Windows 10: safe removal ballon notification has disappeared, icon still in tray Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    08 Apr 2017 #1

    safe removal ballon notification has disappeared, icon still in tray


    Win 10 from Win 7 HP laptop2000 240CA, 64 bit I am really stumped and need help, please.


    My problem is I have theremove icon in the pop up from the taskbar tray (see photos) I do not get theballoon notification any longer that say Safe To Remove Hardware any longer.This happens whether I use flash drives or portable Seagate hard drives. I usedto get the balloon message.

    I check in settings allseems to be on. I think, but not sure if this all of a sudden happened when Iplugged in my friend's brand new san disc usb 3 flash drive to give him a 50second video of his late wife.
    I am stumped and have spenthours looking. Can you suggest what I am missing? I do not want to lose info onmy drives. Thank You Ron


    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Icon.jpg   safe to remove.jpg   settings.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    08 Apr 2017 #2

    To eject the currently connected device, open command prompt and type-
    rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll then Enter.
    To enable icon again, go into Action Center>Taskbar>Select which icons appear ***>Windows Explorer safely remove *** and turn On. Plug in a usb stick and if icon still missing, open Task Manager, close Windows Explorer process, let it restart. Should re-appear.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Apr 2017 #3

    ron3033 said: View Post
    Win 10 from Win 7 HP laptop2000 240CA, 64 bit I am really stumped and need help, please.


    My problem is I have theremove icon in the pop up from the taskbar tray (see photos) I do not get theballoon notification any longer that say Safe To Remove Hardware any longer.This happens whether I use flash drives or portable Seagate hard drives. I usedto get the balloon message.

    I check in settings allseems to be on. I think, but not sure if this all of a sudden happened when Iplugged in my friend's brand new san disc usb 3 flash drive to give him a 50second video of his late wife.
    I am stumped and have spenthours looking. Can you suggest what I am missing? I do not want to lose info onmy drives. Thank You Ron

    For safe eject USB notification missing:• Press keyboard "win + R"• Type "regedit"• Search the value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notification\Settings\Microsoft.Explore r.Notification.{...}"• If you REG_DWORD 0x00000001(0) set "0" you can double click on value. Set the value data to "1"• Click "OK"
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,602
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       08 Apr 2017 #4

    ron3033 said: View Post
    ... I used to get the balloon message. ...I think, but not sure if this all of a sudden happened when Iplugged in my friend's brand new san disc usb 3 flash drive ... Can you suggest what I am missing?
    I have seen this occasionally. A Restart is usually all that's needed to get back to normal. Shut down may not be sufficient to reset everything, not if you have fast start turned on. A restart will do a complete shut down then a full start up. It's always best to try the simplest solution first,
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    09 Apr 2017 #5

    Bastet said: View Post
    For safe eject USB notification missing:• Press keyboard "win + R"• Type "regedit"• Search the value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notification\Settings\Microsoft.Explore r.Notification.{...}"• If you REG_DWORD 0x00000001(0) set "0" you can double click on value. Set the value data to "1"• Click "OK"
    I found that tip and it works. Thanks for replying.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Apr 2017 #6

    Bree said: View Post
    I have seen this occasionally. A Restart is usually all that's needed to get back to normal. Shut down may not be sufficient to reset everything, not if you have fast start turned on. A restart will do a complete shut down then a full start up. It's always best to try the simplest solution first,
    Tried that, did not work so I did the registry entry and it works like before. Thanks for the reply.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 129
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Version 1803 Build 17134.165
       29 Apr 2017 #7

    Bastet said: View Post
    For safe eject USB notification missing:• Press keyboard "win + R"• Type "regedit"• Search the value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notification\Settings\Microsoft.Explore r.Notification.{...}"• If you REG_DWORD 0x00000001(0) set "0" you can double click on value. Set the value data to "1"• Click "OK"
    Cannot find "Microsoft.Explorer.Notification" in registry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails registry.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    01 May 2017 #8

    I have it:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	132847

    Looks like you may have a bigger problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 31
    Windows 10, Linux Mint 18.3, Centos 7.5
       07 May 2017 #9

    Bastet said: View Post
    For safe eject USB notification missing:• Press keyboard "win + R"• Type "regedit"• Search the value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notification\Settings\Microsoft.Explore r.Notification.{...}"• If you REG_DWORD 0x00000001(0) set "0" you can double click on value. Set the value data to "1"• Click "OK"
    First of all, thanks for the fix. However, you need to fix a space that shows up in this thread as well as other posts where you placed this fix. I suspect that is why people are having trouble finding it in the registry....they are copying and pasting (like lazy me) the text from your post, which has the text:

    Microsoft.Explore<SPACE HERE>r.Notification

    What is weird however, is that the space does not show up when I quote your text, but shows up in the post. In the past I have noticed that happens when I copy and paste to the forums from another place. For instance I may write something in Word, copy to the forum, realized I need to make a change and copy it back. All kinds of extra spaces show up. I believe invisible characters get injected.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    07 May 2017 #10

    Thanks, I'm copying from OneNote & there's no space in the text but in future will check before posting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved safe removal drive in Drivers and Hardware
When I have inserted a SD memory card, I have the possibility for "ejecting" the card after which it can be safely removed. I donot understand why this possibility does not exist with an USB HDD. I thought that just removing such drive gives the...
I searched to see if anyone addresses this issue and didn't find a thread for my exact problem, pardon me if I missed it... I used to have a bluetooth icon showing in my system tray/notification area, which was a nice convenience. It disappeared...
Hi, I enabled tray balloon on my Windows 10 but it is showing up on the top left corner of the screen. 57177 How do I fix that?
This just happened to me today. The safe to remove icon is usually located in the hidden taskbar . When I clicked on it to remove a flash drive , I normally get the "safe to remove" notification . Now this has gone missing and the icon shows up...
Reserved Win10; yesterday sys tray icon disappeared in Windows Updates and Activation
I reserved Windows 10 on or about July 20th, when the little GWX icon showed up in my system tray. I changed the email address on my Microsoft account last week. I hope this does not matter... I can still get mail at that address for another...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45.
Find Us