Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    19 Mar 2017 #11
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows

    Thanks for the advice.

    I found a local shop who offers an i7-7700K, 512 GB SSD plus 1 TB drive, 16 GB RAM, and GTX 1060 video for $1506.

    But I also found a Dell XPS 8920 with the same specs (and wireless, too) for $1416. Tempting.

    The local builder specifies his components. Dell does not.

    I'm particularly interested in the PSU make, and the make/model of the SSD and disk drive.
    So far no luck on finding detailed Dell information online.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    19 Mar 2017 #12
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 575
    Win10 & Win7

    Quote Originally Posted by margrave10 View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

    I found a local shop who offers an i7-7700K, 512 GB SSD plus 1 TB drive, 16 GB RAM, and GTX 1060 video for $1506.

    But I also found a Dell XPS 8920 with the same specs (and wireless, too) for $1416. Tempting.

    The local builder specifies his components. Dell does not.

    I'm particularly interested in the PSU make, and the make/model of the SSD and disk drive.
    So far no luck on finding detailed Dell information online.
    I don't build PCs either. I've had several high end custom built Gaming PCs and they were fine but $$$. Since then I bought only Dells. I have 3 desktops (2-XPS 8700 and 1-XPS 8300) and an Inspiron laptop. They tun forever. I've never had problems with any and the oldest is more than 6 years old. Only things I have done to them is adding extra HDDs and SSDs. If I were fiddling with adding video cards then yes a Dell would not be a good choice.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Mar 2017 #13
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows

    I've decided to buy the Dell.
    Code:
    Dell XPS 8920
    
    Windows 10 Home x64
    i7-7700K
    16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
    512 GB M.2 SSD
    2 TB drive
    Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB
    Integrated audio
    802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0
    DVD burner
    Card reader
    1 year hardware warranty
    The nearest competitor was a local shop ... but his had:
    Code:
    CPU:   i7-7700 instead of i7-7700K
    Drive: 1 TB drive instead of 2 TB
    Price: $96 more than Dell
    Another shop had it with the i7-7700K, but came in $260 more than Dell.

    Thanks for all the help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    28 Mar 2017 #14
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    I have had good luck with dells. You should be fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    28 Mar 2017 #15
    Join Date : May 2014
    Cross Plains, WI
    Posts : 315
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by margrave10 View Post
    I've decided to buy the Dell.
    Code:
    Dell XPS 8920
    
    Windows 10 Home x64
    i7-7700K
    16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
    512 GB M.2 SSD
    2 TB drive
    Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB
    Integrated audio
    802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0
    DVD burner
    Card reader
    1 year hardware warranty
    The nearest competitor was a local shop ... but his had:
    Code:
    CPU:   i7-7700 instead of i7-7700K
    Drive: 1 TB drive instead of 2 TB
    Price: $96 more than Dell
    Another shop had it with the i7-7700K, but came in $260 more than Dell.

    Thanks for all the help.
    I think you will be very happy with it. Ive had three Dells, one precision desktop and two laptops; one Latitude and one Precision. Been very happy with all of them. Dells seem to run practically forever.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    28 Mar 2017 #16
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,640
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    Quote Originally Posted by margrave10 View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

    I found a local shop who offers an i7-7700K, 512 GB SSD plus 1 TB drive, 16 GB RAM, and GTX 1060 video for $1506.

    But I also found a Dell XPS 8920 with the same specs (and wireless, too) for $1416. Tempting.

    The local builder specifies his components. Dell does not.

    I'm particularly interested in the PSU make, and the make/model of the SSD and disk drive.
    So far no luck on finding detailed Dell information online.
    It's possible that the makers of things like the HD could vary depending on when you buy the system.

    Dell specifies that the PSU is adequate for graphics cards up to 225W, which would cover most GTX 1080 cards. (But not the 1080ti.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    28 Mar 2017 #17
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Balayan, Batangas
    Posts : 413
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

    The Dell's fine if you're not gonna overclock the processor because it's not unlocked. If the PSU of that Dell is Delta then you shouldn't even worry about it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    28 Mar 2017 #18
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 63
    Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB x64

    It's is very simple to put one together, especially with youtube..

    You will save a lot of money if you take a couple hours from your day to do so.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    28 Mar 2017 #19
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Dell specifies that the PSU is adequate for graphics cards up to 225W, which would cover most GTX 1080 cards. (But not the 1080ti.)
    One has to think that somebody who is ok with using a Dell, is also not likely going to get a video card that costs about 1/2 of the price of his entire system
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    28 Mar 2017 #20
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,640
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    Quote Originally Posted by RoasterMen View Post
    The Dell's fine if you're not gonna overclock the processor because it's not unlocked. If the PSU of that Dell is Delta then you shouldn't even worry about it.
    The processor in the Dell is listed as an I7-7700k. It's unlocked. (Seems unusual for Dell.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to switch off the monitor at the same time as the computer
Hello sorry to say this is not related to windows but is has been bugging me for a long time and I think there is no harm in asking, maybe someone has the same issue. My monitor is a Dell Ultra Sharp U2414H and has touch buttons, which have poor...
Drivers and Hardware
Q: My computer's fan is running all the time
It started a couple of days ago before I updated to windows 10 from 8, I had switched from power setting of "HP recommended" to "High performance" and played a game. The computer I use is a HP Pavilion Beats edition. Now I try to play the games I...
Performance & Maintenance
Boring time on my computer
After how many years of trying out software, installing and uninstalling software. My last wipe and install about 2 weeks ago... My system is running just great. Decided to only install reputable software, and no crazy hacking Windows-10-pro. I...
Chillout Room
Why does my computer have issues every time an update is available?
This has happened several times now... today, my internet connections was down... rebooted modem devices, still nothing, so i checked available updates... and voila! an update is due. After installing and rebooting, everything seems fine. Seems...
General Support
My computer has the wrong time!!
Asus laptop, Windows 10. My settings all appear to be right but all of a sudden my computer says it is 10:52 PM when it really is 9:52 EDT (Gainesville FL), yes it does say to detect daylight savings time. I rebooted, no luck. Help please......
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums