Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 9,213
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       21 Mar 2017 #11

    brainvision said: View Post
    wow, 12 GB of hibernation file is huge, never tought it could get so big!
    You can set it's size to 'Reduced' but that only supports fast start, not full hibernation. With an SSD fast start doesn't make much difference anyway. For full hibernation the minimum size for hibefil.sys is 40% of the installed memory. Sithtiger's system specs say 32GB RAM - sounds about right.

    The pagefile will be a similar size, but for that you can set it to be on a different drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    21 Mar 2017 #12

    Note that you can install programs on another drive if really necessary - e.g. large games programs.

    Also keep all personal data off your system drive as far as possible.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 Mar 2017 #13

    dalchina said: View Post
    Note that you can install programs on another drive if really necessary - e.g. large games programs.

    Also keep all personal data off your system drive as far as possible.
    Thanks, yeah, I should change that. I do like OneDrive as it saves to the cloud, but that's only 5 GB now isn't it? Can you change OneDrive to save from a different drive? Assuming it will only back up your Documents folder. I know you could create one on another folder, but can tell OneDrive to backup from a specific folder, or will it ONLY save from the Windows boot drive?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Mar 2017 #14

    Bree said: View Post
    You can set it's size to 'Reduced' but that only supports fast start, not full hibernation. With an SSD fast start doesn't make much difference anyway. For full hibernation the minimum size for hibefil.sys is 40% of the installed memory. Sithtiger's system specs say 32GB RAM - sounds about right.

    The pagefile will be a similar size, but for that you can set it to be on a different drive.
    Oh, that's nice to know. How do you tell it to save to another drive? The Hibernation file that is?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 9,213
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       22 Mar 2017 #15

    Sithtiger said: View Post
    Oh, that's nice to know. How do you tell it to save to another drive? The Hibernation file that is?
    Sorry, it's just the Pagefile that can be put on another drive (or multiple drives). The hibernation file can't be moved, for good reason...

    ...it's another chicken-and-egg problem: to load the hibernation file, you need the file system driver, but the file system driver is in the hibernation file. If you keep the hibernation file in the root directory of the boot drive, the miniature file system driver can be used instead.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...fidential.aspx
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but...
Google Toolbar not auto filling in IE12. Don't know what is wrong as I have it set to auto fill!
Solved Hard Drive Randomly Filling Up in General Support
My 256 GB hard drive has zero space left (programs now shutting down, etc.). I deleted or moved all duplicate files ; documents and applications only account for about 50 GB. When I free up a few GB, it rapidly fills up again. This is not a defrag...
Hi Can anyone tell me how to get Windows 10 to give me a full screen view? I have set the resolution to 1920 by 1080 the same as my monitor but the image doesn't fill my screen. I tried to make a screen shot but of course it only covers the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01.
Find Us