need to recover from odd desktop screen


  1. Posts : 16
    Win 10
       #1

    need to recover from odd desktop screen


    A friends PC has this odd desktop screen when starting up. I suspect that he has altered something by accident but cannot see what he has done. Can anyone suggest a cure.

    Thanks

    bobkat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails need to recover from odd desktop screen-img_1481.jpg  
      My Computer

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,635
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #2

    bobkat said:
    A friends PC has this odd desktop screen when starting up. I suspect that he has altered something by accident but cannot see what he has done. Can anyone suggest a cure.

    Thanks

    bobkat
    @bobkat

    Quite likely your friend has it in Tablet Mode. Check this setting in the Action Menu, bottom right of taskbar. If highligted, it is on, click to turn it off.

    need to recover from odd desktop screen-2017-05-30_17h23_38.png
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 16
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thanks for that info. He is 94 and not too well at the moment and tends to press buttons to try them out.

    I have never noticed that option on my own PC but on your instruction found it this morning.

    I shall call on him and try it out.

    Again, thanks.
    Bobkat
      My Computer

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,635
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #4

    bobkat said:
    Thanks for that info. He is 94 and not too well at the moment and tends to press buttons to try them out.

    I have never noticed that option on my own PC but on your instruction found it this morning.

    I shall call on him and try it out.

    Again, thanks.
    Bobkat
    Best wishes to your friend. Hope this straightens things out. TC
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,724
    Windows 10 Home
       #5

    "I shall call on him and try it out. ... Again, thanks. Bobkat"

    You might try installing Teamviewer ( https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/ ) on both his and your computer so you can hook up remotely and fix issues quicker for him. I do this for a few elderly family members, none as old as 94 though, God Bless Him.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 16
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Hi again. Ifirst carried out your suggestion on my own laptop and I was able to switch touch screen on and off. no problem. Today, I went across to my friend fully sure that I was going to cure his screen problem.

    Afraid not. Switching the button for touch screen did nothing on his PC. Any further suggestions would be gratefully received. His monitor is a fairly large LG TV/Montor combined but he doesn't have it set up as a tv. Not sure if it would have any effect anyway.

    I found out today that he is 94 on next Friday. I am only 82.

    bobcat
      My Computer

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,635
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #7

    bobkat said:
    Hi again. Ifirst carried out your suggestion on my own laptop and I was able to switch touch screen on and off. no problem. Today, I went across to my friend fully sure that I was going to cure his screen problem.

    Afraid not. Switching the button for touch screen did nothing on his PC. Any further suggestions would be gratefully received. His monitor is a fairly large LG TV/Montor combined but he doesn't have it set up as a tv. Not sure if it would have any effect anyway.

    I found out today that he is 94 on next Friday. I am only 82.

    bobcat
    Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head, the system thinks it really is a "tablet". You could try uninstalling the device and driver, reboot, and let Windows try to recognize the LG/Monitor again. Sometimes if you mess too much with cables or settings it gets confused real fast.
      My Computers

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,143
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    In Settings > System > Tablet mode the default at sign-in is to 'Use the appropriate mode for my hardware'. You can change this to always use desktop mode.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums