Windows 10: Build 10240 - Any expiry on ACTIVATED versions??

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1.    23 Jul 2015 #61

    otisdog said: View Post
    I had no idea this was a bad thing and then after it was removed I realized it must not be kosher. Oh well. I wonder what the outcome will be? I like to stay on the up-and-up. I'm not too worried about it because I'm liking the latest build so much that I probably will upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10 not long after it's available and would have no need to stay on the insider program. Certainly will upgrade the 8.1 on my wife's laptop asap. She was playing around with the Edge browser and was amazed at how fast it is.
    Jim
    That install won't qualify for the free upgrade on the 29th, as it was a clean install. Also activation will time out on the date shown. Technically you can use it until then though. Word is if you do an upgrade install of 10240 from a genuine Windows 7 install it will activate. I haven't done it myself since they temporarily closed down the Insiders program. My current install was an upgrade from Windows 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       23 Jul 2015 #62

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Microsoft could issue one patch/update and give you your expiry date. If it isn't already coded in. One easy way to do it is to blacklist all the insider 10240 keys from activation. Some people just see what they want to see.
    I do have another theory why Rocky remain activated even though he left the insider program. His device is most likely listed here

    https://account.microsoft.com/devices

    That keeps track of what he is entitled to. I have left the insider program. It still have shows Windows 10 Core (10.0.10240.16394). The reason I left, I am going to do some different when 10 is released. I rather upgrade via windows update or an iso when it is released. I might even delete that device after I do one further test with windows 10 10240
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 605
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       23 Jul 2015 #63

    Less than a week, people! It seems like folks are going through all kinds of crazy contortions and mind-numbing theorizing and guesswork, just to game the system. Look, if you have a qualifying system, you'll get Windows 10 by and by. If you don't have a qualifying system, you'll have to buy it.

    It will roll out to Insiders first. If your Insider Preview installation is an upgrade from a qualifying system, just wait until the 29th. I'm sure there will be something put out by MS to tell us what to do if we want to settle into 'final' status.

    I've been an Insider since last October, and I'm not going to blow it now by imagining that I understand the licensing/keying/activation system and getting all hasty.

    Just 6 more days!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    23 Jul 2015 #64

    sgage said: View Post
    Less than a week, people! It seems like folks are going through all kinds of crazy contortions and mind-numbing theorizing and guesswork, just to game the system. Look, if you have a qualifying system, you'll get Windows 10 by and by. If you don't have a qualifying system, you'll have to buy it.

    It will roll out to Insiders first. If your Insider Preview installation is an upgrade from a qualifying system, just wait until the 29th. I'm sure there will be something put out by MS to tell us what to do if we want to settle into 'final' status.

    I've been an Insider since last October, and I'm not going to blow it now by imagining that I understand the licensing/keying/activation system and getting all hasty.

    Just 6 more days!
    Very well put.. keep calm and carry on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    23 Jul 2015 #65

    groze said: View Post
    I do have another theory why Rocky remain activated even though he left the insider program. His device is most likely listed here

    https://account.microsoft.com/devices

    That keeps track of what he is entitled to. I have left the insider program. It still have shows Windows 10 Core (10.0.10240.16394). The reason I left, I am going to do some different when 10 is released. I rather upgrade via windows update or an iso when it is released. I might even delete that device after I do one further test with windows 10 10240
    I had PC's listed there that were running the very early builds? I doubt I could have opted out on those and stayed activated past the expiry date? Is what's shown on that screen actually tied to activation status?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       23 Jul 2015 #66

    sgage said: View Post
    Less than a week, people! It seems like folks are going through all kinds of crazy contortions and mind-numbing theorizing and guesswork, just to game the system. Look, if you have a qualifying system, you'll get Windows 10 by and by. If you don't have a qualifying system, you'll have to buy it.

    First, I am not gaming the system. People are just curious what happens if left the insider program using build 10240. That build totally operates differently then any another build. Keep in mind the press is still saying 10240 is technically a rtm build but it is a build that can be put on OEM machines.


    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I had PC's listed there that were running the very early builds? I doubt I could have opted out on those and stayed activated past the expiry date? Is what's shown on that screen actually tied to activation status?
    Don't know it is just a theory. I am going to test a clean install and see if it activates or if I can even use the key. I am going to try to today if possible and report back.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    23 Jul 2015 #67

    groze said: View Post
    First, I am not gaming the system. People are just curious what happens if left the insider program using build 10240. That build totally operates differently then any another build. Keep in mind the press is still saying 10240 is technically a rtm build but it is a build that can be put on OEM machines.


    Don't know it just a theory. I am going to test a clean install and see if it activate or if I can even use the key. I am going to try to today if possible and report back.
    With the 29th just around the corner(6 days) why test anything.. just get the upgrade on the 29th.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       23 Jul 2015 #68

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    With the 29th just around the corner(6 days) why test anything.. just get the upgrade on the 29th.
    Because who knows when you will get the windows 10 upgrade, it could be on the 29th or it could be much later. I got to thinking it would actually be better to roll back if you are quitting the insider program but that just my opinion.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    23 Jul 2015 #69

    the way things are shaping up, it will be a re run of what OSX from apple is doing, if you are on public beta, you are there till the end of the OS cycle, another words if you are on wins 10 you are there forever.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       23 Jul 2015 #70

    ramram55 said: View Post
    the way things are shaping up, it will be a re run of what OSX from apple is doing, if you are on public beta, you are there till the end of the OS cycle, another words if you are on wins 10 you are there forever.
    I don't know where you got that info. From the way I understand it is a perpetual beta with different branch & ring releases.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Hi there anybody know when build 10240 expires --there's no expiry date when you run WINVER unlike previous builds --also BTW Office 2016 trial activates over the internet and expires on 15 Nov 2015. You don't need to re-install it any more. ...
When backward and made a clean install of the 10166 release directly in the bootup sequence (Legacy: no BIOS setup). Took less then 15 minutes and got no error to report. Made the settings off-line: Internet disconnect. Set default apps with...
is there an extensive or definitive list about what versions of windows 7/8/8.1 get what version of windows 10 w/ the reservations? as im planning on rolling back from Windows 8.1 to 7 then going to upgrade from there if its going to make Jack...
When I installed build 10310 it did not ask for the activation code but when I checked in Control Panel it said it was already activated, so do I still need to enter the Activation Code 6P99N-YF42M-TPGBG-9VMJP-YKHCF ? It seems strange that the...
Hi there I'm surprised there's been NO comments on this yet (at least none that I've seen). If you run WINVER on build 9926 it shows the panel with an expiry date of OCT 1 2015 -- good reason for people to upgrade if they haven't done so...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:28.
Find Us