Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    07 Jul 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 15
    Win7

    Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?


    Read update FAQ, but... Bought 4 Win8 licenses when Win8 was released. Tried 1 (as Win8.1) but keep getting BSOD when my hdd would "sleep", so bailed (without activation?) and bought Win7. I also bought an additional Win7 license then, "just in case". What should be the update status for these unused Win8 (x4) and Win4 (x1) licenses? I plan a couple of new boxes, but they will not be built until Sep-Nov.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Jul 2015 #2
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,612
    Windows 10 IoT

    You have a whole year after the July 29th release date to claim your free upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Jul 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 15
    Win7
    Thread Starter

    Thanks. I'm seeing on other sites stuff about o/s having to be installed ON 7/29 to qualify, so attempting to check "fact/fiction/myth".
    http://www.geek.com/microsoft/owning...grade-1624355/
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Jul 2015 #4
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,647
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Read update FAQ, but... Bought 4 Win8 licenses when Win8 was released. Tried 1 (as Win8.1) but keep getting BSOD when my hdd would "sleep", so bailed (without activation?) and bought Win7. I also bought an additional Win7 license then, "just in case". What should be the update status for these unused Win8 (x4) and Win4 (x1) licenses? I plan a couple of new boxes, but they will not be built until Sep-Nov.
    It's clear that you could install Win 7 or 8 and upgrade to 10 for free anytime in the one year period beginning 7/29/2015.

    This may offer a clue as to how it'll work: the most recent Insider Win 10 builds would install over an activated qualifying OS (8.1 in my case) without the need for a key. The resulting Win 10 installation was activated. I believe that the license key that could be extracted from Windows (as by Magical Jellybean Finder) was different from the 8.1 key. The extracted key could not be used to do a clean installation of 10.

    It's not clear at all whether you could somehow go directly to Win 10 using a Win 7 or 8 license.

    Microsoft has also promised that upgraders would be able to do a clean installation of Win 10 in the future. It's unclear as to how that might work. If MS intends to provide a new Win 10 product key, that has not been explicitly stated anywhere I've seen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    07 Jul 2015 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,612
    Windows 10 IoT

    You can install after that date and still do the free upgrade. As long as its before the one year time frame runs out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Jul 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 15
    Win7
    Thread Starter

    Thanks, alphanumeric. I installed build 10162 as a clean install and it hasn't activated. Not concerned since I'm just doing a quick walk through and see if my BSOD probs still exist. Trying to decide if I have to choose Win8 or Win10 for this box now. So I can procrastinate without harm...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 Jul 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Wolves, England
    Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM

    Windows 10 is miles ahead of Windows 8 in my opinion.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    07 Jul 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 15
    Win7
    Thread Starter

    OT: Maybe, but this box is just a movie server without web access. So far, there's things I like about 10, but there's some headaches.

    -The text on stuff like File Explorer is not as clear as W7's and harder to read. Same monitor, same video processor but W7's is "blacker".
    -The active window is hard to find without the colored Title - a common complaint so maybe MS will fix or there'll be a 3rd party.
    -7+ Taskbar thingy isn't ready yet so I can freely move taskbar icons from ungrouped programs like File Explorer.
    -Control Panel/Settings schizophrenia.

    Hoping for W10 at this point, but just loaded it yesterday for test.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Jul 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10!

    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    OT: Maybe, but this box is just a movie server without web access. So far, there's things I like about 10, but there's some headaches.

    -The text on stuff like File Explorer is not as clear as W7's and harder to read. Same monitor, same video processor but W7's is "blacker".
    -The active window is hard to find without the colored Title - a common complaint so maybe MS will fix or there'll be a 3rd party.
    -7+ Taskbar thingy isn't ready yet so I can freely move taskbar icons from ungrouped programs like File Explorer.
    -Control Panel/Settings schizophrenia.

    Hoping for W10 at this point, but just loaded it yesterday for test.
    Regarding font, search "Cleartype", and configure it. Windows 10 gives options to how you want your text.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    08 Jul 2015 #10
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 236
    7, 10TP

    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Thanks, alphanumeric. I installed build 10162 as a clean install and it hasn't activated. Not concerned since I'm just doing a quick walk through and see if my BSOD probs still exist. Trying to decide if I have to choose Win8 or Win10 for this box now. So I can procrastinate without harm...
    I did a clean install of 10162 and it activated without any problem. Did not have to use any keys from Win 7 or 8, just the insider preview key that was needed to start the installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
10240 latest update - longer to download than ENTIRE update from 10162
Hi there I have a decent FAST internet -- but latest update (only a security update) seems to be taking LONGER than the ENTIRE update I did going from 10162 to 10240. 15 mins and STILL only at 6% ??? for a small security update. I know my...
Installation and Upgrade
New update package on Windows Update for PC build 10240 today
622153285609218048 622153799453401088 622154407015116801 UPDATE: KB3074665 update now available, and requires restart. How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Solved After update to 9926 no Windows Update in Control Panel
Just updated from 8.1 Pro X64 to W10 TP. After update i do not have Windows Update in the Control Panel. The only way I can get to Windows Update is by entering wuapp in the Run box. Also, Start button not working. Click on it and nothing...
Windows Updates and Activation
Update 9860 pushed like a normal update
Booted Win 10 TP under Hyper-V just now and was presented with this: 7365 I really dislike not having any kind of progress indicator.
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:46.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums