Windows 10: Accidentally copied / moved some files: find out folders, files?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 76
    Windows 10 Home, 64bit
       04 Jun 2017 #1

    Accidentally copied / moved some files: find out folders, files?


    I have (obviously with a shortcut or so) accidentally copied / moved some files I do not know from a folder I do not know to a folder I do not know.

    Is there a way to find out these folders / files? Is there a log or such?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,174
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       04 Jun 2017 #2

    Enter said: View Post
    I have (obviously with a shortcut or so) accidentally copied / moved some files I do not know from a folder I do not know to a folder I do not know.

    Is there a way to find out these folders / files? Is there a log or such?
    Ok....

    What makes you think you have done something wrong, or incorrect? What triggered this question?

    We have to start somewhere......
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.   My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 21,207
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       04 Jun 2017 #4

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Ok....

    What makes you think you have done something wrong, or incorrect? What triggered this question?

    We have to start somewhere......
    I'm guessing an accidental drag & drop.
    I have done that sooooo many times

    It can happen when using one of those damn touchpads, or even, if like me, you have spastic, twitchy fingers, with the mouse.
    This is why I asked Shawn in a message, if there was a way to make the drag & drop less sensitive. And our elite alien, created a tutorial and registry file: Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

    As to finding what was moved, first a question:
    Do you have a system image you can re-image to?

    If not, then you might just have to look at each folder on your system, and see what might not belong where.
    If you have a slight idea, then use windows search, but..... otherwise?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,174
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       04 Jun 2017 #5

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I'm guessing an accidental drag & drop.
    I have done that sooooo many times

    It can happen when using one of those damn touchpads, or even, if like me, you have spastic, twitchy fingers, with the mouse.
    This is why I asked Shawn in a message, if there was a way to make the drag & drop less sensitive. And our elite alien, created a tutorial and registry file: Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

    As to finding what was moved, first a question:
    Do you have a system image you can re-image to?

    If not, then you might just have to look at each folder on your system, and see what might not belong where.
    If you have a slight idea, then use windows search, but..... otherwise?
    I like that one. Even with the Activity app, mish-mashing a folder's content into another's only tells you what you may have done. Not the details.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    04 Jun 2017 #6

    System Restore?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,174
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       04 Jun 2017 #7

    simrick said: View Post
    System Restore?
    If it's turned on. Still, system restore isn't likely to undo a copied folder, I don't think.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    04 Jun 2017 #8

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    If it's turned on. Still, system restore isn't likely to undo a copied folder, I don't think.
    I don't know. Just a thought. But it seems to me that it puts everything back the way it was - including files and their versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,174
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       04 Jun 2017 #9

    @Enter Do you have any response to any of these posts? Any questions? More Info?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. Wiley Coyote's Avatar
    Posts : 848
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.285)
       04 Jun 2017 #10

    Alright, think of me as you will for this, but I had a similar incident following one of the major updates. Looking around after the update with File Explorer I found all 1,100+ photos out of my Pictures Folder were gone! Initial panic followed by "OK, they're backed up, no problem". Looking further to see what else was gone, I found all the photos in my Downloads Folder!

    This still haunts me and has more than contributed a little to my paranoia. I've just accepted that things go bump in the night.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Files saved to SSD, need moved to HDD in Drivers and Hardware
Simple question, really. New build. Here's the issue, there's the boot drive, C, just an SSD. And the actually hard drive I was supposed to use for everything, E. Well without realizing it, everything was getting saved to C. Which is a whopping...
I'm moving backed up files to a new hard drive/Windows install and the filenames are: filename (2016_08_22 05_14_11 UTC).extension Why is this happening?
I accidentally dragged and dropped the "program files (x86)" folder while trying to open it into another folder which caused the folder to become corrupt. It was placed in the WindowsApps folder below. 96675 When I try to open the program...
i read alot about this, yes i did index everything. idk wat else to try, please help. iv been using windows 8 for a few years, search also sucked, so i eventually started using explorer to search for my files. not practical at all, i was hoping win...
Moved files gone missing in General Support
I got a new laptop today which came with Windows 10 which I've never used before, so everything's still very new to me. I've been trying to move files off my previous laptop which runs Windows 7. I've spent a few hours collecting everything I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:39.
Find Us