Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 993
    Windows 10 Pro,
       16 Jul 2015 #1

    A Stupid Question About Windows 10 Product Keys


    Hello All,
    So I am happily running Windows 10 build 10240, and I' m loving it. There is so much talk here at The Windows Ten Forum regarding exactly what will happen on July 29th, and how each person is going to receive and activate their public release version of Windows 10, that I decided to use a program called Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder to find out exactly what is the product key of my Windows 10. I found out that the product key that is shown is vastly different than any in this list:
    Download Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO File - Windows 10 Forums

    or this list;

    How to activate the latest Windows 10 build - Microsoft Community

    Also, the key is different than the product key of my original Windows 8 (and 8.1) OS that I have installed on my machine. It is important to note that I do not run Windows 10 in a virtual machine, it is primary OS. Also, I did not do a clean install of Windows 10, I went the upgrade route over my Windows 8.1. So what gives? Where did this new and different product key come from?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,379
    Win 10 14393.51
       16 Jul 2015 #2

    Rocky said: View Post
    Hello All,
    So I am happily running Windows 10 build 10240, and I' m loving it. There is so much talk here at The Windows Ten Forum regarding exactly what will happen on July 29th, and how each person is going to receive and activate their public release version of Windows 10, that I decided to use a program called Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder to find out exactly what is the product key of my Windows 10. I found out that the product key that is shown is vastly different than any in this list:
    Download Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO File - Windows 10 Forums

    or this list;

    How to activate the latest Windows 10 build - Microsoft Community

    Also, the key is different than the product key of my original Windows 8 (and 8.1) OS that I have installed on my machine. It is important to note that I do not run Windows 10 in a virtual machine, it is primary OS. Also, I did not do a clean install of Windows 10, I went the upgrade route over my Windows 8.1. So what gives? Where did this new and different product key come from?
    I don't know.

    I'd bet, however, that you could not use that key to clean install 10240 from an .iso. If you learn otherwise, please let us know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 993
    Windows 10 Pro,
       16 Jul 2015 #3

    Thanks. I am going to do some more research into this enigma.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 993
    Windows 10 Pro,
       16 Jul 2015 #4

    Has anybody else investigated their product key? I am curious to find out if everybody is experiencing the same thing as I am.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 243
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
       16 Jul 2015 #5

    Build 10162

    Did a clean install and skipped all the points where I was asked for a product key. Windows activated itself anyway, lol? So, I changed the product key to the officail one: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV.

    Just had a look in the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId) and I too have a completely different product key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 4,352
    Windows 10 Pro X64 14393.576
       16 Jul 2015 #6

    I upgraded my VM from 10166 to 10240, key is as expected: Windows 10 Build 10240 for PC is now available

    Windows 10 Pro build 10240 - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

    Same key on my Toshiba laptop that was upgraded from 10166 to 10240.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 38
    Tech Preview
       16 Jul 2015 #7

    Ztruker said: View Post
    I upgraded my VM from 10166 to 10240, key is as expected: Windows 10 Build 10240 for PC is now available

    Windows 10 Pro build 10240 - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

    Same key on my Toshiba laptop that was upgraded from 10166 to 10240.
    Today I upgraded a W7 machine using that key.

    It installed without hitch but would not activate. There was a message to use the key that is printed on the box the DVD came in.

    Maybe I should try a clean install?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 243
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
       16 Jul 2015 #8

    Nus said: View Post
    Build 10162

    Did a clean install and skipped all the points where I was asked for a product key. Windows activated itself anyway, lol? So, I changed the product key to the officail one: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV.

    Just had a look in the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId) and I too have a completely different product key.
    It seems like that key is for 32bit OS, and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId4 is for 64bit OS. I'm running 64bit; regardless, the key under that location is different as well.

    OP, is the Jelly Bean software you used checking for 32bit or 64 bit keys?

    Anyway, I assume Microsoft is just assigning unique keys to the preview builds during activation or something similar.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,310
    win 10 Insider
       16 Jul 2015 #9

    I also have had all sorts of keys that I didn't recognize! I am just quietly confidant that MS will sort out my system, updated from 8.1, come 29 Jul.

    Try Showkey as I think that is better at finding keys.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 993
    Windows 10 Pro,
       17 Jul 2015 #10

    Thanks to everybody that posted to help me sort this riddle out. Mine is 64 bit and I will try Show Key, but as was pointed out upthread, I am sure that Microsoft knows what it is doing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Toggle Keys Tone - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
How to Turn On or Off Toggle Keys Tone in Windows 10 When you press the Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock keys on your keyboard, it will toggle turning on and off Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock. This tutorial will show you how to turn...
Tutorials
Solved Can someone give me registry keys for windows explorer
Specifically, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HomeFolderDesktop, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HomeFolderMobile Story if you are interested: So I upgrade from...
General Support
Windows 10 product key?
I want to clean install Windows 10 on my HTPC and remain an insider. Will it ask for a product key? Can I use my 8.1 product key? I found an ISO that I am going to try so that I don't have to install 8.1 and 1,000 updates.
Installation and Setup
EULA; UEFI; Product Keys and reverting....
I raised the following question with one of the worlds biggest OEM manufacturers.... ".....in the event that the W10 upgrade goes wrong, will the User be able to revert to their previous OS? And how will the W10 upgrade impact on Users with UEFI...
General Support
Microsoft Ready to Wave Bye-Bye to Product Keys in Windows 10
Source
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:29.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums