Windows 10: Pasting into Shortcuts

  1.    15 May 2017 #1

    Pasting into Shortcuts


    Since a recent win 10 update, I can no longer drag and drop into a desktop shortcut and the 'paste' function no longer shows up in the desktop shortcut drop-down, (right-click) menu?

    Does anyone have a fix for this?

    Thank you
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 May 2017 #2

    Could you post a screenshot of your update history for reference so people understand which build you are using and the update you are referring to? Thanks.
    (Icon to the left of the video icon about your post 'Insert mage').

    Do you mean for example this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	135143

    Here I've left clicked and dragged the right hand file on my desktop to the shortcut to a folder.

    Or do you mean rt click and drag 'n drop - or both?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 May 2017 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Could you post a screenshot of your update history for reference so people understand which build you are using and the update you are referring to? Thanks.
    (Icon to the left of the video icon about your post 'Insert mage').

    Do you mean for example this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	135143

    Here I've left clicked and dragged the right hand file on my desktop to the shortcut to a folder.

    Or do you mean rt click and drag 'n drop - or both?
    I believe it was Windows 10 Creators Update.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Item 1.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	135147

    Cannot drop the MS Word file into the Desktop Shortcut.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    15 May 2017 #4

    See
    Cant drag and drop files in windows 10 Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums
    and see if there's anything there that helps.

    Else:

    Please post a screenshot like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2017-05-15 at 19.48.19.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	135150

    And please post one similar to mine.
    Here is what I did.
    1. left clicked the document, held the mouse down, dragged this to the folder shortcut.
    2. Still holding the mouse button, I used PrtSc to capture the whole desktop.
    (That's on a laptop- you'd need to do the equivalent on your desktop - or take a photo)
    3. Using (e.g.) Paint crop the image
    4. Post the image.

    And please advise what happens with rt click. If you rt click and drag the doct to the shortcut folder, do you see options Copy.. Move.. when you release the mouse button?

    Note: I've not yet seen a similar report.

    Also please try both left and right click drag 'n drop in a file explorer view for comparison (not using the Desktop or the folder expressed as the desktop) using a shortcut to a different folder for test purposes and advise if it works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 May 2017 #5

    dalchina said: View Post
    See
    Cant drag and drop files in windows 10 Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums
    and see if there's anything there that helps.

    Else:

    Please post a screenshot like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2017-05-15 at 19.48.19.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	135150

    And please post one similar to mine.
    Here is what I did.
    1. left clicked the document, held the mouse down, dragged this to the folder shortcut.
    2. Still holding the mouse button, I used PrtSc to capture the whole desktop.
    (That's on a laptop- you'd need to do the equivalent on your desktop - or take a photo)
    3. Using (e.g.) Paint crop the image
    4. Post the image.

    And please advise what happens with rt click. If you rt click and drag the doct to the shortcut folder, do you see options Copy.. Move.. when you release the mouse button?

    Note: I've not yet seen a similar report.

    Also please try both left and right click drag 'n drop in a file explorer view for comparison (not using the Desktop or the folder expressed as the desktop) using a shortcut to a different folder for test purposes and advise if it works.
    This is the last update that would be applicable:
    Attachment 135155

    As for the right click shortcut drop-down menu, as I have mentioned above, there is 'Cut' and 'Copy' but no 'Paste'.

    Any item that normally would be able to be dropped into any short-cut, (no matter what folder it is in), this function no longer works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    15 May 2017 #6

    Hi, as before, first see this

    Cant drag and drop files in windows 10 Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums
    and see if there's anything there that helps.

    Otherwise do these basic checks:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

    and from an admin command prompt run
    sfc /scannow

    - I don't expect that to repair the problem, but it establishes a base line and is worth doing anyway from time to time.

    (My guess at this point would normally be that you'd need to do an in-place upgrade repair install).

    Now I still don't know what your build number is- or if you've upgraded to the CU. Your attachment link doesn't work.

