Windows 10: how is windows 10 still this bad?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    05 May 2017 #21

    I upgraded to Creator and realized that they had taken more features out,

    Example; open control panel>Icon view and look for 'Display' ....
    it no longer exists.

    This was used for setting menu, Icon, border, help, eic... font sizes and other things. This was a deal breaker for me. I have a volunteer organization of ''mature'' adults, that I handle all of their computer programming and support. I make the fonts larger, since many of them no longer have the site of a 20 year old. Without this feature, Windows 10 is useless. And I don't want everything showing 150% larger (which is the only alternative).

    My real fear with Windows 10, is how will they change it in the future. Will it get to a point where it no longer supports the processes we currently do. I have a server I am setting up, that I have been struggling to decide whether I should use 7 or 10. Windows 10 has already caused a challenge in some areas. I don't want to risk 3-5 years down the road they automatically upgrade and remove other things. I want an OS I know won't change, and is stable.

    Windows 10 - is not a winner in my book, a couple of added features, doesn't surpass a stable, dependable, non-changing OS..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 May 2017 #22

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    I want an OS I know won't change, and is stable.
    It doesn't exist. *ALL* os's change, and eventually current versions will stop being supported, and thus no security patches. You *WILL* have to change at some point, no way around it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    06 May 2017 #23

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    I upgraded to Creator and realized that they had taken more features out,

    Example; open control panel>Icon view and look for 'Display' ....
    it no longer exists.

    This was used for setting menu, Icon, border, help, eic... font sizes and other things. This was a deal breaker for me. I have a volunteer organization of ''mature'' adults, that I handle all of their computer programming and support. I make the fonts larger, since many of them no longer have the site of a 20 year old. Without this feature, Windows 10 is useless. And I don't want everything showing 150% larger (which is the only alternative).

    My real fear with Windows 10, is how will they change it in the future. Will it get to a point where it no longer supports the processes we currently do. I have a server I am setting up, that I have been struggling to decide whether I should use 7 or 10. Windows 10 has already caused a challenge in some areas. I don't want to risk 3-5 years down the road they automatically upgrade and remove other things. I want an OS I know won't change, and is stable.

    Windows 10 - is not a winner in my book, a couple of added features, doesn't surpass a stable, dependable, non-changing OS..


    Hi there

    not sure what your actual beef is --- control panel still exists and you can pin it to desktop on CU edition 1703

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctrlpanel.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	321.6 KB 
ID:	133710

    For icons simply create a desktop short cut (find .exe file and right mouse click on it --->send to desktop (create short cut) and then you can by using properties change the icon -- you can use your own icons if required.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icons.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	133713

    As for unchanging OS'es --even Linux changes !!! you need features for handling new threats, better and faster algorithms for handling new hardware devices -- in the future we might need a 128 bit OS --quite possible with the price of things like training simulators etc becoming almost affordable for mere mortals (at least rich ones) .

    What would you do for Internet access when 2.4 GHZ is eventually abandoned - or even new replacements for Wifi such as 1 Gib/s or even 10 Gib/s hardware and only ivp6 addresses available.

    Maybe you should still be using paper tape and THESE for input !!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollerith.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	528.2 KB 
ID:	133711

    OS'es like cars, games, TV's etc always evolve. If you have to run legacy hard / software you can always do it in Virtual Machines.



    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       06 May 2017 #24

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    ... I have a server I am setting up, that I have been struggling to decide whether I should use 7 or 10.
    If you are building a server you should not use either as they are both desktop operating systems. for a server you use a Server OS, there are many long term option, some from Microsoft Many More from Many Linux producers.

    You'll never get far using a hammer to cut wood
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    06 May 2017 #25

    gr5eqqergagrae said: View Post
    I miss the days of vista where if you knew how to computer you'd have no problems while the masses complained, but with 10 I'm now getting the same widespread bugs as everyone else and it doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon even though I built a $3000 desktop that did everything in 8 without any hassles or loading


    I wanna know how they're doing this bad it's not people this time it's microsoft or I wouldn't be having problems was bill around for 8 because bad start menu choice aside it performed so perfectly and 10's a complete 180 I wanna know what exactly happened who left or who joined and can they fix that
    Have you tried stopping the WU installing the drivers for you? How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    08 May 2017 #26

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    not sure what your actual beef is --- control panel still exists and you can pin it to desktop on CU edition 1703

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctrlpanel.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	321.6 KB 
ID:	133710


    Cheers
    jimbo
    You entirely missed my point..

    Look at your Control Panel image, there used to be an option 'Display' that no longer exists.
    It was where you could go in and change icon text size, menu text size, help text size, etc..
    it simply is gone. Now the only option is scaling which either increases or decreases everything on a page

    Mystere said: View Post
    It doesn't exist. *ALL* os's change, and eventually current versions will stop being supported, and thus no security patches. You *WILL* have to change at some point, no way around it.
    But other past version updates haven't removed function items only enhanced them. Now with automatic upgrades functions are removed and you have no idea.

    Windows used to have tons of options, now it is nothing more then a stupid terminal

    but I have past iso's and way to disable all upgrades so that is what I am going with

    Besides in 10 years Windows 10 will be no more and they will have come up with something else. They aren't going to turn off their cash cow.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 32,279
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18242
       08 May 2017 #27

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    You entirely missed my point..

    Look at your Control Panel image, there used to be an option 'Display' that no longer exists.
    It was where you could go in and change icon text size, menu text size, help text size, etc..
    it simply is gone. Now the only option is scaling which either increases or decreases everything on a page


    But other past version updates haven't removed function items only enhanced them. Now with automatic upgrades functions are removed and you have no idea.

    Windows used to have tons of options, now it is nothing more then a stupid terminal

    but I have past iso's and way to disable all upgrades so that is what I am going with

    Besides in 10 years Windows 10 will be no more and they will have come up with something else. They aren't going to turn off their cash cow.

    Hello @Trust_No1, :)

    Here you go:



    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    08 May 2017 #28

    I think there should be a fine for any member who makes the assumption that an issue they are having is a bug and that everyone else has the same "bug". We take the fines and donate them to a charity.

    Seriously. What else is it going to take before people realize that one issue on their unique system doesn't represent a bug and render Windows 10 crap?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    08 May 2017 #29

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    I think there should be a fine for any member who makes the assumption that an issue they are having is a bug and that everyone else has the same "bug". We take the fines and donate them to a charity.

    Seriously. What else is it going to take before people realize that one issue on their unique system doesn't represent a bug and render Windows 10 crap?
    Very well said!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       08 May 2017 #30

    Could I suggest that a suitable charity should be the @z3r010 special Cognac fund. He deserves it for putting up with us lot
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:36.
Find Us