Desktop view has become the view of a folder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    23 Feb 2017 #1

    Desktop view has become the view of a folder


    Running windows 10 for several months but only recently the main desktop view when computer comes onhas acquired the look of a folder only with the normal desktop colors. That is, there is white band across the topwith such things as

    `| name | Size | Item Type | Date modified |'
    With columns under the headings shown. I must have inadvertently hit some kind of setting or other. I hope this forum allows attachments as I am attaching a small screen shot of just a chunk of my desktop that shows the stuff I described above.

    I hope someone recognizes what has happened
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails desktopasfolder170223_.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    23 Feb 2017 #2

    hput3 said: View Post
    Running windows 10 for several months but only recently the main desktop view when computer comes onhas acquired the look of a folder only with the normal desktop colors. That is, there is white band across the topwith such things as

    `| name | Size | Item Type | Date modified |'
    With columns under the headings shown. I must have inadvertently hit some kind of setting or other. I hope this forum allows attachments as I am attaching a small screen shot of just a chunk of my desktop that shows the stuff I described above.

    I hope someone recognizes what has happened
    That view you are seeing can be invoked with Ctrl+Shift+6 while mouse focus is on the desktop.
    Right click on the desktop and choose your default view.

    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Last edited by Brink; 26 Apr 2017 at 09:28. Reason: added tutorial link for more info
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 Feb 2017 #3

    Edwin said: View Post
    That view you are seeing can be invoked with Ctrl+Shift+6 while mouse focus is on the desktop.
    Right click on the desktop and choose your default view.

    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Thanks for the help.
    But something is still screwy here. Under the right click menu the item to show desktop icons appears to be
    what is causing this.

    If I right click as directed and un-check `show desktop icons'.. then there is not an icon to be seen, But up until a few days ago I had desktop icons but did not have the folder looking view I posted about. if I choose to check `show desktop icons' then I have icons but also the column nonsense ... Is there not something in between where you can see desktop icons but not the folder view, columns and such?
    Until very recently I had such a view, icons but no folder columns. Is this the result of a recent change.
    Last edited by Brink; 26 Apr 2017 at 09:28. Reason: added tutorial link for more info
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 9,206
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       24 Feb 2017 #4

    hput3 said: View Post
    ...recently the main desktop view when computer comes onhas acquired the look of a folder only with the normal desktop colors. That is, there is white band across the topwith such things as
    `| name | Size | Item Type | Date modified |'
    With columns under the headings shown. I must have inadvertently hit some kind of setting or other...
    It appears to have lost the properties that mark it out as a special folder to be displayed differently from any other. Amongst other things, these properties give the Desktop folder a special folder icon in File Explorer, one with a blue desktop on it. If the folder looks like all the others in File Explorer then this would tend to confirm the diagnosis.

    Have you moved your Desktop folder (or your personal folder) recently? If so, restoring the default location may reset its properties.
    Desktop Folder - Move Location in Windows 10
    Users Personal Folders - Restore Default Location in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    24 Feb 2017 #5

    Right click on your Desktop and choose another view:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000087.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	122554
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 Feb 2017 #6

    Bree said: View Post
    It appears to have lost the properties that mark it out as a special folder to be displayed differently from any other. Amongst other things, these properties give the Desktop folder a special folder icon in File Explorer, one with a blue desktop on it. If the folder looks like all the others in File Explorer then this would tend to confirm the diagnosis.
    The destop folder viewed in file explorer still shows the blue rectangle]

    Have you moved your Desktop folder (or your personal folder) recently? If so, restoring the default location may reset its properties.
    No, haven't ever moved it.
    Can you think of any other ways I may have mangled things enough to cause loss of those properties?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 6,606
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1809 17763.134
       24 Feb 2017 #7

    Being curious I tried Ctrl+Shift+6 and got the exact look @hput3 showed in his initial post.
    I then selected View / Medium icons and got a normal desktop with all icons on the left. I then had DesktopOK restore my icon layout and I thought all was well.

    Unfortunately, now every once in a while (have not tried to figure out the lenght of time yet) all the icons get smushed back to the left side again and I need to have DesktopOK put them back.

    I'd like to figure out what is causing this. Anyone have any ideas?

    Edit: Not sure but it may have been caused by selecting Medium icons instead of Small icons which is what I normally use.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 6,606
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1809 17763.134
       25 Feb 2017 #8

    Nope, that wasn't the cause. It's whenever the Desktop refreshes or if I right click on the Desktop and select Refresh, the icons all go to the left.

    Any idea how to fix this?

    Edit: now it just happened for no visible reason. No refresh or anything, icons just jumped to the left.

    This has to have been caused by doing the Ctrl+Shift+6 but I can't figure out what happened. The Desktop still appears to be a Desktop folder, not just a normal folder and I have view set to Medium again. The problem did occur when I had it set as Small.
    Last edited by Ztruker; 25 Feb 2017 at 00:49.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    25 Feb 2017 #9

    Ztruker said: View Post
    whenever the Desktop refreshes or if I right click on the Desktop and select Refresh, the icons all go to the left.
    Any idea how to fix this?

    Maybe try to play with "Align icons to grid" option?

    I would also try to logout and login and restart Windows Explorer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 6,606
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1809 17763.134
       25 Feb 2017 #10

    Unfortunately I've tried all of those things. I think I'll try creating a new account and see if the problem show sup there or not.

    BTW: This is not a new problem, been happening to people since Windows 8 from what I've seen doing Google searches. No definitive fix found yet other than reinstall, which I am not going to do. Maybe when the next major update (Win 10 Creator Edition) is release I'll reinstall if needed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi everyone, I seem to be having 2 issues with Windows 10 Pro x64 that occur simultaneously. The 2 issues are that my desktop icon positions are not being remembered (always shifting to the left after reboot - auto align is off) and my folder...
Solved Default Folder View? in General Support
Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick on folders I've opened.
desktop view in General Support
In W10 .... how do I switch from the start screen (with tiles) to a desktop with conventional icons?
Slow folder view in Performance & Maintenance
I have recently started to experience a slowing of the display of items and options when viewing disc content. - Sometimes when I click on a folder in Windows Explorer (or Directory Opus which I use mostly by default) the content of the folder...
Folder view not saving in General Support
I made a screenrecord for your understanding. Sendvid - Instant video upload
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:07.
Find Us