Windows 10: Icons Gone on destop and taskbar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    24 May 2017 #11

    Okay, new development. I was using Ultimate Windows Tweaker because I like to remove the shortcut arrows on my icons, which were back after the upgrade. As soon as I check the option to remove the arrows my icons disappeared again, when I clicked to show the shortcut arrows my icons came back.

    Not sure what changed in Windows to have this suddenly cause an issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,797
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       24 May 2017 #12

    wiski said: View Post
    Okay, new development. I was using Ultimate Windows Tweaker because I like to remove the shortcut arrows on my icons, which were back after the upgrade. As soon as I check the option to remove the arrows my icons disappeared again, when I clicked to show the shortcut arrows my icons came back.

    Not sure what changed in Windows to have this suddenly cause an issue.
    So there was system tweaker involved after all. It is useful info you provided now, some other user can really benefit from it.

    Windows activation is another problem. If everything was in order with first activation, Windows should activate. Nobody else can mess with your computer while you are away?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 May 2017 #13

    AndreTen said: View Post
    So there was system tweaker involved after all. It is useful info you provided now, some other user can really benefit from it.

    Windows activation is another problem. If everything was in order with first activation, Windows should activate. Nobody else can mess with your computer while you are away?
    As far as System Tweakers go, I hadn't used this one for two months. I installed Windows, used the program to remove the shortcut arrows, uninstalled the program, used Windows for months with no issues, started it this morning and my icons were gone.

    That's why I didn't consider it to be any sort of issue, I didn't even remember that I'd ever used it until I saw the shortcut arrows again.

    Nah, private computer at home, but I haven't looked at the activation screen for a long time, so for all I know it's been like this for a while. I'm now getting tempted to just reinstalled Windows fresh this afternoon, as it doesn't take long to do. I think I might have actually even made an image after I installed it the first time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,797
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       24 May 2017 #14

    wiski said: View Post
    As far as System Tweakers go, I hadn't used this one for two months. I installed Windows, used the program to remove the shortcut arrows, uninstalled the program, used Windows for months with no issues, started it this morning and my icons were gone.

    That's why I didn't consider it to be any sort of issue, I didn't even remember that I'd ever used it until I saw the shortcut arrows again.

    Nah, private computer at home, but I haven't looked at the activation screen for a long time, so for all I know it's been like this for a while. I'm now getting tempted to just reinstalled Windows fresh this afternoon, as it doesn't take long to do. I think I might have actually even made an image after I installed it the first time.
    Tweaker was uninstalled, but tweaks remain. Strange thou, that problems occurred after such a long time...

    You should tell you have the system image. This is the easiest way. With Macrium especially. Glad it worked anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 May 2017 #15

    AndreTen said: View Post
    Tweaker was uninstalled, but tweaks remain. Strange thou, that problems occurred after such a long time...

    You should tell you have the system image. This is the easiest way. With Macrium especially. Glad it worked anyway.
    Yup, used Macrium to make it. I wanted to try and figure out the issue without having to just restore or use a backup image, as I have about six Windows 10 PC's at work and wasn't sure if it was a problem that might also happen with them. If it was I wanted to see if there was a way to resolve it without having to get too crazy.

    Luckily I don't mess with the computers at work as much as I do with my own.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
I have successfully installed Windows 10 ("final') on three devices: One venerable notebook, one "media" desktop computer (in my living room) and my main desktop computer in my home office. Unfortunately, I have encountered a strange phenomenon...
Hi all please see the screenshot. 66788 is there a way to fix this? thanks!
All of a sudden the following symptoms (all at the same time):: 1. Taskbar icons gone (replaced by a neutral identical icon) except Edge and Store 2. In File Explorer, no longer thumbnails, no icons either, simply blank, but names show 3. All...
My taskbar is missing and my icons on the desktop are missing as well the background is dark kindly help:shock:
Which SSD are you guys using and how much of a speed increase has it given your boot times. I bought a Samsung 850 Evo 256Gb, it takes about 10 seconds to boot to the lock screen. I am still in awe about how much faster they are.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08.
Find Us