Windows 10: Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    14 Apr 2017 #1

    Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?


    Hello,

    I have a question regarding taking ownership of an executable that is in the WindowsApps folder in Program Files. I want to take ownership of it so I can make it launch at startup every time I boot up Windows. That's because for some reason, putting a shortcut of the executable in the Startup folder of Windows doesn't launch it at boot.

    The current ownership of that executable is TrustedInstaller but I want to change that to myself. I am wondering however if this would lead to any problems or errors regarding automatic processes that Windows uses for that executable. Or if it would lead to problems if I want to uninstall or reinstall the app.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    14 Apr 2017 #2

    It might be disastrous. Or you might get away with it. I've had enough difficulty keeping my aging PC afloat that I stay away from such actions. That said, you might look at:

    Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Last edited by Brink; 25 Apr 2017 at 19:07. Reason: link
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,558
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)
       14 Apr 2017 #3

    Task Scheduler


    I'd suggest that you don't change any files owned by "TrustedInstaller".

    Have you tried using the "Task Scheduler" to start the App?

    The tutorials shown below might help.

    Tutorials:
    Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10
    Create Startup Apps shortcut in Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,512
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       14 Apr 2017 #4

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    I'd suggest that you don't change any files owned by "TrustedInstaller".

    Have you tried using the "Task Scheduler" to start the App?

    The tutorials shown below might help.

    Tutorials:
    Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10
    Create Startup Apps shortcut in Windows 10
    I'd agree. Try anything but taking ownership, the consequences are unpredictable.

    If you can find no other way, then as a last resort take ownership just long enough to add your user account to the permissions. Then give ownership back to TrustedInstaller straight away. The name you'll need to type in the 'Change owner' dialog is: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,558
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)
       14 Apr 2017 #5

    Bree said: View Post
    If you can find no other way, then as a last resort take ownership just long enough to add your user account to the permissions. Then give ownership back to TrustedInstaller straight away. The name you'll need to type in the 'Change owner' dialog is: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller
    When I was testing the W7 Betas, I removed "TrustedInstaller" and then I couldn't restore it.
    Installing a new copy of W7 didn't take long in those days.

    These days I wouldn't think of removing "TrustedInstaller", without creating a backup image of my OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 4,512
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       14 Apr 2017 #6

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    When I was testing the W7 Betas, I removed "TrustedInstaller" and then I couldn't restore it...
    These days I wouldn't think of removing "TrustedInstaller", without creating a backup image of my OS.
    Well, I did say it was only to be tried as a last resort (if at all)

    Restoring ownership to TrustedInstaller is only possible if you use its full name. The 'NT SERVICE' bit is essential, else 'check names' says it can't be found.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,558
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)
       15 Apr 2017 #7

    Bree said: View Post
    Well, I did say it was only to be tried as a last resort (if at all)

    Restoring ownership to TrustedInstaller is only possible if you use its full name. The 'NT SERVICE' bit is essential, else 'check names' says it can't be found.
    At the time, I wasn't aware of that issue.
    I only found out about that "trick" a couple of years ago.

    Even though I know the trick now, (IMO) it would still be prudent to create a backup image (just in case).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 4,512
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       15 Apr 2017 #8

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    ...(IMO) it would still be prudent to create a backup image (just in case).
    IMO too. In fact it's a prudent safeguard even if you're not planning on hacking your system. It's part of my monthly routine, make an image before each cumulative update, and keep the previous images for as long as I have space to do so (I think I still have one for 10240, I certainly have the one for the OEM Win7 this system started with).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    25 Apr 2017 #9

    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm amazed taking ownership just to make it launch at startup can have bad consequences like that.


    Bree said: View Post
    I'd agree. Try anything but taking ownership, the consequences are unpredictable.

    If you can find no other way, then as a last resort take ownership just long enough to add your user account to the permissions. Then give ownership back to TrustedInstaller straight away. The name you'll need to type in the 'Change owner' dialog is: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller
    If I give it back to TrustedInstaller again, do I still have permission to launch the app at startup?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 25,248
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17040
       25 Apr 2017 #10

    Hello Johnny,

    If the app requires elevation to run, then it will not be allowed to run at startup by default for security reasons.

    If so, then you could use the tutorial below to create an elevated shortcut of the app, and place the elevated shortcut in your Startup folder as a workaround to run at startup without getting a UAC prompt.

    Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I would like to change the way file explorer looks, it looks like this now 115323 I'd like it to look more like this 115325 Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thanks
Solved These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hi. Over the last week or so, I am being prompted with this error message on my desktop when I either drag a item to the recycle bin or go to open my user folder on the desktop. I have run anti-virus and malware scans and this isn't solving the...
Is there a way to change ownership of the C drive to everyone? I tried right clicking, Security -> Add -> Everyone (check name showed ok), then set it to full control, and hit apply, but when I open a command prompt and type echo # > bla, it still...
Hi there forum, how do you change the Visual effects using a batch file or registry file. Thanks, Edward.
Drive, Folder and File Ownership in Network and Sharing
First off, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong topic, I pondered for quite a while trying to decide where exactly I should present my questions/issues and ultimately decided on this topic because but for Network and Sharing issues, I don't...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39.
Find Us