Creators Update - Discussion of new changes and quirks

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 564
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1
       #71

    Alphanumeric, are you using a direct upgrade from Version 1607 to 1703 or a clean install?

    I did a direct upgrade on 3 PCs and all of them do it, especially trying to uninstall NVIDIA software. My display drivers needed reinstalled due to an issue with GeForce Experience.

    On the other 2 machines, when I uninstall NVIDIA software, UAC says it's RunDll32.exe asking to run, but points to the program being uninstalled, so it ends up working.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 14,577
    Windows 10 IoT
       #72

    lmaneke said:
    Alphanumeric, are you using a direct upgrade from Version 1607 to 1703 or a clean install?

    I did a direct upgrade on 3 PCs and all of them do it, especially trying to uninstall NVIDIA software. My display drivers needed reinstalled due to an issue with GeForce Experience.

    On the other 2 machines, when I uninstall NVIDIA software, UAC says it's RunDll32.exe asking to run, but points to the program being uninstalled, so it ends up working.
    I've done both, upgrades and clean installs, and no issues uninstalling from Apps & features.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 14,577
    Windows 10 IoT
       #73

    cereberus said:
    You can still activate with a 7/8 key. Actually this is a good change as it should mean you no longer get caught in the trap that it clean installs home even if you want to install pro.

    I like that they did this.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 445
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #74

    alphanumeric said:
    I like that they did this.
    So.....are you saying that when doing a Clean Install you can use your Win 7 or 8 key...........I have not heard this before but if it's true then I like it myself........
    Last edited by Barman58; 09 Apr 2017 at 10:08.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #75

    fireberd said:
    I have a separate post, but I'll post it here too in case someone comes across this. I installed the Creators upgrade and it "broke" a paid version of Macrium Reflect V6. I can't run Macrium Reflect as it says my license key has already been used. However, the Macrium procedure to deactivate a license key on a PC is a procedure within the Reflect program, which can't be run. I have a support request into Macrium about this. I haven't run across any other problems, yet. My recording studio program (Sonar Platinum) runs without problems.

    This is the message I get when I try to run Reflect V6

    Attachment 128630
    I just tried running Macrium Reflect and my license is OK. It would be nice if we could deactivate our license online instead of in the program.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 14,577
    Windows 10 IoT
       #76

    kipper said:
    So.....are you saying that when doing a Clean Install you can use your Win 7 or 8 key...........I have not heard this before but if it's true then I like it my dam self........
    If its already been activated with a Digital Entitlement you don't need to enter any key at all. You just click the "I don't have one" install the correct version from the list and it will activate with the digital Entitlement.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 445
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #77

    alphanumeric said:
    If its already been activated with a Digital Entitlement you don't need to enter any key at all. You just click the "I don't have one" install the correct version from the list and it will activate with the digital Entitlement.
    OK.....I still have a couple windows 7 Pro keys that have never been activated left from my TechNet days......was hoping I might be able to use one of them to activate a new install on a new build.........but from your answer it looks like that is not possible....
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 14,577
    Windows 10 IoT
       #78

    kipper said:
    OK.....I still have a couple windows 7 Pro keys that have never been activated left from my TechNet days......was hoping I might be able to use one of them to activate a new install on a new build.........but from your answer it looks like that is not possible....
    cereberus posted above that its still doable, but for how long is the question. If you want to try it I'd do it sooner than latter. All my rigs have multiple Digital Entitlements so I have no easy way to test if 7 or 8 keys still activate.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 445
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #79

    alphanumeric said:
    cereberus posted above that its still doable, but for how long is the question. If you want to try it I'd do it sooner than latter. All my rigs have multiple Digital Entitlements so I have no easy way to test if 7 or 8 keys still activate.
    Thanks Alpha

    I seen that post also........figured it would work if I did the Win 7 install and then did the upgrade........not sure if I want to go through the hassle installing Win 7 on the new ASUS CrossHair VI X370 board which can be done but several hoops to jump through to get it done........
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #80

    cereberus said:
    This is incorrect - all upgrades are mandatory for Home/PRO at least. You have to take active steps to prevent it but in the end silly as the build will not get any support after a while creating a security risk.

    Bree has already explained it. You also omitted part of my post while stating what I said...
    Personally I can't see why one wouldn't get the latest version of any software. I can see waiting a few weeks or so, but to totally ignore is just asking for issues down the line. That's the way I see it.

    Peace
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:52.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums