Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 20
    Windoes 10 Professional
       #1

    Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.


    Doing this used to show the photo or text piece immediately, but now I have to click 'Open' in the dropdown menu and choose a previously downloaded and installed app. like Snagit, or Irfanview, or Paint.

    I far prefer the simple viewer I had before which was part of the windows 10 pro os.

    How can I reinstall this, please?

    Thank you.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,765
    Windows 10 Home
       #2

    "but now I have to click 'Open' in the dropdown menu and choose a previously downloaded and installed app"

    The new Photos app replaced Photo Viewer in Windows 10. I like it better for the extra features but if you like the old viewer; if you took the free upgrade from 7 or 8.1, it may still be on your device but is hidden. Here's how to re-enable it as default with a reg edit (credit to our forum member Guru, Edwin) - https://www.howtogeek.com/225844/how...on-windows-10/

    Otherwise ...I think you meant 'Open with' which will open and list of progs. Click at the bottom where it says 'Choose another app'. Select one you prefer and tick box at bottom 'Always use this app ***'. You can also go to Action Center/ Settings/ Apps/ Default apps and choose there. You need the above tweak to make Photo Viewer appear on these lists. Good Luck
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 20
    Windoes 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thank you mrgeek, but following the link didn't work, and Sarah Jacobsson's 'How to get Windows Photo Viewer back in Windows 10' didn't work out either. Nowhere does 'Windows Photo Viewer' appear after following these instructions.

    Cheers

    My fault! I didn't unzip the file. I'll see how I go.

    ***

    They're asking me to buy the Win.zip for $29.

    It's not looking hopeful.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,701
    Mac OS Catalina
       #4

    You do not have to pay for Winzip. Download 7-zip from http://7-zip.org/ Just choose either 32 or 64 bit. A good repository for downloading programs is majorgeeks.com Irfanview or XnView are good media programs for photos. If you are looking for trying to see Exif info, Gimp works very well.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 25,101
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    sliced tomatoes said:
    ..Sarah Jacobsson's 'How to get Windows Photo Viewer back in Windows 10' didn't work out either. Nowhere does 'Windows Photo Viewer' appear after following these instructions...
    There's a TenForums tutorial...
    Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

    Double-clicking on a picture (or any other type of file) will open it with the appropriate default app, or bring up the 'choose an app' menu if there isn't one yet. This tutorial tells you how to set default apps.
    Choose Default Apps in Windows 10
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 20
    Windoes 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I've been chasing this for 3 solid hours now without success. Thank you one and all, but I'm retiring from this task. One would think that installing 'Windows Photo Viewer' on my PC would be a doddle taking little more time than boiling an egg, but apparently not so. I'm sure the fault lies with me, and so all I can say is a very sincere "Thank you all for your efforts and your patience in trying to help me with this". My best bet is probably to trot down to the local computer shop and let them do the honours.

    Cheers.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,765
    Windows 10 Home
       #7

    Bree's Ten Forums tutorial link is pretty straight forward. At least give it a try before you spend $$$ on a straight forward issue. - Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,832
    Windows 10
       #8

    sliced tomatoes said:
    I've been chasing this for 3 solid hours now without success. Thank you one and all, but I'm retiring from this task. One would think that installing 'Windows Photo Viewer' on my PC would be a doddle taking little more time than boiling an egg, but apparently not so. I'm sure the fault lies with me, and so all I can say is a very sincere "Thank you all for your efforts and your patience in trying to help me with this". My best bet is probably to trot down to the local computer shop and let them do the honours.

    Cheers.
    1. Run Brinks Reg file:

    Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.-000026.png

    2. Make a few associations in Default Programs:

    Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.-000030.png

    3. Set Windows Photo Viewer as default:

    Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.-000031.png

    Total Time:
    2 min 43 sec!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 7,137
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #9

    I quite like the standard Photo Viewer but I sometimes use ACDSee Free which is good for fitting variable size photos to fill the screen.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 20
    Windoes 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #10

    bro67 said:
    You do not have to pay for Winzip. Download 7-zip from http://7-zip.org/ Just choose either 32 or 64 bit. A good repository for downloading programs is majorgeeks.com Irfanview or XnView are good media programs for photos. If you are looking for trying to see Exif info, Gimp works very well.
    Thanks for the WinZip - very nice.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:06.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums