Can't change computer bios to boot from disc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #1

    Can't change computer bios to boot from disc


    I want to format and partition my hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows 10

    Problem: I can't change computer to boot from Drive instead of hard drive.

    When I restart and tap on excape or F9 F10 or F12 it just keeps coming up as a regular start booting from my
    hard drive.

    What is wrong and how can it be fixed?

    Thanks
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3,941
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #2

    Depends how old your PC/ Laptop is sometimes F5, on boot, will give the options.
      My Computers


  3. WOT
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       #3

    Also, If you have function keys enabled in the BIOS, you may have to hold the FN key while tapping the correct F key to get to the boot menu. F11 or F12 works on many rigs. It would also be helpful to know the make/model number of your laptop or PC.

    Good luck,

    WOT
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 56,103
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #4

    @TGMcCallie

    Give this a shot......

    From this documentation: HP PCs - Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS | HP® Customer Support



    The BIOS settings menu is accessible by pressing the f2 or the f6 key on some computers.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    WOT said:
    Also, If you have function keys enabled in the BIOS, you may have to hold the FN key while tapping the correct F key to get to the boot menu. F11 or F12 works on many rigs. It would also be helpful to know the make/model number of your laptop or PC.

    Good luck,

    WOT
    HP desktop A6542

    When I start windows it says the excape key is the to tap to change the boot order. It does not work

    I am going to reformat and do clean installation of my Windows 10 and don't know how I can do that if I can't boot from the CD Drive. My windows disk will boot up. I also have a partition/format program that I want to use to wipe partition and format. It will also boot up. I don't really think I will ever need to change the boot order again in the near future.

    My Circuit Board info is:

    Board: Pegatron Corporation Benicia 2.01
    Bios: American Megatrends Inc. 5.43 09/10/2009

    Any other ideas would be appreciated as I have tried all F Keys just in case but a few days ago I know excape worked and gave me the opportunity to change the boot order but now it will not.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 56,103
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #6

    TGMcCallie said:
    HP desktop A6542

    When I start windows it says the excape key is the to tap to change the boot order. It does not work

    I am going to reformat and do clean installation of my Windows 10 and don't know how I can do that if I can't boot from the CD Drive. My windows disk will boot up. I also have a partition/format program that I want to use to wipe partition and format. It will also boot up. I don't really think I will ever need to change the boot order again in the near future.

    My Circuit Board info is:

    Board: Pegatron Corporation Benicia 2.01
    Bios: American Megatrends Inc. 5.43 09/10/2009

    Any other ideas would be appreciated as I have tried all F Keys just in case but a few days ago I know excape worked and gave me the opportunity to change the boot order but now it will not.
    @TGMcCallie, Good morning!

    I'm a little confused with parts of your post. I have highlighted it above.

    You say you have 2 other, separate, bootable items. They boot fine. Yet your Install Media will not.
    Just to be clear, what you are calling "my windows disk", is that the HDD or a Windows Recovery disk (CD/DVD)? The "partition/format program", is that a CD/DVD, or just an app on the system? I'm only trying be clear on how you are using the term "boot". Do you mean boot, as in BIOS reading it and running from it, or a program/app running under Windows?


    What is your Install Media? CD or DVD? Where did you get the ISO and how did you create it?
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 17,361
    Windows 11 Pro
       #7

    Make sure you are down a full shutdown. Hold down the shift key when you click on shutdown in Windows. This will bypass Windows fast startup. Then when you press the power key to turn the computer back on, immediately start tapping the ESC key repeatedly.
      My Computer


  8. WOT
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       #8

    You don't need to change the boot order permanently to access the boot menu. The ESC key is most likely your key to access the bios proper but there should be a unique key to simply access the boot menu and make a current boot selection. Now, sometimes, if you have fast startup enabled (or very fast startup enabled) in your bios, you may not be able to access the bios by repeatedly pressing the correct key on boot. Instead you can use this method to access you bios:

    Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

    Follow the tutorial and select "advanced UEFI settings" and it will reboot directly into your bios.

    Good luck,

    WOT
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 17,361
    Windows 11 Pro
       #9

    WOT said:
    You don't need to change the boot order permanently to access the boot menu. The ESC key is most likely your key to access the bios proper but there should be a unique key to simply access the boot menu and make a current boot selection. Now, sometimes, if you have fast startup enabled (or very fast startup enabled) in your bios, you may not be able to access the bios by repeatedly pressing the correct key on boot. Instead you can use this method to access you bios:

    Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

    Follow the tutorial and select "advanced UEFI settings" and it will reboot directly into your bios.

    Good luck,

    WOT
    On most HP computers the Escape key at startup opens another menu that has several options - enter bios setup, choose boot device, recovery, etc. The method of selecting advanced UEFI settings from the Windows recovery menu likely won't work on the OP's computer because his computer is more than likely legacy BIOS and not UEFI.
      My Computer


  10. WOT
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       #10

    NavyLCDR said:
    likely won't work
    OK, if you say so; however, I thought I remembered using it on a Lenovo 2011 legacy laptop. Maybe someone could test it because I think it is just a fancy catch-phrase for "boot into bios."
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums