Windows 10: So many problems! Error messages. Please read and help if you can

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

  1. Posts : 88
    Windows 10 upgraded from win 7 upgraded from vista
    Thread Starter
       28 Apr 2017 #161

    Hi guys - back to give you an update.

    I have had some time to consider a plan and this is it:

    I have ordered a new computer (was planning to do so in a couple of months anyway) and am going to load my files on that so that I have something working properly that I can trust. Hopefully this will be done in the next week or so. Then I will persist with the advice you guys have given me and try and get that software working on disk or stick to check the drives and hopefully take an image. Also to try and extract some of the older software license keys, although I may actually have them from 3 years ago when I last wiped and formatted the machine. I ran something called Jellybean or something back then to get them. I think I might have a record of them.

    If that fails, I will just wipe the disk and reformat anyway and you will be happy that I might evendecide to remove the RAID 0 configuration, which I nearly did last time!

    I did contact Microsoft today and they confirmed that WIN 10 free upgrades are linked to my WIN 7 subscription key and checked for me that mine is valid for WIN 10. So this means I will be able to have a nice clean WIN 10 install instead of a Vista updated to win 7 updated to win 10.

    I will keep you guys updated and be back when I am ready to try and get that image and check the disk!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 88
    Windows 10 upgraded from win 7 upgraded from vista
    Thread Starter
       28 Apr 2017 #162

    JUst a thought - I might have an old win 7 boot disk that I made after install...would it be possible to run chkdsk from that at all?

    even tho my machine is win 10 ... could it boot to win 7 on the disk and run chkdsk?

    If I end up reformatting - that will check for bad sectors in the process won't it anyway?

    Actually - not sure how I am going to get to the reformat command without some sort of boot disk/ stick anyway...hmmm...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 10,518
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider
       28 Apr 2017 #163

    I wouldn't think a Windows 7 would be a very good choice. Maybe @simrick would know better.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 88
    Windows 10 upgraded from win 7 upgraded from vista
    Thread Starter
       28 Apr 2017 #164

    essenbe said: View Post
    I wouldn't think a Windows 7 would be a very good choice. Maybe @simrick would know better.
    Ok thanks - maybe I wont try that then It was just a thought as I wondered if it is just running on the boot disk just to access chkdsk, and chkdsk sits below windows ie uses command prompt ...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    28 Apr 2017 #165

    Hi.
    Sorry, have not been available today.
    A new computer?

    I think, if you can get the the thing to boot from a CD, you could run CHKDSK from command prompt in Kyhi's recovery environment. Then again, if you get a new system, you could just pull the drives, hook them to the new one with a USB adapter, and run CHKDSK that way.

    Actually, even booting to a Linux distro (like Ubuntu) will tell you right away of your drive(s) is bad (it auto-checks). But you've got to get the system to boot to the media...

    At any rate, a new system sounds like a plan to me, and getting rid of RAID0 is even better.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 88
    Windows 10 upgraded from win 7 upgraded from vista
    Thread Starter
       29 Apr 2017 #166

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi.
    Sorry, have not been available today.
    A new computer?

    I think, if you can get the the thing to boot from a CD, you could run CHKDSK from command prompt in Kyhi's recovery environment. Then again, if you get a new system, you could just pull the drives, hook them to the new one with a USB adapter, and run CHKDSK that way.

    Actually, even booting to a Linux distro (like Ubuntu) will tell you right away of your drive(s) is bad (it auto-checks). But you've got to get the system to boot to the media...

    At any rate, a new system sounds like a plan to me, and getting rid of RAID0 is even better.
    Great .. thanks! ... I'll be back in a week or so
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    29 Apr 2017 #167

    This is quite long thread so haven't read all.. but if not mentioned before, in addition stay away from System Mechanic...it may have had some use in the bad old days - only caused problems for me tho' - Windows has good built-in tools for repair and maintenance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 88
    Windows 10 upgraded from win 7 upgraded from vista
    Thread Starter
       29 Apr 2017 #168

    Superfly said: View Post
    This is quite long thread so haven't read all.. but if not mentioned before, in addition stay away from System Mechanic...it may have had some use in the bad old days - only caused problems for me tho' - Windows has good built-in tools for repair and maintenance.
    Really? Ok will bear that in mind. I tend to use CC most of the time but system mechanic has helped me identify unnecessary/ clean up start up files etc in the past. Is CC still okay to use?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    29 Apr 2017 #169

    Superfly said: View Post
    This is quite long thread so haven't read all.. but if not mentioned before, in addition stay away from System Mechanic...it may have had some use in the bad old days - only caused problems for me tho' - Windows has good built-in tools for repair and maintenance.

    Squibbler said: View Post
    Really? Ok will bear that in mind. I tend to use CC most of the time but system mechanic has helped me identify unnecessary/ clean up start up files etc in the past. Is CC still okay to use?
    Ccleaner is fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 88
    Windows 10 upgraded from win 7 upgraded from vista
    Thread Starter
       29 Apr 2017 #170

    simrick said: View Post



    Ccleaner is fine.
    Thanks x
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

    Related Threads
    Since this weekend i have been encountering random errors with Windows Live Mail 2012 and i feel it is taking more time to get the messages. This is an example of the errors: Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail (i omitted e mail...
    Hello, I just installed the latest build of Windows 10 and am running into some problems that never occurred to me before. My previous version of Windows 10 failed because of some system restore custom app that I downloaded so I had to reinstall....
    DVD/CD-ROM Read Problems in Drivers and Hardware
    Hi: I have just come across a funny one. I have a program that I wanted to install into my Win 10 Pro Machine (64 Bit) and have found that the disk can not be read by the DVD/CD-ROM Drive. I also tried it in another Windows 10 Computer (64...
    During Windows backup, which wants to backup the 'C' drive and my games drive 'E' (for some reason), I get the following error message after the 'C' backup has completed but not the 'E': 'The backup operation that started at...
    Hi! Since I have upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, I noticed that all my folders' attributes are read only . Even if I create new folders, they are read only on creation. When I try to remove the read only attribute in the folder properties, it...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11.
    Find Us