Windows 10: Use chrome/google as default for search results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 25,672
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       24 Jul 2015 #21

    MS had a Bing vs Google page going about 2 years ago where one could compare the results. The results were near identical.

    Then there's Bing points where MS shares at least some of the wealth we make them. Google? Nada.

    This....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (19).png 
Views:	8 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	25681

    vs this.....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (20).png 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	25682

    Hmm....Seems to me Bing offers a whole lot more.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    24 Jul 2015 #22

    So your saying Bing has a whole lot more because it has a nice photo on it? The two are fairly comparable in terms of what services they offer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       24 Jul 2015 #23

    Web search is web search - it's a matter of preference on how the results are presented.

    I found Bing and Google results nearly identical, but Google's presentation is more the way I think (or it's just habit and familiarity)

    Search algorithms have improved greatly over the past 20 years, back then different search engines jockeyed for first place (best results, fastest, etc). As with so many things with computers, Search is just a commodity now.

    As far as what apps MS includes in it's OS, PaulSalter said it best:
    paulsalter said: View Post
    The Taskbar search will always be Bing, its part of Cortana its not a generic web search

    Similar to 'OK Google' on Android this is tied to google search and cannot be changed
    I'm just glad that Windows Search is still there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 265
    Windows 10 preview ########
       24 Jul 2015 #24

    i'm not trying to be offensive, but this is a little ridiculous. i really don't understand this thread. cortana is a m$ product, which has bing, another m$ product built into it. where is the confusion in this? google has many products as well, with other google products built into them. what you are saying is like going to burger king to order a whopper, and then telling them that you prefer mcdonald's fries, or just expecting to get them. seems to me that this should have been clear from the start.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Jul 2015 #25

    STEVAE said: View Post
    i'm not trying to be offensive, but this is a little ridiculous. i really don't understand this thread. cortana is a m$ product, which has bing, another m$ product built into it. where is the confusion in this? google has many products as well, with other google products built into them. what you are saying is like going to burger king to order a whopper, and then telling them that you prefer mcdonald's fries, or just expecting to get them. seems to me that this should have been clear from the start.

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       24 Jul 2015 #26

    STEVAE said: View Post
    i'm not trying to be offensive, but this is a little ridiculous. i really don't understand this thread. cortana is a m$ product, which has bing, another m$ product built into it. where is the confusion in this? google has many products as well, with other google products built into them. what you are saying is like going to burger king to order a whopper, and then telling them that you prefer mcdonald's fries, or just expecting to get them. seems to me that this should have been clear from the start.
    Perhaps a different analogy would be purchasing a Ford automobile with a Ford radio in it and only getting one station - radio Ford. Or not being able to choose the brand of tires.

    It is what it is and probably won't change anytime soon, if ever.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    24 Jul 2015 #27

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Perhaps a different analogy would be purchasing a Ford automobile with a Ford radio in it and only getting one station - radio Ford. Or not being able to choose the brand of tires.

    It is what it is and probably won't change anytime soon, if ever.
    I think these analogy are not correct because with cars
    you can change the radio to your own brand or the tires to your preferred brand since these are standard parts.

    If someone can find a hack later on, hopefully this thread would get updated.

    My understanding with cortana is it has to do with the voice assistant.
    It should not have anything to do with doing a web search.

    Taskbar websearch, you should be allowed to change to your own search provider.

    What they are doing now is similiar to what they did with the anti trust issue that they got sued on.

    United States v. Microsoft Corp. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

    Even though they are not a monopoly on search, they are using their OS to try to regain some market share in search
    by forcing us to use only their Bing engine in the taskbar search
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 25,672
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       24 Jul 2015 #28

    swarfega said: View Post
    So your saying Bing has a whole lot more because it has a nice photo on it? The two are fairly comparable in terms of what services they offer.
    I just spent 15 minutes in Edge note mode answering this and lost the page. Not doing it again. I suggest you study my Bing page above again and open one to fiddle with it. Lots more than just a blank white page.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 25,672
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       24 Jul 2015 #29

    George said: View Post
    STEVAE said: View Post
    i'm not trying to be offensive, but this is a little ridiculous. i really don't understand this thread. cortana is a m$ product, which has bing, another m$ product built into it. where is the confusion in this? google has many products as well, with other google products built into them. what you are saying is like going to burger king to order a whopper, and then telling them that you prefer mcdonald's fries, or just expecting to get them. seems to me that this should have been clear from the start.
    Double that
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 8,345
    Windows 10 Professional
       24 Jul 2015 #30

    Make Google your default search provider then use the old 'Address' Toolbar.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000002.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	330.1 KB 
ID:	25746
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
I am also asking this question on the Google Product Forums. Basically, the Google Drive folder is synced onto my data partition. Files are present on my HDD, the whole folder is indexed, but nothing inside it comes up in my Windows search...
Make Google Default Search in IE?? in Browsers and Email
I've been trying to figure out how to add google search to IE and make it my default search engine. When I go to the add on gallery here: http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/addons?callback=true&featuretype=2 and click google, then add to IE,...
Hi guys, I've just installed build 10041 on my Surface Pro 3 i7/256 and there seem to be some issues with Google Chrome. I've uninstalled the browser and re-installed, but to no avail... - There is no touch support at all, I have to use the...
Anyone upgrading to the new Chrome stable build 42.0.2311.90 and would like to revert back to the standard Bookmark Manager, here is how.... Type about:flags in search bar, press enter. Disable flag: Enable Enhanced BookmarksMac, Windows,...
Does anybody have a solution to this problem. When I open a couple of new tabs in Google Chrome ,Firefox or Internet Explorer it freezes my computer completely. It started with the latest Windows 10 update. 1. In Event Viewer - System I have this...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25.
Find Us