell you that there's no such document? Or does File Explorer keep searching, searching and searching for a very long time?

    Note also that the search behavior is context-sensitive - it depends on what is selected in File Explorer tree. If you select a drive or a "regular" folder, it will simply search for file names. But if you select your designated "Documents" folder, it will search for text inside your documents.

    Because of this it might be a better idea to use Win+S search instead of File Explorer search. Win+S seems to always look for your search term inside indexed documents.
    Last edited by AndreyT; 24 Jul 2017 at 18:40.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    25 Jul 2017 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,079
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevekir View Post
    I find the same (current Creators). Sometime it will find a string inside a word or pdf file, sometimes not. Sometimes it finds a file which does not include the string. My Indexing Options states "Indexing complete", and "Index these locaions" includes my document library (and other places). All the files types in Advanced > File Types are listed, including .docx and .pdf.

    I investigated this before but none of the advice helped. Windows Ten's search clearly is unreliable. I never use it.

    Is there other software that will actually do searches reliably?
    Are you sure all the text in the pdf's in question is actually text, not image?
    And do you have a pdf ifilter? It's not enough simply to see pdf listed, there must also be an ifilter present.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	145457
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	145458
    Installing an iflter requires rebuilding the index for it to be effective.

    Note that changing your pdf viewer can remove the ifilter.

    And you must have file explorer open at a point in the file tree higher than what you want to search for.

    Note: Google Desktop search (obsolete,free) is still available, then there's Copernic Desktop Search and X1 (commercial).

    GDS also had an Omnipage plugin that dealt with OCR for image based documents very well.
    Last edited by dalchina; 25 Jul 2017 at 01:46.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    25 Jul 2017 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    UK
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "won't"? Does File Explorer explicitly tell you that there's no such document? Or does File Explorer keep searching, searching and searching for a very long time?

    Note also that the search behavior is context-sensitive - it depends on what is selected in File Explorer tree. If you select a drive or a "regular" folder, it will simply search for file names. But if you select your designated "Documents" folder, it will search for text inside your documents.

    Because of this it might be a better idea to use Win+S search instead of File Explorer search. Win+S seems to always look for your search term inside indexed documents.
    I mean I get "no item matches your search" after it completes a long search in, eg., Documents.

    I tried Win + S and so far it is 100% effective in finding items, including one 4 folder levels down, and one inside an Excell spreadsheet. It is lightning fast. Thanks for that. However, it does not offer the Pictures folder to search in. Curiously, it does offer the app "Photos" and it is also effective there, including images in my Pictures folder. I will use Win+S in future.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Jul 2017 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    UK
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Are you sure all the text in the pdf's in question is actually text, not image?
    And do you have a pdf ifilter? It's not enough simply to see pdf listed, there must also be an ifilter present.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	145457
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	145458
    Installing an iflter requires rebuilding the index for it to be effective.

    Note that changing your pdf viewer can remove the ifilter.

    And you must have file explorer open at a point in the file tree higher than what you want to search for.

    Note: Google Desktop search (obsolete,free) is still available, then there's Copernic Desktop Search and X1 (commercial).

    GDS also had an Omnipage plugin that dealt with OCR for image based documents very well.
    PDF is listed in the list you show in your post, but not iPDF. However, I seem to be getting better searches, as mentioned in my reply at #7. What is iPDF please? Where can I get it and where do I put it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    26 Jul 2017 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,079
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	145634

    I don't know what
    ipdf
    is - where did you see this?

    From my post:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	145636
    =>

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	145635
    2nd result is the Adobe pdf ifilter
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    26 Jul 2017 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,758
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevekir View Post
    PDF is listed in the list you show in your post, but not iPDF. However, I seem to be getting better searches, as mentioned in my reply at #7. What is iPDF please? Where can I get it and where do I put it?
    I too rely on searching for text snippets within pdf documents. Before Windows 8 you needed to install an extension (called an iFilter) to do this - I used the Adobe and then (at the time faster) Foxit filters to search for text strings in pdf.

    In Windows 8 or 10 there is no need for these old programs any more - just make sure the "Index Properties and File Contents" is selected and use the default Reader Search Handler.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	145660

    It works perfectly well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more
Windows search is not able to search the content of pdf files when searching more than 4 digit number. I have pdf files in a folder when I try to search a content eg 7349, it shows the files which are having this number but if I increase the digits...
General Support
Solved can not open word document
I just upgraded office 2007 to office 2016. On all of my fils that I made with my older version can be opened with 2016. But if I create a new document with Word 2016 and save it, when I try to open it a message pops up telling me that this is valid...
Software and Apps
Solved Scanning a document
G'day, Could somebody tell me how to turn a scanned document into a word document. I want to altar some of the words & add other sentences. Or please direct me to a sight that will tell me how to do it with Window 10. Cheers Perry
General Support
Solved How to show recent document
Hello How could I see the recent created document Martin
General Support
Solved Document Link and OneDrive
The documents link in my Start Menu points to OneDrive, as of this moment I have found no way to make it point to my documents. Any idea's? Thanks alan
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums