Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 28
    8.1 x64
       18 Jul 2015 #1

    RTM question


    I'm on 8.1 right now and downloaded the RTM build 10240. Can i install this to tinker and still get my free update when released?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       18 Jul 2015 #2

    You would be better off finding an ISO of say build 10166 and clean install it and then update to 10240. I would use a separate Disk if you can.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       18 Jul 2015 #3

    Titan said: View Post
    I'm on 8.1 right now and downloaded the RTM build 10240. Can i install this to tinker and still get my free update when released?
    I was able to upgrade from Win8.1 to build 10240 with the use of an ISO and it remained activated and it's working just fine. When the 29th comes around I suspect that I will get the final.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 28
    8.1 x64
       18 Jul 2015 #4

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I was able to upgrade from Win8.1 to build 10240 with the use of an ISO and it remained activated and it's working just fine. When the 29th comes around I suspect that I will get the final.
    Ok, were you on pro? You did the clean install?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       18 Jul 2015 #5

    Titan said: View Post
    Ok, were you on pro? You did the clean install?
    I went from WIn8.1 Pro to Win10 10240 Pro and the Win8.1 was a clean install and I upgraded it to 10240 via an ISO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 28
    8.1 x64
       18 Jul 2015 #6

    Gary said: View Post
    You would be better off finding an ISO of say build 10166 and clean install it and then update to 10240. I would use a separate Disk if you can.
    Can I ask why you would suggest that please? I'm also installing this on a raid 0 ssd setup in uefi.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 28
    8.1 x64
       18 Jul 2015 #7

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I went from WIn8.1 Pro to Win10 10240 Pro and the Win8.1 was a clean install and I upgraded it to 10240 via an ISO.
    Oh so you didn't lose anything then? H how would I go about doing the same thing?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       18 Jul 2015 #8

    Titan said: View Post
    Can I ask why you would suggest that please? I'm also installing this on a raid 0 ssd setup in uefi.
    You cannot do a clean install on top of Win 8.1. You can do a clean install of Windows 10 build 10166 or whatever build you can get an ISO for and ten upgrade to 10240 which would be as clean as you can get and still keep 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       18 Jul 2015 #9

    Titan said: View Post
    Oh so you didn't lose anything then? H how would I go about doing the same thing?
    Didn't lose a thing.
    What I did was to get the ISO for 10240, put it on a separate HDD where I store my data, extract/unlock the ISO and run the setup while in Win8.1 and it performed the upgrade.

    Check Microsoft News web site for the ISO. I've used them a number of times and they're a good source.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       18 Jul 2015 #10

    Gary said: View Post
    You cannot do a clean install on top of Win 8.1. You can do a clean install of Windows 10 build 10166 or whatever build you can get an ISO for and ten upgrade to 10240 which would be as clean as you can get and still keep 8.1.
    Gary,, you would have to dual boot and I don't think that's what he wants to do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Win 10 question
Okay, I hate Win 8 and absolutely refused to use it. To me Win 10 is hardly much better. First of all I'm not 20 years old anymore and don't give a darn about all these apps of which 98% are pointed toward kids. And where's the desktop with my...
General Support
W10 Reset question
So I upgraded and want to reset it now, after I pick remove everything it gives the option to remove my files or remove files and clean the drive. What does it mean by cleaning the drive and will it **** with my windows being registered at all?
Installation and Setup
Solved Maybe a Dumb Question.
But I will ask it anyway. If I update my Win 7 Pro to Windows 10 now, will I still be able to Dual Boot the upgraded Windows 10 with The TP?
General Support
Solved Quick question..
It seems for some reason that I can't expand the start menu horizontally. Vertical is fine but it's not moving in the horizontal direction past one column. Here's how I set it up: 1 Upgraded Win8.1 to 10240 with an ISO 2 Tried to add/mod the...
General Support
Question about IE 11?
Hi I thought I'd try using IE 11, since it's the first time I've been able to get it to work correctly since Windows 7. But I can't find a way to import my favorites from Chrome, (I know how to do it the other way around). Also it there a...
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:12.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums