Windows 10: Context menu now has "Powershell" instead of "Command Prompt" Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    19 Apr 2017 #1

    Context menu now has "Powershell" instead of "Command Prompt"


    So I updated to the CU over a week ago, and I noticed an odd change. The "Open command prompt here" option in the shift+right-click context menu has been replaced by "Open Windows Powershell here" instead. Powershell does not work with the apps I use (for example, an RPA extractor, Powershell just gives an error). How do I revert this change?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 7,062
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       19 Apr 2017 #2

    It's changed from Command Prompt to Powershell on a right-click on Start too. There's a switch for 'replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell...' in:
    Settings > Personalization > Taskbar

    The switch has always been there, the default setting changed for the Creators Update. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to change the context menu.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       19 Apr 2017 #3

    Bree said: View Post
    It's changed from Command Prompt to Powershell on a right-click on Start too. There's a switch for 'replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell...' in:
    Settings > Personalization > Taskbar

    The switch has always been there, the default setting changed for the Creators Update.
    I thought about telling him that, but the setting you are talking about its when pressing Windows X or right clicking the start menu. He is talking about context menu.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    19 Apr 2017 #4

    GuyInDogSuit said: View Post
    So I updated to the CU over a week ago, and I noticed an odd change. The "Open command prompt here" option in the shift+right-click context menu has been replaced by "Open Windows Powershell here" instead. Powershell does not work with the apps I use (for example, an RPA extractor, Powershell just gives an error). How do I revert this change?
    Read this tutorial and it shows you how, step by step :)
    Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    19 Apr 2017 #5

    Bree said: View Post
    It's changed from Command Prompt to Powershell on a right-click on Start too. There's a switch for 'replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell...' in:
    Settings > Personalization > Taskbar

    The switch has always been there, the default setting changed for the Creators Update. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to change the context menu.
    Did you try rebooting after making the change?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 7,062
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       19 Apr 2017 #6

    ChuckHL said: View Post
    I thought about telling him that, but the setting you are talking about its when pressing Windows X or right clicking the start menu. He is talking about context menu.
    Yes, it doesn't change that - I've edited my post to say so.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    19 Apr 2017 #7

    Bree said: View Post
    Yes, it doesn't change that - I've edited my post to say so.
    There is also a way to change it using your registry, Brink posted 2 different methods ....I posted the link a couple msgs back
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 7,062
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       19 Apr 2017 #8

    Brink has a tutorial for everything....
    Open command window here - Add in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    19 Apr 2017 #9

    Bree said: View Post
    Brink has a tutorial for everything....
    Open command window here - Add in Windows 10
    Yep, just about .. :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    19 Apr 2017 #10

    Wow, you guys are fast! Thanks, I will try that and report back.

    EDIT: It worked! No need to reboot, either. Funny that the Powershell option is still there, but meh.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    One of our Win10 laptops has a context menu with "Properties" that uses shortcut key "r". The other uses key "o" which conflicts with "open". I have no idea how it got corrupted. Suggested locations in the registry for context menu doesn't list it....
    1. Create a newTask named OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC and activate "Run with the highest privileges" 2. Go to the Actions Tab, create a new Action "Start a Program" choose "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" and set the Working Directory (Start in) to...
    I've just upgraded to Windows 10 and when I use the file explorer, the "delete" and "cut" is missing from the context menu when I press right-click with mouse on the file and folder. Is there anyone that knows how to add these features into the...
    Greetings all. How do I add the keyboard shortcut command "ctrl+F" to the Internet Explorer context menu? I know where I need to go in the registry to add an item to the context menu of Internet Explorer, but I don't know how to add a keyboard...
    Anyone knows why when i remove "Send To" & "Pin To Start" context menu entries from registry, windows automatically creates new one's after restart. Never had such problem in 8, and it's driving me nuts!!!!! Thanks for help!
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:47.
    Find Us