Windows 10: Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

  1. Posts : 7,626
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       08 Oct 2017 #31

    I have fast start up turned off, but not because I've had any problems (I haven't). I have a laptop with a 'spinner'. I routinely hibernate it when not in use, that start up 'fast' too. When I shut down it's usually because I want to boot from a USB, I don't get a choice of boot devices with fast startup turned on.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    08 Oct 2017 #32

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    The POST isn't skipped, you just get a truncated version of it. If you turn the BIOS Fast Boot option off, you see more status messages on screen. Status messages as it enumerates hardware etc. Turn it on and the extra info isn't displayed and you boot up quicker. I can still access my BIOS and BIOS quick boot menu with it on so I leave it on.
    The OP may be referring to Windows 10 Fast Boot and not The BIOS one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Oct 2017 #33

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    The OP may be referring to Windows 10 Fast Boot and not The BIOS one.
    That is the case if you read posts. Many bios's do not even have a bios fast boot option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 436
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit v1803 build 17133.73
       08 Oct 2017 #34

    depending on your mother board type fast boot from bios can keep you from getting back into bios because fast boot at start up bypasses the all the start up checks and boots past the access bios functions. i think and i had this problem with a gigabyte board. just a reminder. correct me if i am wrong on this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 273
    Windows 10 x64 Home 1703
       09 Oct 2017 #35

    Well, for me, Hybrid Boot / Fast Boot in Windows 10 makes no difference, the system boots quite fast without using it... even if I use an HDD. I have to agree with that user, but not because I don't like SSD's, but I feel them not as reliable, even with the fact that they don't have mobile parts... but those write and read limits and such still worries me... that was my reason to buy a 7200 RPM spinner instead of an SSD... well, that and capacity, 1 TB for me nowadays is a must... and that was insanely expensive for an SSD...

    In my case, I disabled hibernation, and taht means no fast boot for me, which I don't really need, I can reach desktop in 5 secs... that is quite fast and enough for me ^^

    Ah! I was forgetting, I've heard that SSD's need Fast Boot disabled to not shorten their liefspan... I guess that's a rumour only (Although seems meaningless to enable that, being SSD's quite fast already...).

    Just my two cents, tho.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Oct 2017 #36

    I'm running 3 PCs with SSDs from Intel, SanDisk & Samsung which are now between 3 and 5 years old. All still show 100% life remaining using the supplied SSD management utilities. Having said that, I've never had a hard drive fail either.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    09 Oct 2017 #37

    FerchogtX said: View Post
    Well, for me, Hybrid Boot / Fast Boot in Windows 10 makes no difference, the system boots quite fast without using it... even if I use an HDD. I have to agree with that user, but not because I don't like SSD's, but I feel them not as reliable, even with the fact that they don't have mobile parts... but those write and read limits and such still worries me... that was my reason to buy a 7200 RPM spinner instead of an SSD... well, that and capacity, 1 TB for me nowadays is a must... and that was insanely expensive for an SSD...

    In my case, I disabled hibernation, and taht means no fast boot for me, which I don't really need, I can reach desktop in 5 secs... that is quite fast and enough for me ^^

    Ah! I was forgetting, I've heard that SSD's need Fast Boot disabled to not shorten their liefspan... I guess that's a rumour only (Although seems meaningless to enable that, being SSD's quite fast already...).

    Just my two cents, tho.
    Those read/write limits are so last decade. Modern ssds have far more resilience that early generation ssds. A modern ssd will outlast an HDD even with heavy usage. Nice thing about ssds, is unless electronics fail, they fail in a more controlled manner, unlike hdds where you get all sorts of bad sector errors.

    It is more likely the electronic interface will crap out first, and risk of that is same on an HDD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    09 Oct 2017 #38

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    The OP may be referring to Windows 10 Fast Boot and not The BIOS one.
    I was replying to this post, Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ?

    On a side note: If it was always referred to as "Windows Fast Startup" it wouldn't be confused with the "BIOS Fast Boot". I'm as guilty as anybody else for miss stating it. Had to do a couple of edits in this thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 Oct 2017 #39

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 569
    Windows 10 Home SL 64-bit, v1803
       09 Oct 2017 #40

    I don't really see any point of buying an SSD if your aim is to just boost system performance. SSDs are still expensive today even though the technology is years old.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Related Threads
Got a BSOD on Windows 7, then the computer wouldnt boot to Windows anymore. Installed Windows 10 after many failed attempts on the installation finally managed to install it. Now I get BSOD and it wont boot. Could this be a HDD issue, CPU...
Howdy: Looking for guidance on optimal settings for new Dell system before I fire it up (specs in my profile). This is my first Win10 system and my first desktop, "production box" PC with dual drives (SSD (OS) + spinner (data)) and UEFI. ...
I must admit I don't know much about SSD drives. My current desktop (500 gb Samsung Evo) is the first time I've ever had one. So I worry about how quick they can wear out and of course fast start up is a feature switched on by default by MS. So is...
New tools promise to unlock the potential of Windows 10 Mobile and Lumia smartphone. Can Windows Phone Internals bring the hacker community back to the fold? Windows Phone has a very ironic history. Back in the mid-2000s it was the operating...
Slow warm boot & Fast cold boot in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, My Lenovo laptop is pretty fast at cold boot. It takes about 12 seconds from initial bios screen to desktop. On the other hand, warm boot is really slow. The same period takes about 51 seconds, involving a long black screen. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52.
Find Us