    Here is how to post a screenshot - use Option 1 please.
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Windows 10 Tutorials

    And please post the result of
    Windows key + R, winver

    If you are using the CU, some people have reported conflicts with 3rd party programs that have not been updated.

    Please check if drag 'n drop works in Safe Mode to avoid such programs starting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    22 May 2017 #7

    Desktop Shortcuts


    All has been tried, however, I am still unable to drop a file into a desktop, (or any) shortcut unless I open the shortcut location first.

    Apparently, (since I have always been able to do this even in Win 10), some action, (whether it be an update or program), has altered a, (presumably), Registry entry, (or shortcut property), that now prevents this action.

    Further help would be very much appreciated!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    22 May 2017 #8

    Hi, I don't know your Windows build or update history- your attachment in #5 in invalid.

    (Use the Insert Image icon above your post - to the left of the video icon to post screenshots).

    Do you have the same problem in a new user account (create one for test purposes)?

    If so, then please try an in-place upgrade repair install.

    (Tutorial in the Tutorial Section which you are free to browse and search) - and yes, keeps all programs and most settings).

    However
    if your build number is 14393 (Anniversary Edition) you will need to either
    - use an iso or boot medium you already have
    or
    - be given a special URL to get the AU from.
    or
    - try upgrading to the Creator's edition using the latest ISO
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    22 May 2017 #9

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, I don't know your Windows build or update history- your attachment in #5 in invalid.

    (Use the Insert Image icon above your post - to the left of the video icon to post screenshots).

    Do you have the same problem in a new user account (create one for test purposes)?

    If so, then please try an in-place upgrade repair install.

    (Tutorial in the Tutorial Section which you are free to browse and search) - and yes, keeps all programs and most settings).

    However
    if your build number is 14393 (Anniversary Edition) you will need to either
    - use an iso or boot medium you already have
    or
    - be given a special URL to get the AU from.
    or
    - try upgrading to the Creator's edition using the latest ISO
    Apparently I have Version 1703 Build 15063.296

    I was hoping for a less dramatic fix as I have too much at stake for a repair install.

    I would have thought that someone would have had the same problem if it was due to an update.

    I am still hoping for a simple registry fix or a way to rebuild the shortcut properties.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    22 May 2017 #10

    You could try
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    and use the one for lnk.

    Whether this will help or not I can't say... you might be lucky!


    Otherwise, perhaps you don't understand what an in-place upgrade repair install does.

    It simply replaces Windows- all your programs and data remain untouched.
    So what do you fear losing? Hope you have full backups and disk images...

    And please try this as I said before doing anything:
    Do you have the same problem in a new user account (create one for test purposes)?

    Why? 'Cos if your user account does NOT show this problem, the problem is user account corruption, not Windows per se.

    Naturally, we'd all like a precise targetted fix every time something goes wrong. That just doesn't always happen.However, someone might yet suggest something...or you might do some research and find a fix...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Is there some way in Win10 to have multiple things on the clipboard and be able to, using hotkeys, paste the different things from the clipboard? Can this be done natively? If not, is there some way to do it with something small and portable?
Solved Cutting and pasting in word in Software and Apps
When I cut text in word it is not there when I want to paste it. I can copy and paste but then need to go back and delete the text I've just copied. I've had windows 10 since April and I'm sure I've been able to do it before but I can't today. I've...
I know many Threads are already started for this problem but none of them couldn't help in my case. Windows Explorer doe's not refresh on copying, moving, pasting, name changing and so on ... i tried to reset folder views, made changes in the...
Hello all, I have installed a software which will place 4 shortcuts in Start Menu->Programs-> <Vendor folder>. But i could see only 1 shortcut as metro shortcut. Where as if i open the file location, i could see all the 4 shortcuts in the location....
Folders in question --C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs --C:\Users\Rita\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs Right so, I have been trying to create application shortcuts in the "all apps" of the start menu. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54.
Find Us