Windows 10: What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year? Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    12 Jul 2015 #1

    What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?


    Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard what happens and would like to know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,835
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       12 Jul 2015 #2

    you can upgrade for free within the first year of release - after the one year - you'll have to purchase windows 10 to upgrade
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    12 Jul 2015 #3

    Thanks Kyhi...that's what I thought.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    12 Jul 2015 #4

    Sithtiger said: View Post
    Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard what happens and would like to know.
    Do you mean will Microsoft create a subscription service for Windows 10 updates? I don't believe anyone knows at the moment. There's no point in speculating and being paranoid about this IMHO (and I'm not saying that you are).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    12 Jul 2015 #5

    https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...e-upgrade.html
    Try reading this post for some good info. Welcome to TenForums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    12 Jul 2015 #6

    Victek said: View Post
    Do you mean will Microsoft create a subscription service for Windows 10 updates? I don't believe anyone knows at the moment. There's no point in speculating and being paranoid about this IMHO (and I'm not saying that you are).
    No.. there will not be a subscription service.. Win10 will be free for the life of the device for updates/upgrades. No charge. There is no speculation on that subject. MS has made it perfectly clear.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    12 Jul 2015 #7

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    No.. there will not be a subscription service.. Win10 will be free for the life of the device for updates/upgrades. No charge. There is no speculation on that subject. MS has made it perfectly clear.
    Actually there's plenty of speculation, but it's all FUD as far as I can tell .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    12 Jul 2015 #8

    Kyhi said: View Post
    you can upgrade for free within the first year of release - after the one year - you'll have to purchase windows 10 to upgrade
    Or to better clarify: ALL Windows 10 licenses are permanent for the life of the device (meaning until the device is unrepairable or thrown out); just that if you have an eligible setup you can - until July 30th of 2016 - upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    12 Jul 2015 #9

    I think what the OP was asking is if future versions of Windows will be on a subscription basis. I hear from CNet or ZDnet that they will be charging a subscription fee for future upgrades to Windows 10. So basically after July 29th 2016, you will have to subscribe to receive updates (not security patches, but feature updates). That is only speculation at this point. Nobody really knows what is going on inside that giant head that is Microsoft.

    Snarks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    12 Jul 2015 #10

    SnarkyTwit said: View Post
    I think what the OP was asking is if future versions of Windows will be on a subscription basis. I hear from CNet or ZDnet that they will be charging a subscription fee for future upgrades to Windows 10. So basically after July 29th 2016, you will have to subscribe to receive updates (not security patches, but feature updates). That is only speculation at this point. Nobody really knows what is going on inside that giant head that is Microsoft.

    Snarks
    Again.. no. This is not true and MS will not be charging a subscription fee after July 2th of next year.
    Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription - PC Gamer
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Get Win 10 Pro as Free Upgrade in General Support
I am not a business. I have 4 computers at home running Win 7 Pro and 1 running 8.1 Pro. When I upgrade to Win 10 will I get the "Pro" version? Seems like I should as I have invested extra money in the earlier versions. Thanks, KayEee
Solved free upgrade in General Support
do we know who long to expect the free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 8? will it be 29th?
Hi, unfortunately I will not be able to install win10 on my personal work laptop due to some of their software and programs. Will I be able to make an ISO or something so I can install it a year or more later when perhaps my company will support it...
Businesses switching to Windows 10 for Enterprise won't be getting the operating system as a free upgrade within the first year of release and it will be updated differently as well. Back in October, it was reported that Microsoft was working on a...
Sounds good, too good to be 'true'? No matter what I think of Windows 10, it would be kinda stupid not to take up Microsoft on the free upgrade particularly if, like me, you have a standby build of your OS on a separate HD just in case the main...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13.
Find Us