Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    06 Jul 2017 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Pell City, Alabama 35125
    Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

    Computer Ventilation and Desk


    On Saturday, I am getting an Antique Roll Top Desk for my Computer Room. I will be taking the old desk and will be putting it in my room, since I need more desk space.

    As you all know, a Roll Top Desk has a top that opens and closes. If I put my tower and monitor on this desk, and close the top, will it cause ventilation issues for the computer? I will only be closing the top when the computer is turned off.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    P.S. I know this question is a little odd to ask.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    06 Jul 2017 #2
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Los Angeles
    Posts : 1,043
    Windows 10 Pro

    The only time you need to worry about good ventilation is when the computer is turned on. If it is off, it will not overheat because, it's not on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Jul 2017 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,457
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Williams View Post
    On Saturday, I am getting an Antique Roll Top Desk for my Computer Room. I will be taking the old desk and will be putting it in my room, since I need more desk space.

    As you all know, a Roll Top Desk has a top that opens and closes. If I put my tower and monitor on this desk, and close the top, will it cause ventilation issues for the computer? I will only be closing the top when the computer is turned off.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    P.S. I know this question is a little odd to ask.
    Yes, it probably will (when it's on even at idle) if you are talking about a desktop computer. Laptops on the other hand produce less heat but are also more susceptible to heat.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    07 Jul 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Los Angeles
    Posts : 1,043
    Windows 10 Pro

    Yes, it probably will (when it's on even at idle)
    we are not talking about Idle, we are talking about being powered on, or being powered off. Not sleep, hibernate or idle. So, if the desktop computer is powered off, not idle, it will not need ventilation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    07 Jul 2017 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,457
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by spunk View Post
    we are not talking about Idle, we are talking about being powered on, or being powered off. Not sleep, hibernate or idle. So, if the desktop computer is powered off, not idle, it will not need ventilation.
    Well duh, I thought it would be pretty logical that he's not asking about it's state when not running but only when left running a program and using some resources and so produces heat. It's not a live thing to need fresh air to breathe.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    07 Jul 2017 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Pell City, Alabama 35125
    Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Guys, I was just asking if it needed ventilation when I shut it down and close the top. I just didn't know how this worked. It's a Desktop.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    07 Jul 2017 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 68
    Windows 7

    Computer Ventilation and Desk


    My rolltop is unhappy with desktop anywhere but, beneath the center drawer, in the kneewell. Even when idle power off, heat is still generated.

    Stick it on a power strip and kill all when leaving it.

    The monitor shouldn't be an issue, there is some breathing room in the canvas backer of oak slats (tambour) at least if it truly is old oak roll top.

    Since not all roll tops are created equal, suggest checking it after 8 hours for heat build-up or just stick a thermometer in it.
    Last edited by Frozenoem1; 07 Jul 2017 at 19:54.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    07 Jul 2017 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Pell City, Alabama 35125
    Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter

      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    08 Jul 2017 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Pell City, Alabama 35125
    Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    That's it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    08 Jul 2017 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Pell City, Alabama 35125
    Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenoem1 View Post
    My rolltop is unhappy with desktop anywhere but, beneath the center drawer, in the kneewell. Even when idle power off, heat is still generated.

    Stick it on a power strip and kill all when leaving it.

    The monitor shouldn't be an issue, there is some breathing room in the canvas backer of oak slats (tambour) at least if it truly is old oak roll top.

    Since not all roll tops are created equal, suggest checking it after 8 hours for heat build-up or just stick a thermometer in it.
    I didn't understand what you were saying? Can you verify what you are saying when you mentioned the power strip and how your Roll Top doesn't agree with your desktop.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 locked computer due to help desk
Two weeks ago Windows 10 downloaded onto my desktop without me asking. It could not be stopped. I went along with it and it appeared to work for a week. Next time I turned to computer on the home screen appeared after some time but there was no...
General Support
Show us your desk!
I don't know if this is a thing, but here goes. 39398
Chillout Room
Solved Wi Fi Missing on Desk Top
I have a netgear combination router/modem. It has worked fine. I have now upgraded to Windows 10. I use Ethernet to connect my two desktop computers. My problem is I do not have wi fi on my desk tops. I want to use wireless printers but cannot...
Network and Sharing
What every good computer desk needs
Its on my Christmas list ,,not http://www.banggood.com/Mini-USB-Fridge-Freezer-Refrigerator-Beverage-Drink-Cans-Warmer-Cooler-p-921532.html
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums