Windows 10: Contacts Folder

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1.    05 Jun 2017 #31

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    I think it needs to be run in a Command prompt, not Powershell.
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 32,457
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jun 2017 #32

    kitpzyxmsir said: View Post
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Good. Thanks for running it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    05 Jun 2017 #33

    Sorry, I misread that. It should be

    Code:
    regsvr32 /i "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\wab32.dll"
    And if you have a 64 bit version of windows also do (make sure you use the version in syswow64 folder):

    Code:
    C:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 /i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\wab32.dll"
    Ironically, the 32 bit version of regsvr32 is in the SysWOW64 folder. The 64 bit version of regsvr32 is in System32 (on 64 bit systems)

    If those also generate the "valid DLL or OCX" message, then the DLL's may not be self-registering. You may need to get someone to export their registry settings for you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    06 Jun 2017 #34

    Mystere said: View Post
    Sorry, I misread that. It should be

    Code:
    regsvr32 / "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\wab32.dll"
    And if you have a 64 bit version of windows also do (make sure you use the version in syswow64 folder):

    Code:
    C:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 /i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\wab32.dll"
    Ironically, the 32 bit version of regsvr32 is in the SysWOW64 folder. The 64 bit version of regsvr32 is in System32 (on 64 bit systems)

    If those also generate the "valid DLL or OCX" message, then the DLL's may not be self-registering. You may need to get someone to export their registry settings for you.
    Hi Mystere;1043516,

    Thanks for all you guys hangin' in there with me.

    "valid DLL or OCX" still there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    06 Jun 2017 #35

    Yeah, I gave it a try myself, and had the same results.

    You're going to be stuck getting someone to export those registry settings, or else doing a Windows Reset to try and reinstall it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 32,457
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       07 Jun 2017 #36

    kitpzyxmsir said: View Post
    Hi Mystere;1043516,

    Thanks for all you guys hangin' in there with me.

    "valid DLL or OCX" still there.
    Mystere said: View Post
    Yeah, I gave it a try myself, and had the same results.

    You're going to be stuck getting someone to export those registry settings, or else doing a Windows Reset to try and reinstall it.
    Which reg settings are you referring to? Is it something I might have? Be happy to if I knew what they were. TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    07 Jun 2017 #37

    I keep several Macrium backups, each one representing a sequential stage of custom development after a fresh install.

    Yesterday, I restored the first in the series, and the Contacts folder was back.

    Installed the latest windows updates...no negative effects.

    In hindsight, I should have done it sooner, but was hoping for a solution that would save me from the excruciatingly tedious task of having to build the OS again from an immature stage. I mean, isn't that why I made those backups in the first place, so I could finally to avoid that? I just wish I had caught it sooner.

    Ironically, in the final analysis, I probably wasted more of your time and mine than it would have taken going straight to the possible explanation from the beginning.

    I will bring it back up to speed, carefully monitoring my steps along the way. I keep a comprehensive checklist that I follow in the procedure, so hopefully I will discover what caused it. If so, I will let you know in case you're still interested.

    Sincere, thanks for everything. I did learn some good things along the way
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 32,457
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       07 Jun 2017 #38

    kitpzyxmsir said: View Post
    I keep several Macrium backups, each one representing a sequential stage of custom development after a fresh install.

    Yesterday, I restored the first in the series, and the Contacts folder was back.

    Installed the latest windows updates...no negative effects.

    In hindsight, I should have done it sooner, but was hoping for a solution that would save me from the excruciatingly tedious task of having to build the OS again from an immature stage. I mean, isn't that why I made those backups in the first place, so I could finally to avoid that? I just wish I had caught it sooner.

    Ironically, in the final analysis, I probably wasted more of your time and mine than it would have taken going straight to the possible explanation from the beginning.

    I will bring it back up to speed, carefully monitoring my steps along the way. I keep a comprehensive checklist that I follow in the procedure, so hopefully I will discover what caused it. If so, I will let you know in case you're still interested.

    Sincere, thanks for everything. I did learn some good things along the way
    I'm glad to hear you have a solution, unfortunately with some pain. Please do let us know what you find. It may help others if they hit that issue.

    Take care. TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    08 Jun 2017 #39

    I found the solution.

    I was methodically rebuilding the OS, checking to verify along the way that my Contacts folder was still "Intact".

    I started to implement some Winaero tweaks.

    It was the "DISABLE AUTOMATIC FOLDER TYPE DISCOVERY" tweak in Winaero that broke the Contacts folder. Furthermore, unchecking the tweak did "not" undo the damage. I had to do a system restore to reverse it.

    Thanks for all the help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

    Related Threads
    Solved Outlook People Not in Contacts Folder in Microsoft Office and 365
    I exported Windows Live Contacts from Windows 7 computer and imported them into Outlook 2016 on Windows 10. The contacts appear in Outlook People and in Address Book. The Contacts folder in C: >Users>Username>Contacts is empty. I am the only...
    I imported my csv contacts file into Outlook 365. The contacts are in People, but the Contacts folder under my User is empty. Should they be there too? cb
    'Been using Windows Live Mail for nearly 2 years. Last week the Contacts list disappeared - the window appears to be 'greyed out'. Where do I find if my contacts list is recoverable? Hmmm. Local time should read 13.54! Must fix GMT setting.
    I am using Windows Live mail (11) on a Windows 10 platform. Recently I noticed that my Contacts folder is missing. I can view the contacts when composing mail but I do not have a folder of them.
    Windows 10 running Outlook 2016. When I did a fresh install I set up 3 email address and added my .csv files of contacts and calendar form prior install. I did not pay attention and Outlook 2016 assigned them to an email address I now wish to get...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47.
    Find Us